Agave Lemonade

agave-lemonade.jpg

Last week my girlfriend brought me a HUGE bag of lemons from her tree. The first thing that came to mind on that hot summer day was fresh squeezed lemonade. I was craving it big time and I knew Kenya would be too when he woke from his nap, so I only had a few minutes to make it. Instead of taking the time to make a simple syrup (which is basically a mixture of sugar and water), I decided to use agave nectar.

One of the bonuses of using agave, besides the fact that it's very low on the glycemic index, is that it's twice as sweet as sugar, so you only need about half of the agave to equal the same amount of sugar that most recipes call for. Also, since agave is a liquid, you don't have to take the time to heat it and mix it as you would the simple syrup. As soon as I showed Kenya his glass of fresh lemonade over ice with a colorful straw poking out, his eyes lit up. Now that's summertime!

Agave Lemonade  (Makes 4- 1 Cup Servings)

• 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup agave
  • 3 cups water
  • ice

1. 1. Combine the lemon juice, agave and water in a pitcher.
  2. 2. Stir to combine.
  3. 3. Pour over ice and serve.
Agave Lemonade

Comments

1. Pingback: cocktail time- back patio lemonade | lovelaughterandlipgloss

2. Pingback: » Blog Archive » Low-tech ways to stay cool in Kelowna

3. Stacy

July 13, 2012 at 1:05 pm

How did you get it to be so clear? Is there a transparent Agave? I think Mine is Agave nectar, but it looks like tea. Tastes good though!

4. safari in kenya

December 23, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Hello there, I found your site via Google whilst looking for a similar subject, your web site came up, it seems great. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

5. Pingback: cures-for-yeast-infections

6. jeannette

July 12, 2011 at 10:24 am

Delicious! This really hit the spot! And the agave give the lemonade a pretty yellow color without artificial coloring!

7. joe schmooooo

June 17, 2011 at 6:58 pm

best recipe for lemonade on the net!! no doubt!!!

agave have more..

lemme(on) tell you something. water you think??!?!?!?

schmoooooop der it is!!!!!

joe-leighmon- schmooooooo!

8. crystal

May 15, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Way too sweet! I quadrupled the recipe and it was incredibly sweet. It was still good though. First time using agave and im glad it turned out well.

9. Pingback: HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW | Do | Pint Size Social

10. Ismael Berka

November 17, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Thanks for that. We’re having a big potluck party next week, for Christmas I guess and I’ve been trying to find something special to take.. found some awesome ideas at this potluck recipe site. You know, someone should invent a website where you can write what you’ll be taking, and it would check no one brings the same thing!

11. Maggie

October 18, 2010 at 4:05 pm

We substitute liquid non-bitter stevia for agave and it is delicious!

• Elaine

May 4, 2011 at 6:48 pm

How much STEVIA do you use to replace the agave?

12. Deidra

September 17, 2010 at 8:41 pm

I have made this lemonade for several of my son’s potluck events. It is always a hit!