Rice Cooker Mac & Cheese Program

Macaroni and Cheese in a rice cooker? Not only is it creamy and delicious, but it's so easy and fun to make with kids!

Comments

1. tropikalpunch

October 5, 2012 at 10:11 pm

This is an awesome recipe!!

I rarely stray from recipes. I pretty much followed it to a tee, but I had a teensy bit more pasta than 2cups. More pasta, I figured required a bit more chicken stock. I also used a combination of cheeses that I had on hand – pre-shredded bagged 3 cheese combo, brie (without rind) and some random cheese that was on it’s last legs. I have a one button rice cooker so I set my stove timer. After adding the milk & cheese, I stirred it a couple of times. At one point, it was a bit brown on the bottom – my rice cooker cooks hot in spots. At the end of all the cooking times, I thought it didn’t look cheesy enough so I added a bunch more cheese. I have no idea how much, but boy was it perfect.

When making mac ‘n’ cheese from scratch, you usually make a roux of butter and flour. I wonder if the pre-shredded cheese is key to this because it has starch added to it by taking the place of the roux.

2. Kristine

January 13, 2012 at 10:45 am

could you use a microwaveable Rice Cooker?

3. Pingback: Giveaway: Zojirushi rice cooker ($250 value!) | BabyCenter

4. Trina

February 3, 2011 at 12:30 am

My 2 year old loved watching this, thanks! We enjoyed making it afterwards, too. :) I am very impressed with how well it turned out! We added a cup of peas (thawed, from frozen) with the milk & cheese and a can of tuna near the end for a super easy and yummy tuna casserole. Thanks so much!

5. Bibiana Aguila

December 9, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Can someone post the exact recipe.
    I didn’t get the quantity of the cheese?

6. Jackie

September 21, 2010 at 4:24 pm

can you use whole wheat pasta?

September 21, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Yes you can but the cooking time may vary by a couple of minutes

7. Clare

September 8, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Could this work in a crock pot?

• Jely

February 4, 2014 at 10:02 pm

weee!! ur so lucky to get this review mommy Jess! lami dyud kaau ang rice ani ba lami pud kaau ikaon kay free gud. hehhee

September 9, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Not sure because pasta can only hold for an amount of time and if you over cook it, it will be mushy. But I will look into it.

8. Jen

June 21, 2010 at 11:10 pm

“This is awesome!” was my husband’s reaction after two bites. I made this while literally getting our baby ready for bed. So simple and so delicious! Another Weelicious homerun!

9. loopeeeee

June 2, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Thanks so much for this simple recipe. My 4 year old son and I made this for dinner last night. We added Chives right at the end. My very picky husband loved it and had seconds. Next time we are thinking about adding bacon bits at the end with the Chives.

10. Sara

May 27, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Hey, what kind of rice cooker is that? I had one years ago that was awful…but I’d be willing to give rice cookers another chance.

11. yeni

May 25, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Love this video! I really enjoyed seeing you and Kenya in action, reading a book and playing outside. It just shows how easy your recipes can be. I made this recipe when you first posted it and though it was simply genius. My 2 yr old loved it and I was able to fix it in a pinch. Thanks for another great video, and recipe!