Parents always complain to me that they can’t get their kids to eat broccoli. Still, I try to find new ways to use it in recipes, because broccoli is not only packed with beta-carotene, folic acid and vitamin C, it’s a fun food for toddlers to pick up.
Kenya loves holding the little “trees” and munching off the tops and then making his way down the stalk. Instead of “sneaking” or “hiding” it in your kids food, let them know how good it is for them. Eat some yourself and show them how much you love it or try dipping in hummus or another spread. Or try this recipe. It is such an All-American dish. It’s one of those comfort foods that’s actually kind of healthy (minus the cream sauce in the adult version, of course).
Chicken and Broccoli Casserole Purée
- Place the chicken and potatoes in a steamer pot over boiling water
- and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and continue to steam another 3 minutes or until the
- chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are fork tender.
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth
- (or leave chunky for toddlers). You may need to add water from the
- steamer pot to make smooth.
- Cool and serve.
- *Place in Baby Cubes and freeze.