When I started One Potato, I wanted to make sure there were tons of DIY recipes. I find that when kids are presented with a variety of food choices and opportunity to participate in what goes on their plate they tend to grab more than you might think. This happens every time we make Chicken Burrito Bowls, Forbidden Black Rice Bowls and especially these Turkey Taco Bowls. Grab a bowl and put layer after layer of your favorite topping until you've got your dream taco, but in a bowl!
I start by making juicy ground turkey with tons of seasoning that is the calling card for everyone to head in to dinner! Then the good times begin. Start with some lettuce or tortilla chips and continue by grabbing handfuls of lettuce, a scoop of sour cream, chopped tomatoes and of course tons of guacamole on top! Don't look any further when you want a Taco Tuesday dinner that everyone will request. These Turkey Taco Bowls will become a week night favor in no time flat!
Photos by Matt Armendariz
Turkey Taco Bowls (serves 4)
- 1 tablespoon olive, canola, or vegetable oil
- 1 small Onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound lean or white meat ground turkey
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 16-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup shredded mexican blend cheese
- 1 bag corn tortilla chips
1. Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat, add oil and sauté onions and garlic for 3 minutes. Add ground turkey using a wooden spoon to break up the pieces and cook for 3 minutes.
2. Add bell pepper, taco seasoning, salt and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until turkey is cooked through. Add cilantro and lime juice and set aside.
3. To assemble, divide the lettuce between individual serving bowls, top with turkey mixture, black beans, cheese, chopped tomatoes and chips.
4. Top with sour cream, salsa, guacamole and/or your favorite hot sauce. Alternatively you can place all of the ingredients in separate bowls for a fun DIY meal!
optional garnishes: sour cream, salsa, guacamole, hot sauce