Four Bean Chili Mac & Cheese

f you read weelicious a lot, you know I get really excited about the subject of leftovers. I'm not talking about re-serving your family cold, day-old food (even though I do love doing that). I'm talking about re-inventing the dish you made on Monday and turning it into something completely new and exciting on Tuesday (and possibly even Wednesday too).

Super Bowl is this Sunday and I KNOW you're planning on making yesterday’s Four Bean Chili recipe for all of your guests :). But just in case your culinary creation doesn’t completely disappear during the game, you have to be prepared for any leftovers you may have in your fridge on Monday. That’s where today’s recipe comes in, adding a kid’s tried and true favorite, Mac & Cheese, into the mix. Keep tuning in to weelicious over the next few days and I'll show you even more ways to turn yesterday’s super easy chili recipe into tomorrow’s dinnertime masterpiece.*

*You can find more examples of great 3-in-1 recipes HERE, HERE, and HERE.

Four Bean Chili Mac & Cheese  (Serves 4)

• 1 cup whole milk
  • 2 cups cheddar cheese
  • 2 cups four bean chili
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 cups macaroni pasta, cooked

1. 1. In a large pot over medium heat place the milk, cheese, chili and salt. Stir to combine just until the cheese melts through.
  2. 2. Add the cooked pasta to the chili/cheese mixture and continue to cook for an additional 3 minutes or until the mixture comes together and the pasta has heated through.
  4. *You can find more examples of great 3-in-1 recipes HERE, HERE, and HERE.
Four Bean Chili Mac & Cheese

Comments

1. leilei P

January 4, 2014 at 7:31 pm

My 4 year old son ate 3 bowls of this last night and is now requesting it again tonight for dinner! Thanks for the delicious recipe.

2. Tracy

September 12, 2013 at 3:59 am

This was a big hit here. Thanks!

3. Rebecca I

July 18, 2013 at 8:02 pm

You’re not supposed to add milk to chili. If you do it will be like soup instead. I had to keep adding more chili and cheese to make it gooey kind of.

4. suebrijenkins

October 3, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I am eating this right now! So delicious!

5. Tracy

August 7, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Will this freeze once all mixed together? Thank you for a delicious recipe!

6. dawn

February 23, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I made this but felt it was too cheesy, if that is at all possible ;)

7. Elena

February 21, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I just made this with 2% milk, and it came out very soupy.
    Are you sure about these measurements? 1c of milk seems to be too much.

February 22, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Do you still have it? 2% milk is more watery compared to whole milk. With that said, you may need to cook it down a little more with the cheese then add the chili and cook it a little longer just so the mixture comes together.

• Elena

February 22, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I ended up straining off some of the extra liquid, added more macaroni, more chili, and more cheese, and baked it in the oven at 350 for twenty minutes or so. It came out great. I think baking it added a nice crunch to the macaroni. Thanks!

8. Very Bloggy Beth

February 3, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Chili mac was one of my absolute favorite meals when I was a kid! I had completely forgotten about it, thank you!!!

• Tak

February 4, 2014 at 8:18 am

Thank You for addressing this.I think so many of us have been resaid in public school with society’s influence that if we have a career we are something and if we stay home we are nothing . When I was married (20 years ago) it was expected that the woman get’s her career up and going and you wait to have kids until you can afford them , well by that time you are dependent on 2 incomes and when our first child was born, 6 yrs later, I HAD to keep working. I was trained to work but not to parent and never connected well with my son, then came our daughter 21 mos later and 6 months after that I quit my job, because crying in the back room everyday, missing my children, was just not working for me. I struggled for months with loosing my identity , only to discover years later that my identity is in Christ and in doing what HE has called me to do. We have been through many struggles in our twenty years of marriage, but they always bring about growth. We sent our first 3 children to public school and God convicted us to start homeschooling, even though we had no clue what we were doing. We pulled our children from school at Christmas break, had a new baby in August, keep busy with 4-H and fair activities and church.. After 2 1/2 years of homeschooling we moved to a farm where we now farmschool , we have struggles everyday, but we are all happy and healthy and we are complimented everywhere we go that our children are so well behaved , helpful , kind , etc. I know these are qualities that have gotten better since homeschooling. They are growing in knowledge, faith, and we are becoming a closer family by putting God and our family above the world views. As to unintelligent well, I have a google degree, haha. I have learned more in the last 3 years that I ever did up to that point. There are so many things to learn from the homeschooling process, and having grown up in the city, we have now had to learn EVERYTHING about chickens & goats and their care (including veterinary medications/procedures/animal husbandry/incubation/butchering/canning, organic gardening practices and NOW starting a farm business for egg sales, broiler sales, livestock breeding and sales and goat’s milk soap business and had to learn EVERYTHING about how to make soap. Armed with my computer and a library card I have learned SO much, now if I can learn quickbooks I’ll be set. I used to think I was nothing for staying home (a teenage girl can babysit), but only a mother can love and bring up a child the way the Lord has planned, and now I have been able to learn along with my kids, and NO ONE has ever said I was nothing , only the lies from Satan, and it is up to you to believe them or silence them.

9. Sarah@narutaldiabetic

February 3, 2011 at 9:12 am

LOVE new ways to use leftovers! Especially a big pot of chili. Making this tonight… thanks!

10. Ania

February 2, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Hi,
    is there a good substitute for cheddar cheese in this one and traditional mac & cheese? For some reason it’s not available in my country (yup, you have fans in Poland as well)

11. Tabitha

February 2, 2011 at 3:27 pm

So excited to make this chili for Superbowl… and I’ll probably make chili cheese fries (with homemade potatoe wedges!)

12. Mel

February 2, 2011 at 2:34 pm

@Tao Tao- Kosher salt is a different consistency than regular table salt. It has more flavor and is larger, so I assume its needed to really flavor this dish.

13. Lisa {Smart Food & Fit}

February 2, 2011 at 11:52 am

I love beans however my picky 4 year old doesn’t. I’ve made it with pureed sweet potatoes for him. But I’ll try this recipe for the others in my family that like beans! I like how you think ahead for leftovers, very important in our house! :)

14. Molly

February 2, 2011 at 9:18 am

This is great! I made your four bean chili last night so I am going to make this for dinner tonight! Wonderful meal for those of us snowed/iced in!! Thanks!

15. Tao Tao

February 2, 2011 at 7:53 am

Why is it important that the salt should be kosher?