What happens when you take grilled cheese and pizza and jazz it up a bit? You get these monstrously delectable Grilled Pizza Roll Ups. The combo is so otherworldly that it will leave you weak in the knees and your kids with a new craving to add to their weekly line up of favorites.
Seriously, there are few recipes that are this simple and require little to no work or cooking skill for that matter. You just take your favorite sandwich bread roll it out, place a cheese stick inside (I’ve always got bags of these in our fridge on the bread), add diced pepperoni and roll them up. Then the easy part, just heat your favorite cast iron pan and warm up Tomato or Veggie Heavy Pizza Sauce to serve on the side.
If you don’t have time or patience to make homemade pizza during the week, this is the answer. My kids would live on pizza and grilled cheese if we let them, so why not mix it up to create this lively mash up.
One of the best part is that you can also leave the pepperoni out to make a vegetarian version and even add some finely chopped veggies to them if you want to play around a bit. After you fill the bread and start grilling them you will slowly see the cheese begin to melt and ooze out. It’s glorious to watch and smell.
I should suggest a time of day to make Grilled Pizza Roll Ups, but the best time is really any time. When the kids come home starving after school and still have plenty of homework ahead of them before dinner I’ll make these as a snack before dinner since they're basically only a piece of bread and a cheese stick. They’re the perfect pick you up to get you through to the next meal or make double for a filling dinner. One little tip_ after you cook them you want to serve as soon as possible to take advantage of the ooey gooey cheese that melts inside. It’s what makes these little bundles super special and a total winner!
Grilled Pizza Roll Ups (makes 4 roll ups)
- 4 slices Sandwich Bread
- 4 mozzarella cheese sticks or 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
- 4 pepperoni, diced optional
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce, warmed
- 1 tablespoon butter
1. Cut the crusts off the bread.
2. Using a rolling pin, roll out the pieces of bread until flat.
3. Place a cheese stick or 2 tablespoons of cheese on the edge of the bread closest to you and add the diced pepperoni if desired.
4 Tightly roll up the bread pressing the seam/end down to adhere.
5. Heat butter in a sauté pan over medium heat and cook the roll ups seam side down for 1-2 minutes or until golden.
6. Continue sautéing the rollups on each side until golden all over.
7. Cut each roll up into 4 “sushi rolls” and serve with marinara sauce.