I wouldn’t exactly call nacho cheese dip “healthy,” but considering all of the junk kids traditionally consume on Halloween, this dip will definitely give them a good protein boost to start off their evening of Trick or Treating and hopefully fill their bellies with something more nutritious than candy bars.
I don’t know about your kids, but if my kids see chips and something with cheese along side it, they’re totally in! With a few black bean “bugs” thrown in for fun and giggles, it’s a Halloween recipe for success!
"Buggy" Nacho Dip
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (8 oz cheese)
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Stir the butter and flour in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring continuously for about 1 minute or until bubbly and golden.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking continuously and bring to a boil.
- Simmer on low to medium heat for 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens (it should coat the back of a wooden spoon).
- Turn off the heat, continue to stir for another minute to cool then add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Stir in the black beans.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
- *This dip should be served warm as it solidifies when it gets cold. Reheat this dip in a sauce pan over low heat till it is warm.