For even the most dedicated mothers who always want to cook for their kids, consistently finding time to do so is extremely hard. One of the most frequent questions I get from moms both here on the weelicious site and on our Facebook page is, "What can I make for my kids on a Sunday that's going to last us for a few days?" Since I know first hand the guilt a mom feels serving my little ones the exact same leftovers several days in a row, I started coming up with 3 in 1 in recipes: dishes you can make once but serve three different ways (and are just as delicious on day 3 as they are on days 2 and 1).
When it comes to Chicken Fajitas, the most common way to eat them is placed in a warm tortilla and topped with a variety of accompaniments. But what do you do if you have leftovers or even if you decide to make a double batch of it like me? In our house we use the original recipe the first night and on the second day turn it into Chicken Fajita RIce Bowls. As delicious as fajitas taste wrapped in a tortilla, when the spiced chicken and vegetables are chopped fine, mixed with cheese and beans and placed on top of warm rice, you may be inspired to serve them this way all the time!
Tune in tomorrow for the THIRD variation on this dish.
Chicken Fajita Rice Bowl (Serves 4)
- 2 cups <a href=\"http://b12.ba4.myftpupload.com/2011/01/17/chicken-fajitas/\">chicken fajitas</a>, (chicken & veggies) chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 cup pinto or <a href=\"http://b12.ba4.myftpupload.com/2010/03/04/black-beans/\">black beans</a>, cooked
- 1 cup Mexican Cheese Blend, shredded
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
Preparation1. Place the first 3 ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
2. Place 1/2 cup of rice in each bowl and top with 1/2 cup of the fajita mixture.