Who knew that a single loaf could bring together the richness of chocolate and the wholesome goodness of zucchini? Chocolate Zucchini Bread is moist and dare I say healthy! Get ready to savor a slice of this moist and flavorful creation that’s a perfect blend of indulgence and nutrition.
My mother used to make the most insanely delicious zucchini bread. I don’t remember eating a lot of zucchini in side dishes as a kid (which is sad because I love it so much), but I sure remember her bread. It’s was sweet and moist with thin ribbons of zucchini laced throughout. Was that just her way of getting zucchini into our diet or was she simply baking something that she enjoyed making and we loved eating? I’d say the latter since, no one was holding me down telling me I had to eat it. In fact, I would usually beg for seconds.
I wanted to make a zucchini bread recipe for weelicious, but since I already made Zucchini Muffins last year I decided to mix things up and feature one of Kenya, Chloe and Gemma’s favorite ingredients — CHOCOLATE — in a co-starring role. The chocolatey flavor comes from just 1/3 a cup of cocoa powder and while you may assume this bread is only for dessert, it’s actually also great as a mid-day snack and even for breakfast. Yes, I said it. Chocolate for breakfast. That’s not to say you should be handing out Snickers bars before the school bus comes, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with offering this bread to your kids to start their day.
And while you may have seen the title for this recipe and thought to yourself, “awesome, I can get my kids to eat their veggies by telling them I’m serving Chocolate Bread,” I beg you not to. Don’t sneak. Food is all about making discoveries and you just may find yourself with a new zucchini fan after your little one tries this bread.
Want to double down on perfection? You can also add a big handful of chocolate chips or walnuts for a little added crunch. If you make it don’t forget to tag me on social media so I can see!
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 cups zucchini, grated
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a bowl, combine the first 6 dry ingredients.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the vanilla, oil, eggs, banana and honey until combined.
- Slowly combine the dry ingredients into the wet then stir in the grated zucchini.
- Pour the batter into two greased 8 x 4 inch or 9 x 5 in loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then remove bread from the pan and cool completely.
- * Loaves can be wrapped tightly in foil, placed in Ziploc bags labeled with the date and frozen for up to 3 months.