These simple Spinach Cake Muffins have the perfect amount of sweetness and an appealing bright green color but no intense spinach flavor. Kids (and adults) love them! They’re versatile and make the perfect quick breakfast, after school snack or post dinner treat!
Spinach Cake Muffins: A Parent’s Secret Weapon
I get inspired (and such a thrill) when Weelicious moms send me their ideas for new recipes. Several years ago now, a mom sent me a recipe she had seen on a blog that was for Spinach Cake Muffins. The recipe called for spinach and applesauce combined with a boxed cake mix.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for incorporating vegetables as often as possible, but there was something about the thought of spinach mixed into a sweet muffin that came across as unappealing to me. However, this mom was incredibly passionate about figuring out how to make these muffins a bit more healthy (and without the boxed cake mix). Her enthusiasm won me over, and wanting to see if there would be any value to trying a recipe like this, I started playing around with it.
After a bunch of trial and error, I was kinda shocked at how delicious the muffins turned out. They had just the perfect amount of sweetness and an appealing bright green color, but no intense spinach flavor. I got really into making them and produced a sweet little gem of a muffin that my kids absolutely loved. Now, years later, this is one of my most popular recipes to date!
Gemma joined me in making a batch and got so into it that I caught her eating spinach leaves directly out of the measuring cup! Who says kids don’t like their greens?! I always find when you give little ones a chance to be a part of creating something in the kitchen, it can transform food for them in a way that’s just as much fun to make as it is to eat!
Why I Love This Recipe
- Hidden Nutrients, Happy Tummies: Let’s face it, getting kids to eat their greens can be a challenge. But with Spinach Cake Muffins, you’re introducing a way to incorporate spinach into their diet while treating them to a delicious baked delight. It’s a win-win for moms and little ones alike!
- Balanced Treats: While indulgence has its place, these muffins offer a healthier alternative by using applesauce for some natural sweetness and less sugar than traditional muffins. The goodness of spinach, along with the benefits of fiber and essential nutrients, ensures you’re serving up treats that you can feel good about giving.
- Versatile Snacking: Spinach Cake Muffins aren’t just for breakfast – they’re perfect for school lunches, midday snacks, or an after-dinner treat. Plus, they freeze well, making them an excellent option for busy days.
- Involve the Kids: Turn baking into a family activity by letting the kids help with measuring ingredients, stirring the batter, and filling the muffin cups. It’s a wonderful way to create cherished memories together and may get them to dive into a vegetable they would be otherwise hesitant to try!
Ingredients for Spinach Cake Muffins
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Large egg
- Vanilla extract
- Fresh spinach
- Vegetable or canola oil
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Kosher salt
How to Make Spinach Cake Muffins
- Prep Oven and Muffin Tin: Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease mini or regular muffin tin. You can also use muffins liners.
- Make Spinach Purée: Place the apple sauce, egg, vanilla extract, spinach, sugar and oil in a food processor and puree. Pour the spinach puree in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine dry ingredients: Place the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl and combine.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients: Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet until combined.
- Fill muffin tins: Scoop batter into a greased mini or regular muffin tin, filling each cup 2/3 of the way.
- Bake and serve: Bake for 12 minutes for mini muffins and 18-20 minutes for regular sized muffins.
More “Hidden” Veggie Recipes Kids Love
- Roast Vegetable Pasta Sauce
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Tastes-Like-Ice-Cream Kale Smoothie
- Mug Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Broccoli Cheddar Patties
Spinach Cake Muffins are your secret weapon for serving up a delightful treat that’s packed with goodness. From their hidden veggie power to the joy they bring, these muffins are a true treasure for parents looking to create nourishing and delicious moments for their families.
Thank you to the Weelicious mom who inspired this Spinach Cake Muffin recipe (you know who you are) and to everyone else, please keep the ideas coming! They energize me, spark great ideas and no matter how out there they may be, can produce an awesome and delicious result.
Photos by Ivan Solis
Spinach Cake Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place the first 6 ingredients in a food processor and puree.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl and combine.
- Pour the spinach puree in a large mixing bowl.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet until combined.
- Scoop batter into a greased mini or regular muffin tin, filling each cup 2/3 of the way.
- Bake for 12 minutes for mini muffins and 18-20 minutes for regular sized muffins.