This bright and beautiful Watermelon Slushie will blow your mind at first sip! It’s super refreshing, sweet and a bit tangy — the perfect summertime treat to beat the heat! With just three simple ingredients – watermelon, lime juice, and ice – you can whip up a delightful slushie that’s perfect for both adults and kids.
Why You Should Make Watermelon Slushies
Watermelon is at its peak right now in many parts of the country. We’ve been getting one (or two or three!) of these big, green melons each week at the farmers market and they keep getting better and better. I wanted to make something with the stars of summertime produce and thought about Watermelon Slushies and they might be my new favorite!
- Irresistibly Refreshing: As the temperatures rise, there’s nothing quite like sipping on an icy-cold slushie to cool down. The natural sweetness of watermelon combined with the tangy kick of lime juice creates an invigorating burst of flavors that instantly refreshes your senses.
- Healthy Hydration: Watermelon is composed of over 90% water, making it an excellent way to stay hydrated on scorching days. It’s also loaded with vitamins A and C, which support immune function and skin health.
- Minimalist Magic: With only three ingredients, this slushie is a testament to the beauty of simplicity. You don’t need a laundry list of ingredients to create a delicious treat that satisfies your cravings.
- Kid-Friendly Fun: Got little ones at home? This watermelon slushie is a fantastic way to introduce them to the joys of homemade treats. Let them help with the blending process and watch their faces light up as they enjoy the colorful, flavorful slushie.
Making these slushies couldn’t be easier considering they’re only three ingredients! Here’s what you need:
- Watermelon (cut into chunks)
- Juice of one lime
How to Make a Refreshing Watermelon Slushie
Cut off the rind of a ripe watermelon and slice into chunks. Freeze the watermelon chunks for 4-5 hours and up to overnight. Toss them into your blender with the juice of one lime and some ice and voila! The most refreshing, hydrating slushie you’ll ever have!
Tips for The Perfect Watermelon Slushie
- Play with Variations: Feel free to get creative with your slushie. Add a handful of mint leaves for a refreshing twist, or throw in a splash of coconut water for added electrolytes.
- Balance the Lime: The lemon juice adds zing to the slushie, but adjust the quantity based on your personal taste preferences. Some like it tangier, while others prefer a milder touch.
- Serve Immediately: Slushies are at their best when freshly made. Serve immediately to enjoy the perfect texture and flavor.
Recipes for Ripe Watermelon
I love watermelon during the summer because they’re about 90% water, so they’re a great snack for keeping hydrated during the hot days by the pool or at the park. They’re also a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth because of they’re natural sugars and are high in fiber. They’re just an all around great fruit to add into your summer routine.
So, what do you think? Will you be adding these Watermelon Slushies to your summer snack list? They also make a great after school or after sports practice treat for kids! Let me know what you think in the comments and tag me on social media if you make this!
Images by Ivan Solis
- 1 small seedless watermelon
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 handful ice (more or less depending on texture desired)
- Cut the rind off the watermelon and cut into 1 inch cubes. Place in a large bowl and freeze for at least 4-5 hours and up to overnight.
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender and using a tamper* to push down the watermelon chunks until fully combined and almost creamy.
- Serve in bowls or cups with a spoon.