I always heard there is no harder job than being a mom, but not until I had my own kids did I understand what that really meant.
Being a mother is all consuming. Weelicious may be my passion and creative outlet, but being a mom is my real job. No matter whether they work full time, part time or not at all, that's true for most mothers I know. From the second you wake up until the time you go to bed (and possibly several times during the night if you've been in my house the past 4 1/2 years), your work never ends. It's all at once exhausting, exhilarating, empowering, frustrating and most of all, a magical experience.
And within my "job" there never seems to be enough time to do the things I need to do (if I am lucky these days I make it to the dry cleaner once every 2 months). Sometimes it feels like I have to move mountains to carve out 20-30 minutes of my day just to get a meal on the table for that night. Mornings can be so busy for me that I've started doing a good bit of crock pot cooking midday before school pick up, so having a one pot meal like this Crock Pot Mexican Tortilla Lasagna is perfect for my schedule.
Layered with tortillas instead of lasagna noodles and packed with tons of veggies, salsa and cheese, this is a delicious meal that's great when you want utter convenience and a dinner that is unique and special. Just toss in all of your ingredients, turn your crock pot on and come home a few hours later to a finished meal that will make the hardest job in the world look easy!
Photos by Gerry Speirs
Crock Pot Mexican Tortilla Lasagna (Serves 8)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 1 lb Lean Ground Turkey
- 1 Tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Tsp chili powder
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 1 Cup Carrots, peeled and grated (about 2 carrots)
- 1 Cup frozen corn kernels, defrosted
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1 12 oz Pkg. Corn Tortillas (12 Tortillas)
- 2 Cups Mexican Cheese Blend
- 2 16 oz Jar Mild Chunky Salsa
Preparation1. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large sauté pan and cook the onions for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté an additional minute.
2. Add the ground turkey meat, cumin, salt and chili powder and cook for 6-7 minutes until cooked through. Place turkey mixture aside and cool.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the egg and sour cream together. Add the cooled turkey mixture, carrots, corn and cilantro and mix to combine.
4. Spread a 1 cup of salsa on the bottom of the crock pot.
5. Layer 5 tortillas on top of the salsa, cutting them if necessary to fit the crock pot and covering the salsa completely.
6. Place half the turkey mixture on top of the tortillas and top with 1 cups of salsa and 1/2 cup of cheese.
7. Add another layer of 3 tortillas on top of the cheese. Pour the remaining turkey mixture on top of the tortillas and top with another 1/2 cup of cheese.
8. Top the lasagna with another layer of tortillas, pour the remaining salsa on top and cover with 1 cup of cheese.
9. Cook on low for 2 1/2 hours.