When I first made these for Kenya, he wasn’t quite sure what to make of them. Was he supposed to play with them, eat them, toss them on the ground (usually all of the above when it comes to babies and their food). At 11 months, he was just getting introduced to foods HE can hold and put in his mouth.
The second time he tried them, I also offered them to his friend Mateo who was totally into the culinary treat. He popped them in his mouth life cheerios. Next thing you knew we were all eating them, grown ups included. I may even serve them for my next dinner party on an appetizer tray.
- 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1/3 cup baby oatmeal cereal*
- 1 ounce Chedder, Colby or Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Basil and Oregano
- Olive Oil, for pan frying
- *You can also use plain breadcrumbs instead of baby oatmeal cereal.
- In a bowl mix all ingredients until combined.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or more.
- Roll small meatballs and place on a parchment lined plate.
- In a sauté pan, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- Pan sear meatballs until just golden, about 5 minutes, turning once or twice.
- Cool on a paper towel lined plate and serve.
- To Freeze: After step 3, place raw meatballs in the freezer and freeze for 1 hour. Remove and place in a ziploc bag, label and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready, defrost in fridge for 24 hours and follow steps 4-6.