Portobello Pizzas - Weelicious

Portobello Pizzas

portobello-pizza.jpg

Oh my goodness, these are amazing! I'm not just saying that from an adult culinary point of view either. I made these for 8 kids, age 20 months to 5 years old and even the 5 year old who supposedly hates everything gobbled them up. The best part is that the "crust" is a vegetable (not more bread), but they look just like pizzas.
The big bonus is that they took me no time to prepare and I had barely any clean up. I was kind of scared the kids would say "wait, this isn't REAL pizza," but not a word. Happy kids make happy mommies. What could be better?

Portobello Pizzas  (4 Big Kid Servings)

• 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon thyme, basil and oregano
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 portobello mushrooms, stems removed (wiggle the stem back and forth gently to remove)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
  2. 2. Place the first 4 ingredients in a bowl to combine.

3. 3. Line a cookie sheet with foil and brush lightly with olive oil.

4. 4. Place the mushrooms stem side down on the cookie sheet, brush the tops with olive oil and bake for 10-15 minutes depending on how big your mushroom is. Discard any excess liquid that is on the cookie sheet.
  5. 5. Turn over the mushrooms stem side up, cover with 2-3 tablespoons of tomato sauce and 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese.
  6. 6. Bake the mushrooms for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

Portobello Pizzas

Comments

1. adrimolina

August 5, 2013 at 7:19 pm

How long are these good in the frigde for?

2. adrimolina

August 1, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Delicious & Easy!

3. tyler

November 15, 2010 at 6:20 am

sounds good will have to make it some day.. mushrooms are fugi not vegitables just saying :|

4. Lisa

September 21, 2010 at 11:55 am

OOPS! I think I did this backwards today. I baked them stem side down with the tomato sauce on top. Oh well. I hope they’re good. They are in the oven right now.

5. jenni

March 5, 2010 at 10:13 am

My 16 month old love these so much that he practically inhales them. Thank you so much for another great recipe!

6. Pingback: Pita Pizzas | Weelicious ™ - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food (and now for big kids too!)

7. Kim

December 4, 2008 at 4:00 pm

Hi,
    First off, thanks again for speaking with the Silver Lake MOMS Club. It was great having you there.

Most importantly, I wanted to share a little story with you.

Today, my 13-month old could not wait the 10 minutes for our oven to heat and 10 minutes for the Portobello pizzas to cook, so I offered him a left-over appetizer.
    “Would you like some fish pie?” A wave of his arm says, “no.”
    “Would you like some veggie “fried” rice?” Another arm-wave.
    “How about Shepherd’s Pie?” After looking carefully through the glass container, eyes go wide, a smile arrives, and clapping ensues. That’s the ticket! (Despite having happily eaten all 3 of these dishes earlier in the week.)

As he happily eats his pie, the pizzas are done. I start to eat. He asks for a bite, and the rest of his lunch is portobello pizza interspersed with shepherd’s pie.

Thank you so very very much for getting my kid to eat a gigantic portobello mushroom and countless others veggies.

Sincerely,