Super Juice

super-juice.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of serving bottled and canned juices to kids because they're usually packed with sugar and fillers. If your kids love juice -- Kenya certainly does -- this is a great replacement to what you would buy in the grocery store because it's like a meal in a glass. But it's juice. How is this possible, you may ask?

I'm totally aware that just the thought of collard green juice will make most of you nauseous. I get it, most of us don't even cook collard greens to eat, let alone to drink. The best part of this juice besides the nutritional value from the greens is the gorgeous bright green color of the juice -- we may find this an unusual color for a beverage but if your kids are young enough, it's actually fun for them to have green juice. Collard greens are packed with vitamin C, soluble fiber and contain multiple nutrients with anti-cancer properties. It has also been known to help with bronchitis and blood circulation problems. Collard greens are available year round, but they're at their best from January to April.

I made the recipe on a total lark and Kenya was instantly addicted. I'm not kidding. Watch the video that goes along with the recipe. He slurps up every sip of his -- and mine! -- over and over again. Trust me, he's not a weird kid, it's really that good!

Super Juice  (3-4 Servings)

• 1 1/2 cups collard greens, coarsely chopped
  • juice of a large lemon
  • 2 3 tbsp agave, or to taste
  • 2 cups water

1. 1. Place all the ingredients into a blender and mix on high for 1 minute.
  2. 2. Drink and enjoy.
Super Juice

Comments

1. Heather

October 13, 2013 at 11:52 am

Can you substitute kale for the collards? I have some left over from making green ice pops. :)

October 14, 2013 at 11:53 am

2. catherine

May 21, 2012 at 11:16 am

You can sub honey for agave at a 1:1 ratio!

3. Kathryn

May 19, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Has anyone tried a sub for agave? I haven’t liked a jelly that uses it, and when researching it (a wee bit), seems it is extremely processed and not a ‘whole’ food at all. But I love collards (especially with apple cider vinegar), and this vivid green is too alluring!

4. Brandy

March 30, 2012 at 11:14 am

This is the first weelicious recipe I’ve tried that I don’t like, however, my 18 month old who hardly eats anything LOVES it so I’m really happy. Thank you.

5. Chelsea P

January 19, 2012 at 9:37 am

My daughter loves this juice!! This is a great recipe thanks!!

6. Sabrina

August 9, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I absolutely love this! such a great recipe/idea. My daughter loves it too!!

7. Kim

April 18, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I made this with spinach instead. It was not bitter at all. I poured some into my 15 month daughter’s sippy cup and she loved it! Why collard greens over spinach?

8. shellydwaytobe

November 10, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I made this today and the juice is very bitter. I don’t know what I was thinking even trying to make this!

• singtoangels

October 5, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Shelly, when eating collards I’ve found that you really HAVE to get organic ones if you want to avoid the bitterness. We strip the main stem out and use each side as wraps for sandwiches and juice them, etc. And of course, make collard greens for the holidays. I don’t even have to add sugar to the pot, or a carrot to pull out the bitterness like with conventional greens. I still add the carrots, though. :)

9. Pingback: Back-To-School Lunch Ideas | Weelicious ™ - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food (and now for big kids too!)