A weelicious reader sent me the idea for this recipe and I absolutely love it! It's the perfect dish to make when all you have on hand are a few bags of frozen vegetables or a refrigerator full of cooked ones and want to create something fast and delicious that your kids will love. I used broccoli and corn because I too had several bags in the freezer, but you could also try peas, cauliflower, or any other combinations you love.
You can also toss this dish together in the morning, put it in the fridge and pop it into the oven that night. I love a one pot dinner that's so easy to pull off!
Veggie Casserole (Serves 6)
- 1 Tbsp Butter or Olive Oil, plus more for greasing casserole dish
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 Cup Milk*
- 2 Eggs, whisked
- 2 Cups Broccoli, cooked (can use frozen)
- 1 Cup Corn, cooked (can use frozen)
- 2 Cups Brown Rice, cooked (Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s sell pre-cooked brown rice)
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven the 350 degrees.
2. Heat the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat and cook the onions for 3-5 minutes or until soft.
3. In a bowl, whisk the eggs and milk until combined.
4. Add the onion, broccoli, corn, rice and cheese and stir to combine.
5. Grease in a casserole dish and pour in the mixture (I used a 9 x 9 inch pan).
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes, depending on the size of your casserole dish.