Spanish Rice

spanish-rice.jpg

I didn't realize it until recently, but Kenya is a rice eatin' machine. He'll eat rice no matter what time of day it is and forget a fork or a spoon -- he loves scooping it up with his hands right into his mouth (though I am working on using the fork and spoon more often). And whenever we go to Kenya's favorite Mexican restaurant, he proudly tells the waiter, "I want RICE".

This week I've been featuring series of new recipes that can be prepared using leftovers from the night before. It should come as no surprise that spanish rice is one of Kenya's favorites. I like to make a big batch of it and give him some of the rice one night, some in his lunch the next day with (yesterday's recipe) healthy "refried" beans and then some more in a chicken and rice burrito on the third night (look for that recipe to appear tomorrow). For those of you trying to stretch your budget and meal time preparation (and these days, who isn't?), this recipe is the perfect solution for achieving both!

Spanish Rice  (Serves 6)

• Cook Time: 1 hrs,

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped fine
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 cups brown rice (i used short grain brown rice)
  • 3 cups chicken stock (i used low sodium. you can also use vegetable stock if vegetarian. )
  • 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 2 teaspoons salt

1. 1. Heat the olive oil in a heavy bottomed pot.
  2. 2. Saute the onions for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
  3. 3. Place rice in the pot and stir to coat with oil.
  4. 4. Add the chicken stock, diced tomatoes and remaining ingredients and stir.
  5. 5. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 1 hour or until tender.
Spanish Rice

Comments

1. angelajo

March 10, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Am I correct in assuming I should you dried oregano and uncooked rice? Thank you~

March 11, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Yes and Yes!

2. Diana Harlick

February 18, 2013 at 8:44 pm

my daughter won’t eat tomatoes, but probably would eat it if I used tomato sauce. What quantity would you recommend for substituting tomato sauce for diced tomatoes?

February 19, 2013 at 11:11 am

you would use about 2 cups of tomato sauce!

3. Pingback: ספא תל אביב

4. Pingback: What’s For Dinner? – Mom's Secret Weapon

5. Pingback: Kamikaze Drink

6. Benton Grahm

December 2, 2010 at 7:36 am

Thank you so much, this was very interesting. I was actually born in Madrid ( not telling you when though!) but was moved around various parts of europe and finally settled in England when I was 5. I dont remember an awful lot of the few years I was in spain, but the smell of spanish food always seems to ring a bell in me or something. It’s weird how I dont remember anything except the smells,isn’t it! I even found a website dedicated to spanish recipes, which gave me great delight and thought I really should to share with your readers. Anyway, thank you again. I’ll get my husband to add your feed to my rss thing…

• Lark

February 5, 2014 at 4:33 pm

What I find so insitetreng is you could never find this anywhere else.

7. CP

May 19, 2010 at 8:33 pm

This was a great recipe. I added in some olives and kale and the kids devoured it. Thanks!

8. Jessica

January 7, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Thank you! Thank you! My 17 month old ate so much spanish rice tonight! He never eats so much (except for crackers) so I was so happy! It’s so healthy for him, too! I also made the refried beans and they were delicious! My toddler tasted them, at least! DH and I finished them off with chips. Yum!

9. Working mom

January 3, 2010 at 10:27 am

Great tasting, easy recipe. The whole family (including my 15-month old) enjoys this one!! Perfect for my vegetarian meals-only daycare.

10. Angie

October 27, 2009 at 2:38 pm

OMG, I love your site, it is too cute, and my toddler is a rice machine too! He loves anything with rice, spicy too!

11. Asline

October 22, 2009 at 10:49 am

LOVE IT!!!!!

12. Ming

October 21, 2009 at 7:52 pm

I like to just toss all the ingredients into a rice cooker and watch it come out perfect in about 45 minutes!

• Sameera

February 4, 2014 at 1:38 am

My fav meal (like you) was my mom’s homemade mracaoni and cheese. So simple, yet so good. We always had it every Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Amazing covered in ketchup.