Apple Walnut Puree

Apple Walnut Puree

At this time of year the picking for seasonal fruits to feed your baby can be slim. However, when the kids and I went to our local farmer's market this past weekend, a myriad apples in tons of varieties were abundant: Pink Ladies, Golden Delicious, Gala, Fuji and more -- all sweet, crispy and delicious. Apples are one of those fruits that make the most delicious homemade baby food because when pureed, their texture is smooth and sweet -- perfect for brand new eaters.

I came up with this Apple Walnut Puree recipe for Parents Magazine as a part of an article on nuts for kids of any age. In the last few years there has been quite a bit of controversy about giving kids nuts before the age of 1, but the American Academy of Pediatrics recently changed their stance on the issue, suggesting that it is safe for babies to be consuming nuts as a part of their diets.* As long as nuts are in the form of a smooth nut butter or pureed very fine (whole or pieces of nuts still present a choking hazard to children under the age of 4), they are an excellent source of protein and important for babies growing bodies. Walnuts in particular are rich in Omega 3's.

This puree is so delicious that my kids, even though they are past the puree stage, eagerly devoured it. I don't know why I was surprised. When you think about how much most kids love apple sauce, it makes total sense why this puree should be an easy sell to any little one from 8 months or older since it's just like a nutty applesauce. And given that I caught my husband finishing the last batch I made the kids, I'd wager you may even win over some older fans as well.

Apple Walnut Puree  (Makes 6 Serving)

• 2 apples, cored and peeled (pink lady, fuji, or gala are all good choices)
  • 1/4 cup walnuts, shelled & halved
  • 1/8 teaspoons cinnamon

1. 1. Place apples and walnuts in a steamer pot over boiling water.
  2. 2. Cook for 7 minutes or until apples are fork tender.
  3. 3. Place apples, walnuts, cinnamon and 3 tbsp of the water from the steamer pot in a food processor and puree for 3 minutes or until smooth.
  4. 4. Cool and serve.
  5. *If your family has a history of food allergies or if you have any concerns, I highly recommend speaking to your pediatrician before offering nuts to babies or kids.
Apple Walnut Puree

Comments

1. Ambica

June 22, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Great stuff as I am giving my 7 month baby only homemade food :))

2. Pingback: Weekly Meal Plan: Jan 16-20 « Vancouver West

3. Michelle

March 7, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I had heard freezing pureed nuts can make them rancid. Is this true or is it ok to freeze this?

March 7, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I haven’t had a problem with freezing any purees! I recommend freezing for no longer than 3 months for baby food!

4. Audry Pettit

January 22, 2013 at 4:27 pm

What would be another way to steam these if I don’t have a steamer basket? Thanks

January 22, 2013 at 4:48 pm

You could place them in a pot or pan with just a small layer of water, cover and then they will sort of boil and steam at the same time. Let them cook for the same amount of time, until they’re soft. Then drain off the water before pureeing!

5. Pingback: Apple Walnut Puree | Splendid Nest

6. Pingback: 5 things Saturday – Favourite resources for baby-friendly food « Modern Mama in Vancouver

7. produce more milk

December 15, 2011 at 6:59 am

Hello there, just changed into aware of your weblog through Google, and located that it’s truly informative. I am going to watch out for brussels. I will appreciate should you proceed this in future. Numerous folks will be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

8. Pingback: Digital Cameras

9. Pingback: winrar gratuit

10. Pingback: Nursing Home

11. Pingback: 6 Tips For Dinning Out On A Diet

12. Veeraj

May 6, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Hi, very healthy one! I was wondering can I give it to my 7 months old?

13. Natalie

March 17, 2011 at 8:26 pm

love this idea!

14. Anna Claire

March 11, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I’m new to your blog but I read your recipe in Parents and have been making it for my 9-month-old, who LOVES it. I’ll admit I love it, too – and it freezes well :)

15. Kristin

March 10, 2011 at 3:29 pm

This looks great – I made all my baby food for my first set of twins, who are 3 now, and I think they will love this as a dip or spread – and I will definitely try it on the second set of twins (although they are only 7 weeks old, so I have to wait awhile . . . . . :).

Thanks for all the great ideas and recipes!

16. courtney

March 9, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Love this! Made it tonight. The 1yr old loved it and the rest of the kids liked it on pancakes.

17. anitasc

March 9, 2011 at 6:20 pm

my apples weren’t very sweet so I added a dash of maple syrup.. delicious! will try giving this to my 17 month old with yogurt tomorrow.

18. elana

March 9, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Sounds delish! Keep the puree recipes coming – my little one is starting solids in a few weeks, and I think my older one would love this as a spread:) Thanks!

19. K

March 9, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Do you think this would work with other nuts, like pecans or almonds?

March 9, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Yes it would :)

20. Moriah

March 9, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Studies have been done that show that giving nuts (and other highly allergic foods) to younger children can actually help to prevent an allergy from developing. Previously it was recommended withholding these foods until the age of 2 or older incase the child had an allergy to them. It has actually been shown that doing this can in fact INCREASE the chance of your child developing an allergy. If someone in your immediate family is prone to allergies you should check with baby’s doctor first, otherwise it is perfectly safe to introduce these foods to babies. We have never withheld foods from my son and I think it has helped him to be an adventurous eater! The only foods we did withhold were ones that would pose a choking hazzard or things like honey (which is avoided because children under one have GI tracts that are not fully developed, and they can have trouble breaking down the botulism spores that can be in the honey).

21. Gretchen

March 9, 2011 at 9:40 am

This looks very yummy…I’m thinking it would serve as a great dip for crackers too!

• Amanda

March 9, 2011 at 9:50 am

Probably really good with graham crackers!

22. Julie

March 9, 2011 at 8:57 am

This is a great idea! My kids are past puree stage, but I am going to make this and add it to yogurt for them!

• Rose

March 11, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I think I’m on Facebook too much – I was just looking for a “Like” button for your post :-) I love the idea of adding it to yogurt!

23. Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}

March 9, 2011 at 8:53 am

Wow I thought I was being a rebel when I introduced peanut butter at age 1. :-) I’m so excited to learn it’s becoming more acceptable to introduce nuts even younger. They are so delicious and nutritious–you can’t go wrong! Thanks for this.

24. Danielle V

March 9, 2011 at 8:12 am

This is so simple and easy and I never would have thought of it! What a great way to start incorporating nuts. Keep ‘em coming!