Ham and Asparagus Quiche is super easy and perfect to serve at a cute brunch or even have on rotation for a simple weeknight meal.
The day I was testing this recipe a friend of mine came over and began oohing and ahhing about the smell from the moment she walked into the kitchen. I pulled this dish of loveliness from the oven she asked me what it was. “Quiche,” I said. “Quiche? What’s that?” she asked me. How is it possible that she had never heard of quiche?
Quiche is just a simple savory pie filled with a variety of fillings. It’s similar to a frittata, but quiche has a pie crust. It was almost a staple of my diet growing up in Kentucky. Whenever my mother was having people over for a “fancy” lunch she made it.
This one is filled with the beautiful asparagus I’ve been finding at the farmers’ market and bites of delicious, savory ham. If my friend was confused by what I made, you should have seen how perplexed my kids were when I put a slice of it on each of their plates that night. Neither one could seem to understand why I would put asparagus, ham and cheese in a pie. They actually found it quite funny. However, after tasting just one bite no one was laughing anymore and the sounds of ooh and ahh were heard in my kitchen yet again!
This recipe is a great make ahead recipe too. You can mix up the filling the night before and refrigerate it, then the next morning, just pop the filling into the pie crust and bake! It’s so easy. I make quiche all the time now for my family because they’re super customizable! You can put any of your favorite veggies in them and they’ll be equally delicious. If you want try out another quiche, this Caprese Quiche recipe is delicious!
Ham and Asparagus Quiche
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 cup chopped asparagus
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 unbaked pie crust* (you can make your own pastry dough or buy prepared crust at the grocery)
- Pie Crust:
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed & cold
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk, then stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Place the dough into a pie or tart pan and mold into the shape of the dish. Place the pie crust in the freezer for 10 minutes to chill.
- Pour the filling into the well-chilled pie crust, and bake for 50 minutes or until golden and cooked through (the center shouldn’t jiggle).
- Cool and serve.
- Place the first 3 ingredients in a food processor and pulse.
- Add cold butter and using on/off turns, process until coarse meals forms.
- Add the water 1 tbsp at a time and process until moist clumps form, adding more water 1 tsp at a time if mixture is dry.
- Form dough into a disk, wrap in parchment paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or until cold.