Red Lentil Puree

red-lentil-puree.jpg

One of my favorite things about my son is that he will happily eat just about anything. But one of the challenges during meal time is that if there are trains, toys or anything else fun and exciting within his view (no matter what I hide before dinner there is always bound to be something in his line of site that are more exciting than eating!), he wants to be playing with them instead. For that reason, I usually have 5-10 minutes to get him to eat a nutritious, balanced dinner before he is focused on something else. I've also noticed that if he eats something pureed or soft and easy to chew, I can maximize the amount of food he gets down in that period of time. If I give him a dish that he loves, but takes a while for him to chew and break down, he gets tired of it and sometimes doesn't eat nearly as much. For that reason, I love making him this soft flavorful dish.

Red lentils cook quickly and become really soft which is perfect for little mouths. By adding vegetables and spices to them, they become a vitamin-packed, delicious, Indian inspired meal. If you serve it with brown rice, it makes a complete protein which is perfect for times when you don't want to spend extra money on meat or fish, but you want your little one to be building muscles!

Red Lentil Puree  (serves 4-6)

• 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into a small dice
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 14 oz can tomato puree
  • 1 cups red lentils, rinsed well
  • brown or white basmati rice

1. 1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
  2. 2. Saute the onions and carrots for 4 minutes.
  3. 3. Add the garlic, ginger, curry, cumin and turmeric and cook for 2 minutes.
  4. 4. Add the lentils, water, salt and tomato puree and bring to a boil.
  5. 5. Stir, cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 35 minutes or until creamy and tender.
  6. 6. Serve with basmati rice.
  7. *Allow to cool, store in appropriate container or ziploc bag, label and freeze up to 4 months. When ready, defrost in fridge for 24 hours or place in pot and bring to heat over low-medium heat.
Red Lentil Puree

Comments

1. Jessica Avila

January 2, 2014 at 12:22 am

Are the spices and rice safe to give my 10 month old who also does not have teeth?

2. Ann Marie

September 6, 2013 at 3:24 pm

There are so many types of curry powder out there – just wondering what one(s) work best in this recipe?

3. curlymama

September 2, 2013 at 10:34 am

Looks yummy. I am nervous first time mama… can you serve whole brown rice to a 9 month old or would you just do the puree?

• Maria

February 2, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Hello, a good friend of mine just reeefrrd me to your blog. This recipe sounds right up my alley. as for soaking the almond meal, do you grind your own almonds? If you soaked your almonds and then ground them you wouldn’t have to soak the meal.oh and Jann’e I hate to answer on someone else’s blog. But I wouldn’t bake flax. Heating flax will break down it’s nutrients and actually cause the oil to turn “rancid” causing a carcinogen. Flax is incredibly sensitive. The best way to eat flax is freshly ground and topped on cereal, smoothies, waffles, ect.glad I found your blog, looking forward to reading more!Brittany

4. Jenn

March 1, 2013 at 10:53 am

Just curious if this freezes well? Only myself and my 8 month old would be eating it. There is no way my hubby would touch it.

• Jenn

March 1, 2013 at 10:58 am

My bad. Just saw the freezing directions. Need to learn to be more thorough in my reading!

5. Vanessa

December 24, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I know that when I introduce new foods to my 6 month old daughter, I wait a few day to see if she has a reaction to them. Did you do this for spices as well? This sounds great for my family but I have never given her cumin, turmeric, garlic, or ginger. I know you aren’t a doctor, I just wondered what guidelines you followed?

December 26, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Since your daughter is so young I would follow the few days rule to see how she reacts!

6. sfcamarc

November 6, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I just made this for the first time this weekend. Delicious! Can’t wait for my 4 month old to get a bit older. My 4 year old isn’t a very adventuresome eater, but I hope seeing is baby brother try new things will entice him.

7. Sarah

October 23, 2012 at 8:56 pm

That’s an awful lot of ingredients and prep work for a baby meal!

• Janine

November 8, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Our whole family ate this. It was delicious, nutritious and filling.

8. kxlolson

September 1, 2012 at 7:47 pm

My 9 month old had the same reaction as Yvonne’s above! She loved it too! Thank you!

9. Yvonne

May 16, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Such a great recipe! I couldn’t feed my 9 m old fast enough. He loved it!

• Carlos

February 3, 2014 at 1:32 am

Thank you! I appreciate your eofrft and reasoning behind this debate. Thank you for prohibiting any type of name calling and propaganda. This debate is exactly what the vaccine war’ needs! Again, THANK YOU!

10. Pingback: Celebrity fanpage

11. Jaime

May 16, 2011 at 12:46 pm

How do you think this would turn out with other types of lentils, such as green (which are my favorite and the type I usually have on hand)? I’ve never tried the red, though I recently noticed them as a new item at our co-op.

12. Pingback: One Family. One Meal. | Weelicious ™ - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food and recipes for the entire family!

13. Kathy

February 4, 2009 at 11:32 am

Oh my goodness, you sounded like you described my 13 month old daughter! EXACTLY the same. She loooooves to eat, but she also loves to play. Thanks for the recipe suggestion. I have red lentils I bought a while back and didn’t know what to do with them. I do now!