I make one pot meals as often as possible so I know dinnertime will be easy. Especially when I'm not at my most focused (can you ever be focused when you’re seemingly always feeling exhausted and the kids are running around driving you crazy?), one pot meals ensure I don't have to think about having to turn on the oven and 2-3 burners in order to get the dinner on the table AND clean a bunch of pots and pans afterwards. As the name suggests, “one pot” means a meal that is simple to prepare and even simpler to clean up.
You can easily serve this Indian Vegetable Rice as a vegetarian entree or as a side dish for chicken or fish (which will leave you some leftovers for your next day’s lunch). My kids are big fans of most rice recipes and they love the flavor of curry so this reasonably inexpensive meal goes over very well with my clan and hopefully will for yours too.
Indian Vegetable Rice (Serves 4)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 1 Small Garlic Clove, minced
- 1 Cup Brown Basmati Rice
- 1 Small Russet Potato, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 Medium Carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 Tsp curry powder
- 2 Cups Water
- 1/2 Cup frozen peas
Preparation1. Heat oil in a medium size pot over medium heat and sauté onions for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté an additional minute.
2. Add the rice, potato, carrots, salt and curry powder and stir to combine.
3. Pour 2 cups of water into the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 40 minutes.
4. Fluff rice with a fork, add the peas and combine.