Spinach Gnocch-wee

Finally, I have a delicious recipe -- that you don't have to eat with a spoon -- for all those little ones without
teeth. I keep talking to parents whose 12, 13 even 14 month olds still
don't have teeth. They really want to move beyond purees, but need a
recipe soft enough for their little ones to chew (or gum). These spinach
gnocchi balls are so heavenly that Kenya only got his mitts on 8 or so
before the grownups had eaten them all up!

This is a recipe that Popeye would be proud of. Packed with spinach
and creamy ricotta, these little morsels are like soft pillows:
delicate and so easy to make. You could even serve them with a little
red sauce, but for easier cleanup, I highly recommend just a little
sprinkle of parmesan cheese and that's it!

We used these to make this recipe:

Photo by Maren Caruso

Spinach Gnocch-wee  (makes 40 small gnocchi balls)

teeth. I keep talking to parents whose 12, 13 even 14 month olds still
don't have teeth. They really want to move beyond purees, but...

• 10 ounces block frozen chopped spinach
  • 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
  • 2/3 cup parmesan cheese, plus 2 tbsp for sprinkling before serving.
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tablespoons flour, plus more for dusting your hands while rolling

1. 1. Defrost the brick of frozen spinach (you can also do this in the microwave).
  2. 2. Squeeze ALL (and I mean ALL) of the water out of the spinach in small handfuls (I use my hands and do it over a bowl to make sure I don’t lose any spinach).
  3. 3. Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse. You want to make sure the spinach is in tiny pieces and the mixture is thoroughly combined.
  4. 4. Dust your hands with a little flour so the mixture doesn’t stick to your hands.
  5. 5. Take 1 teaspoon of the spinach mixture and roll into tiny balls. Place on a plate covered with waxed paper or parchment.
  6. 6. Bring a large pot of water to a boil for cooking the gnocchi.
  7. 7. Add the gnocchi to the water in batches and cook for 3 minutes or until they rise to the surface.
  8. 8. Using a slotted spoon, remove the gnocchi to a plate or bowl.
  9. 9. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, cool and serve.
  10. *After step 5, place on sheet tray and freeze for 30 minutes. Transfer to a ziploc bag, label and freeze up to 4 months. When ready, thaw to room temperature and follow steps 6-9.
Spinach Gnocch-wee

Comments

1. Michelle

September 16, 2014 at 3:33 pm

These are gnudi, not gnocchi! Either way, they look yummy :)

2. Jaci

September 11, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Ok- I’ve made these twice now. First batch came out the best. They will fall apart & turn water green if you cook too long. Only cook these for 2 min.

Next- I used extra flour to try & make them a bit more solid and it didn’t do much but make them less tasty. I think getting the right kind of ricotta & blending it COLD so it’s harder when cooked is the way to go.

Also, make sure spinach is totally defrosted and squeeze really well.

I froze a few cooked and to defrost either just brought to room temp or microwaved and that worked just fine.

When made correctly (I think) they are pretty soft but do hold their shape. I feed then to my daughter with a fork but she LOVES them, they are a great way to get her to eat spinach!

3. Stephanie

August 8, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I was SO hoping this recipe would work for me. My daughter LOVES cheese and I thought she would definitely eat these. I squeezed the spinach for so long, then rolled them in paper towels and kept squeezing some more. Then I proceeded to squeezed more. When I tried to ball them, they were very sticky and mushy. I used A LOT of flour to form “balls,” (they pancaked as soon as I set them down), then when I boiled they turned the water green and fell apart. When I scooped out the remains after three minutes, they were just mushy blobs. I tossed the rest of the “dough,” and I hate wasting that much food, but it was clear this plan was derailed. I tasted one of the boiled ones, and it was a weird consistency; nothing like gnocchi. If anyone can suggest a veggie recipe w/ pasta or cheese that is easy to follow and turns out nicely, please suggest! Thanks.

4. Rebecca

July 24, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Has anyone had the problem of cooking after being frozen? Mine completely fell apart and liquified. When I cooked them fresh they where perfect.

• Andrea

August 12, 2014 at 1:12 pm

I froze mine uncooked. To cook I wrap the gnocchi in an aluminium foil pouch and bake for 30mins at 350F. This way the gnocchi are still round, not too mushy and my 12 month old baby can still pick up with fingers or fork.

5. Iris

July 15, 2014 at 2:07 am

I have an 8 month old daughter who is teething and would like home made recipes for her please.

6. Pingback: Spinach Gnocch-wee for Dinner

7. Samana Gardezi

March 7, 2014 at 10:50 pm

I just made these and they came out perfect. Like what Catherine said, the trick is to squeeze out good amount of water from the spinach and they are fine. I didn’t add extra flour in it but I did dust my hands

8. Jenifer

January 20, 2014 at 12:01 am

Has the issue of them falling apart been addressed? I see a lot of similar comments and the same thing happened to me. I even rung the spinach out very well. Has this recipe been revised?

9. Joanna

January 12, 2014 at 7:18 pm

I just made these for my 8.5 month old tonight. He DEVOURED them! I thought they were tasty too! I added about 1.5-2 extra tablespoons of flour, and they were still sticky, but they held together during cooking perfectly! Keep recipes like this one coming! :)

10. Morgan

October 21, 2013 at 6:56 pm

This recipe is so disappointing. It should be modified. My little girl was so excited to have these for lunch tomorrow. All they did was disintegrate into the water.

• heatherlynnn

November 8, 2013 at 10:17 am

@Moran – The first time I made them, they turned out perfect. Second time I made them, they also disintegrated into the water. The first time when I was rolling into balls, they did not stick to my hands. The second time, they were sticking to my hand. So, I think the reason for the fail is not enough flour. Try it again and make sure to flour your hands and the ball well so that it’s firm. It should hold its shape after you roll them. You should be able to pick them up off the cookie sheet without them sticking. Also, try a different brand of ricotta cheese – some are more “watery” than others.

11. Evelyn Rodriguez

October 8, 2013 at 4:29 pm

New grandma, want my grandchildren (TODDLER’S NOW) to be more healthy.

12. Jen lynch

October 4, 2013 at 8:37 pm

What would you recommend instead of ricotta? My little one has a cows milk allergy. They eat goats cheese could that be substitutes?

October 7, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Goat cheese should work if it is on the more wet side. The moisture in the ricotta helps these stick together!

• Frank

February 3, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I think the photos look deiluiocs! It looks just like pesto to me :). I’m allergic to pine nuts so I’m gonna try using almonds when I get around to making pesto from scratch :).

13. Pingback: Baby/Toddler Food Recipes We Like | diana meredith designs

14. karen

August 6, 2013 at 11:46 pm

I should have read the comments first. Mine also dissolved in water. This recipe needs to be modified.

15. Jessica

July 31, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Tried these tonight and they totally dissolved in the boiling water! What did I do wrong? Followed the recipe exactly…

16. Tina Maria Ganser

June 27, 2013 at 9:13 am

I would love to see new recipes for my 12 month old that the whole family can eat!

• Charlize R

July 16, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Check out pureelove.com There was a couple recipes you and your baby might like. I just made the turkey meatballs and they were very good. Sorry I can’t post a link!

17. Karin

May 9, 2013 at 9:53 pm

These were really good! They were incredibly sticky so I put the dough in the fridge overnight before I rolled it into balls. I’m not sure if that helped but it didn’t hurt. They were so squishy that my 7 month old couldn’t pick them up without squishing them to pieces so I fed them to him with a spoon. But they were tasty and fun for him to eat.

18. Janna

May 9, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I made these for my family the other night. I tested one before I boiled them all, I wanted to be sure I had the texture of the “dough” right. I ended up adding a bit of flour to the mix, which helped it hold together better. I liked the taste of the gnocchi, but the texture was a little slimy for our taste (the flour coating from my hands caused this, I think). So… I rolled the boiled gnocchi in a mix of Italian and panko breadcrumbs with a little more parm and broiled them! Heavenly. My husband and two young boys heartily agreed :)

19. Pingback: Spinach “Gnocchi” | twohappymamas

20. Stefania

April 27, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I just made these for my 8 month old and she loved them! One question though…are they supposed to be super mushy? I boiled them for 3 mins and they were floating in the pot but they are very very mushy.

April 29, 2013 at 12:18 pm

They are pretty soft, which makes them perfect for little ones!

21. naaz

April 25, 2013 at 11:06 am

Hi
    Can I use fresh spinach ? If so how do I cook it?

Can you explain how I can freeze it?

Thanks
    Love your ideas:-)

22. Stefania

April 17, 2013 at 5:43 pm

I just tried making them and they completely fell apart :( I squeezed all the water out!! What did I do wrong?

• Marisol

February 2, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Georgiana – Yes, cooking it for a long time is what delpoves that slightly sweet, deep flavor which is why using a slow cooker is so amazing! You don’t have to babysit it on the stove top :D I looked up pictures of passata to try and get a better idea of what you have to work with. It looks like our “tomato sauce” which is just a little more uniform in texture and a little more liquid than crushed tomatoes. It probably will work for the sauce, it will just be rather smooth. Of course, you’ll still want to add the tomato paste/puree as I do in this recipe. If I were you, I would use all three, one large can of passata, one large can of chopped tomatoes, and one small can of tomato paste… and then try to use the immersion blender again, despite its messiness ;) Good luck, I hope you achieve your ultimate sauce!!

• Kellie

April 23, 2013 at 5:34 am

Did you really really squeeze the spinach? I used a pasta strainer, put it in there and then pushed down with a dish towel. I did this a couple times until it was super super tight, confined, and dry (you can even re-break it apart and re-squeeze just to be sure). Also, maybe next time refrigerating the balls for half and hour or so? I also saw that someone mentioned a little extra flour helped so when I added the flour, I didn’t worry to much about making it super level. Good luck – they are worth the hassle.

• Stefania

April 27, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I just made them for the second time and they came out perfect! I added a little more flour too.

23. Pingback: …just keep cooking | Organic Vemistry

24. Kellie

April 10, 2013 at 6:18 pm

I just tried this recipe for my 8 month old (and my husband & I). It was sooo awesome!!! I read the comments and saw that some people’s fell apart so I made an extra effort to make sure all the water was out of the spinach. I also prepped it on Monday night and just refrigerated the dough until Wed. (tonight). They turned out perfect! My little man had them with marinara sauce and parm while I made a roasted red pepper sauce for my hubby and I. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

• Pipe

February 3, 2014 at 4:14 am

Hi – I was planning to make this sauce and use half of it in one reipce and the other half for a different reipce. If one of the other reipces requires meat (it’s braciole) simmer in a crockpot for five hours in (this) tomato sauce, am I at risk for the sauce overcooking, given it’s cooked the first time for eight hours and the second time for about five hours? Does refrigerating it in between the two cooking processes help?

25. Pingback: week 2 and going strong | Organic Vemistry

26. bbsmama

April 4, 2013 at 9:47 am

Didn’t read the comments initially & my first few gnocchi turned to absolute mush. Remedy that worked for me: double the flour, put mixture in refrigerator before making into balls, low boil. Also placed onto paper towel when removed from water to absorb a little more. Picky daughter LOVED these. It took me a lot longer to make the whole recipe, especially with the extra experimenting. Definitely make these in advance for the first time. The reason I figured out the refrigerator tip was b/c my daughter needed my attention after 45 mins of experimenting, so I had to put it away to attend to her!

27. Pingback: Passover Spinach Ricotta Gnudi | Rob's Kitchen

28. Michelle

March 14, 2013 at 3:01 pm

My very picky 13 month old who won’t eat ANY vegetable ate 2 of these. I will be trying them again later to see if he will eat more. Thanks for the recipe and youtube video. Looking for more recipes for my picky veggie eater.

29. Natalie

March 2, 2013 at 10:45 am

I added 1/3 c of whole wheat pastry flour and this worked much better.

30. Natalie

March 2, 2013 at 10:22 am

I guess I didn’t get enough moisture out of the spinach because when I put the balls in the water they just fell apart and then I had spinach water… what can I do to fix the rest of the batter?

31. Joanna Cook

February 26, 2013 at 1:46 am

My 8 month old and I both loved these but my husband and 3 year old wouldn’t have anything to do with them! He quietly mentioned that they looked a bit like “turd balls”, haha never good. Anyways, prob won’t make them again but at least me and the babe enjoyed a delicious meal!

32. MS

February 25, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I made these tonight for dinner, and followed the recipe exactly, but they didn’t come out well at all. I had to use a LOT of flour to coat the gnocchi so they didn’t completely dissolve in the water, and even so a lot of the gnocchi dissolved in the water. We only got about 8 good gnocchi, so I feel like I wasted some good ricotta and parmesan, not to mention spinach. The gnocchi that turned out weren’t very flavorful, even though I added three cloves of fresh garlic to the dough – I’d recommend adding some salt, garlic, and red pepper flakes for a more adult-friendly meal.

33. Kat

February 25, 2013 at 11:00 am

Looking forward to trying these! A good trick that I learned from Food Network (I think it’s a Rachel Ray trick) is to put your thawed spinach into a clean dish towel (smooth cotton seems best), roll it up like a tootsie roll in a wrapper, and twist the ends HARD (with the spinach inside) to remove the moisture. Voila, dry spinach! * I have a green cotton dish cloth that I reserve for this purpose.

34. Shelly

December 7, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Hi. Made this recipe out of your cookbook. I substituted bok choy leaves for the spinach, cottage cheese for the ricotta, and quinoa flour for the all purpose flour. So I guess it wasn’t really the same recipe? Anyway, thanks for the idea and the guidelines. My 12 month old loved them.

December 7, 2012 at 3:35 pm

This sounds delicious!

35. Pralinerose

November 20, 2012 at 6:32 am

Hi Catherine,
    I would like to freeze my spinach gnocch-wee but i’m scared because the spinach will be frozen and defrost and frozen again, and I thought it was dangerous to freeze food twice? What do you think about that? Have you already frozen the spinach gnocch-we? Thank you
    (I’m sorry I’m French so i don’t speak english very well!)
    PS: Your blog is really fabulous!!!!!!!

November 20, 2012 at 1:26 pm

That’s a great question. It isn’t a great idea to thaw and re-freeze foods depending on the food. But! Because the spinach is thawed, then prepared and mixed into a new dish, it is okay to re-freeze it. Frozen spinach has already been cooked once which is an important factor in re-freezing foods.

• Pralinerose

November 21, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Thank you very much for your answer ! I made your recipe and it was really delicious (or should I say weelicious ;-))At last, I have cooked spinach in a pan to defrost it and I have frozen a part of my spinach gnocch-wee for an other meal later. I have published the recipe on my French blog today (with a link to your website of course and your name mentioned) I hope you are ok!

36. Tina

October 30, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I am excited to try this recipe! Does it make any difference if I use frozen chopped spinach in a bag? I generally buy the bagged on at TJ. Thanks!

October 30, 2012 at 4:19 pm

That will work great!

37. Holly Smolenski

August 2, 2012 at 12:06 pm

For people looking for a similar but maybe easier spinach ricotta recipe, this weelicious recipe for spinach ricotta bites is one of my favorites and it freezes really well. I make a batch every other week and freeze them, then defrost a couple for daycare lunches. YUM!

38. sleeping problems

August 24, 2011 at 5:18 am

yep really good content …for sure…. it’s awesome to see that your posting some unique stuff here !

39. pattyjoe

May 9, 2011 at 10:17 pm

For those allergic to wheat, I prepared the exact recipe but changed the flour for HARINA PAN, a corn flour found in latin markets. It was amazing!!!!! My kids devoured them!!!!

40. Nancy

April 21, 2011 at 4:15 pm

These remind me of Giada’s Gnudi. Very similar recipe (which I’ve been craving recently). Very good with Marinara sauce as well (just a little more messy)

41. Katie Y

February 17, 2011 at 12:15 am

Tried to make these for dinner tonight by myself with two little ones and it took me about 2 hours. :( By the time they were finished the baby (11 months) was asleep and my 3 year old refused to try them. So sad. At leas half of the batch didn’t go to waste, I chowed down on them. So yummy! Can’t wait for baby to try them for lunch.

42. Karmen

January 11, 2011 at 11:43 pm

My 5 year old son and I made these together tonight, and they were terrific! We made traditional gnocchi, too, but both he and our 1 year-old preferred these. Based on the reviews, I added 1/2 of a cooked sweet potato to the mix to help hold them together. They cooked up perfectly.

43. Melanie

December 8, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I just made these and my girls are still taking their nap. It is taking all I have in me to not eat every single one of them, they are so good! Thank you for coming up with recipes that not only babies like, but adults as well. It saves me a lot of time to be able to make one meal for the whole family.

44. Amy

November 19, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Any suggestions for making these dairy free? I am thinking of trying a vegan ricotta cheese (soy based, but am not sure how it will turn out)

November 22, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Unfortunately you need the egg and cheese as binders. Let me know if you test it out with any other substitutes though and see if it works :)

45. Lisa

November 2, 2010 at 10:34 pm

I put these in my 4 year old’s lunch for tomorrow. I hope he likes them. They came out really good and look quite tasty. I would try some, but, I’m still full from dinner. Thanks for a great recipe!

46. Shalu

October 27, 2010 at 10:14 pm

I made them tonight for my 11 month old tomorrow’s lunch. They came out perfect. I dint have ricotta cheese in hand, so used cottage cheese instead. Cant wait her to try these. I also tried banana bites and tex-mex rice cakes from your website. My husband loved the rice cakes and wanted them again today for evening snacks. Thanks a ton for posting these wonderful recipes.

47. page

September 24, 2010 at 2:30 pm

What would you use instead of the egg for the ones that are allergic? Just the powdered egg replacer or something else?

September 27, 2010 at 2:01 pm

You can combine 1 Tbsp of ground flax seed with 3 tbsp of water to replace the egg

48. Katie

September 16, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Could I use fresh Spinach?

September 20, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Yes you can, you just need to saute them down and then drain ALL the liquid then chop and toss them in.

49. Heather

September 10, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Made these today for my 20 month old. He loved them. I made sure the water was a super low boil, and they turned out perfect!!!

50. Heather

September 9, 2010 at 5:40 pm

I was wondering what I could add to make the texture a bit more “adult-friendly”. The flavor is AWESOME (even my picky 3 year old loved them!!) but they were a bit too squishy for my liking.

September 10, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Hmm interesting question, how about making it a true gnocchi and putting some potatoes?

51. Sarah

September 9, 2010 at 12:12 pm

These came out perfectly, but my 1 yr old only seemed to like them fresh out of the pot & warm. :)

52. Jenn

September 3, 2010 at 10:46 am

Has anyone done this with freshly grated Parmesan? Its all I have in the house.

September 3, 2010 at 1:54 pm

This would be fabulous with freshly grated parm!!

53. Larisa

August 31, 2010 at 7:41 am

I made these last night and they came out pretty well! I actually started them the day before but ran out of time, so I put the mixture in the fridge. I formed the balls yesterday (with the mixture cold from the fridge) and cooked them – I made sure the water was not boiling super fast. They came out delicious and did not break apart. My son ate a few pieces, even though he had already finished his dinner!

54. crystal

August 26, 2010 at 6:29 pm

How long should these cook for? Mine started floating after around 30 seconds. I dont think they cooked long enough the texture was really creamy.

August 30, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Once they start to float – cook for another 30 seconds and take them out :)

55. Jana

August 24, 2010 at 1:32 pm

I make gnocchi very often with potatoes instead of spinach, my babe loves them and its them by the mouthful. I dont like to feed him too much spinach because he poops a lot afterwards!!! but I do make him spinach empandas, that he loves!!

56. Mindie VanBoxel

August 24, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I wonder if you could use rice flour and make these gluten free?

August 24, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I don’t see why not, if you try them let me know how they turn out!

57. Lisa

August 18, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Mine also completely dissolved in the boiling water and I definitely squeezed the heck out of the spinach &only used the yolk. I had frozen them & when I went to check on them at the 4 minute mark, it was a pot of spinach water. I have hte rest frozen & will try some alternative ways of cooking them I think!

August 18, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Hmm.. did they hold together in balls before you froze them? The issue may be the freezing. Let me make them again tomorrow, freeze and then cook them to see if I can come up with any good tips! You could also try defrosting them in the fridge and then cooking them according to the directions. That should help!

• cocovolleyball

July 19, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I had the same problem of them dissolving when they are frozen. I changed the water temperature (simmer to low boil), tried them frozen and slightly thawed but they either dissolved or were still frozen in the center. However, when I cooked them while they were fresh, they held.
        I will try baking as Lisa suggests.

• Lisa

August 21, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Think I could bake them instead? I’ll try the defrost method first. To answer your question- yes they were in balls, I even stacked them on wax paper in a container to freeze them & they held up to that.

58. ap

July 31, 2010 at 11:04 am

ok i dont know what went wrong… the gnocchi fell apart and i was left with a pot of water filled with ricotta and spinish mixture… what do you think i did wrong to cause it all to fall apart?

August 2, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Your spinach may have not been squeezed all the way to get rid of all the liquid. I would say that would have been the problem. You have to really squeeze all the liquid out, if you feel like its dry, its not! Keep draining that liquid! Also, did you use just the egg yolk?

• ap

August 7, 2010 at 7:42 am

Thanks – this is helpful. will try this recipe again… on the bright side, i drained the water out and took the spinach mixture (didnt want to waste all of the mixture), sauted it with diced onions and garlic and mixed in some marinara sauce. voila! the result was a yummy spinach ricotta sauce – served over pasta with meatballs… tasted more like lasagna then regular pasta.

• Jennifer

August 4, 2010 at 4:08 pm

The other possible problem is that the water was boiling too vigorously. I had this problem with the first couple that I put in the pot. I turned the heat down a bit so it was a gentle boil instead of a rolling boil and the rest of the batch came out perfect. They were great too, by the way, I plan to make them again tonight.
        One other note, if your mixture is too wet, you can always add a little bit of flour, a Tbsp at a time, until you get to a better consistency.

59. Cindy

July 23, 2010 at 5:06 pm

what am i missing? how is the spinach mix and gnocchi combined?

July 26, 2010 at 5:00 pm

You are not missing anything, take all the ingredients and put them in the food processor and pulse to combine. The gnocchi is what the spinach mixture is called when you form them into balls and place them in boiling water to cook. Gnocchi is the name of the dish.

60. Abby

June 7, 2010 at 5:11 pm

LOVED this… we could not stop eating them ourselves! Perfect texture!

• Abby

August 1, 2010 at 7:08 am

Also – love that you have some recipes for kids with no teeth – my LO refuses baby food – so we’ve been doing finger foods for awhile now. At 10 months he still has no teeth – so this was perfect!

61. Trish

October 19, 2008 at 4:38 pm

I tried this recipe for dinner tonight. I followed the instructions exactly but the balls fell apart after approximately a minute in the boiling water. I’m not sure why this happened and I am hoping you have an idea. I would like to figure out the problem and try once more as the recipe sounds great.

Thanks so much for your time and thanks for all the recipes you are sharing.

Trish

62. Adina

September 10, 2008 at 7:09 am

Hi, i tried making this gnocchi but found that the little balls didn’t hold together too well. they were very soft and barely held their shape. i followed the recipe exactly. how soft are they supposed to be? my son wouldn’t touch them, but he is going through a picky stage (he’s 12 months). i pinched off some and put it in his mouth, but he was still not interested. any thoughts?

63. Heather

September 2, 2008 at 8:12 pm

Just discovered your site, looks fantastic.
    Can these spinach Gnocci be frozen?
    Thanks

64. linda

August 27, 2008 at 2:32 pm

What a mess! Spinach mush. I loved your salmon cooking method, but this one was a clunker. Could I have done something wrong? My hands were a mess. Thank God my daughter was asleep. If she were next to me, there’s no way I could’ve made this.

• Natalie

March 2, 2013 at 10:23 am

Same thing happened to me. I’m so frustrated!