These days I seem to come across more and more parents who have become vegan and are raising their kids to be vegan as well. They are not alone. Veganism is certainly becoming more popular. Even former President Bill Clinton is one!
Being a vegan doesn't mean that all you can eat for the rest of your life are twigs and branches (rice and beans is possibly a better example, but that's not all you are limited to either). Vegans can enjoy a wide variety of delicious eating options. Any while it can be a challenge getting kids to steer clear of anything containing meat, cheese, eggs and honey, there are still tons of fun choices you can provide your family that will keep everyone happy and make mealtime fun!
Seitan is made from wheat (which is why it is sometimes referred to as wheat meat) and is a fabulous meat substitute for all of those recipes you dream of making for your vegan family. I have to say, even if you're not a vegan, seitan is delicious. Sautéed and crumbled up it looks and tastes just like ground meat, and when mixed with spices it's pretty incredible. You may even fool some die hard meat eaters you know!
Seitan Tacos - Vegans and Carnivores Unite! (serves 8 )
- 2 teaspoon canola or vegetable
- 1/2 Small Onion, diced
- 8 ounces seitan, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 8 hard taco shells
Preparation1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté the onions for 5 minutes, or until they are soft and translucent.
2. Add the seitan, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and lime juice to the skillet and stir to combine.
3. Sauté until the seitan is golden brown and warmed through, about ten minutes.
4. Fill taco shells with seitan mixture, top with desired accompaniments and serve.