Easy Cheesy Spinach Hummus]

Cheesy Green Hummus

Isn't it cool to play with the color of your favorite foods and turn them into something new for your kids? I tend to do this kind of thing a lot because I find that in addition to being fun for my little ones, it also gets them excited about eating what I make. It's always a bit of a science experiment for me to see how things will turn out, and while there can be a lot of trial and error that is heavy on the error, sometimes the results are spectacular. That happens to be the case with this Cheesy Green Hummus which is, dare I say, better than my original recipe.

With it's creamy texture and delicious full flavor it's just as tasty spread on sandwiches as it is to dunk raw veggies or pita chips in. I made a big batch of it last week and set it out before dinnertime with some chilled carrots, radishes and sugar snaps for dipping. I wasn't sure which kid would be the first one to chime in with, "yuck, its green," but for whatever reason Kenya just sat down, dipped his finger in the bowl, licked some hummus off, and declared it to be delish. One of the great things about this recipe is that you can keep it in the fridge for up to a week, so on those days you don't have anything substantial to make at mealtime you can simply fall back on this protein packed hummus to fill everyone up. Not to mention, how perfect is this for St. Patty's!

Cheesy Green Hummus  (makes 1 1/2 cups )

• 1 cup packed fresh spinach
  • 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tablespoons tahini paste
  • 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

1. 1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
Cheesy Green Hummus

Comments

1. Pingback: 5 Snack Recipes That Are Better Homemade - Savvy Sassy Moms

2. puzzled & bewildered

April 19, 2014 at 9:09 am

I thought I’ve tasted them all.
    I thought the plain original hummus was my kind of hummus.
    Boy, was I wrong.
    I’m sitting here with freshly made Cheesy Green Hummus and I so intrigued by the deep flavour the parmesan give the hummus.
    Parmesan cheese is now a official ingredient in hummus for me.

3. GC

March 17, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Thanks for the awesome recipes… But as an Irish person it irritates me no end when people call it “St. Patty’s” day :( the diminutive should be ‘paddy’

4. Pingback: 8 Festive Green Recipes to Make This Weekend! | Everyfoodrecipes, cooking tips, and how-to food videos—all rated and reviewed by millions of home cooks,make the perfect birthday cake, or plan your next holiday dinner.

5. Pingback: » Kale Hummus Cucumber Bites

6. Dolly

February 24, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Excellent! Turned out great. Thanx Catherine!

7. Leyla

January 27, 2014 at 10:22 am

Excellent recipe! I made it today and we fell in love with it.

8. Pingback: Recipes and Food Posts, November 1 | Paloma Cruz

9. Hannah

October 19, 2013 at 10:55 am

Hello,
    is there a very cheap way of making everything that you make? A lot of it seems expensive.
    Thanks

• Angela

December 30, 2013 at 10:38 am

Hannah- My family is on a very tight budget, and I make weelicious recipes all the time! So many recipes use fresh ingredients and basics I already have. It’s actually much cheaper than buying prepackaged food.

10. Amber

September 13, 2013 at 10:13 am

Great recipe! I decided to make this when my three-year-old requested “something really healthy for you”. I didn’t have tahini (and wanted to let my baby try it, haven’t introduced seeds or nuts yet) and it was great without it. But I am sure that the tahini makes it even more amazing!

• Amber

September 13, 2013 at 10:21 am

I just had to add that my son just asked for a spoon to finish his hummus when the carrots were gone and then asked for more and a piece of bread to go with it! So the snack is turning into lunch…love Weelicious!

11. Sharon Sutherland

August 28, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Love to try more of your delicious recipes.

12. Pingback: Back-to-School Lunch Ideas and Dairy-Free Chocolate Pudding

13. Kristine

August 13, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Wow! I’m so happy to know that making hummus at home is so delicious and easy. Thank you for the recipe.

14. Ruth

July 29, 2013 at 9:40 am

Finally got around to making this. WOW! Definitely my favorite hummus recipe so far. Thank you!

15. Tayra

July 11, 2013 at 4:26 pm

OMG…THIS HUMMUS WAS THE BOMB!! Loved it…will definitely make again!

16. Pingback: Green Hummus - Where Home Starts

17. Julie P.

April 3, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Huge fan of your hummus recipes. My son eats it like it is going out of style and this just gave us a huge veggie boost since he loves spinach but is a picky veggie eater over all!! Many thanks.

18. berlzipan

March 26, 2013 at 7:22 pm

The Cheesy Green Hummus was great. I didn’t have the tahini paste and it was still great.

19. aida mollenkamp

March 16, 2013 at 11:10 am

Such a great idea for St Pat’s! I’m totally trying this out on my niece and nephews!

20. Lisa

March 15, 2013 at 6:30 am

Great recipe, Thanks! I didn’t have any parm so I threw in some feta instead – it was delish! I spread some on a whole wheat wrap and topped it with grilled onions, red peppers and courgettes. Me and my little guy gobbled it up!

21. meat store

March 12, 2013 at 1:29 am

thanks for suggesting great green options to relish on :) looks so fresh cant wait to try it ..thanks for sharing the recipe

Meat Store

22. Pingback: 70 Dye-Free, Naturally Green Recipes for Saint Patrick's Day | Kitchen Treaty

23. Tammy

March 9, 2013 at 11:51 am

Oh my! This hummus is delicious! My boys devoured it, and I could barely wait for my husband to get home to try it. Of course, it was a big hit with him too. Yeah!

24. Diana @ Eating Made Easy

March 8, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Yum! I wonder if avocado would taste good and give it some green?

25. Gaby

March 8, 2013 at 5:19 pm

love this festive hummus!!

26. Amanda

March 8, 2013 at 10:10 am

Sounds delicious! How long will this stay fresh in the fridge?

March 8, 2013 at 11:34 am

About 5 days!

27. Shira

March 7, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Just made this with fresh kale and it tastes fantastic.

28. Jessie

March 7, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Thank you so much for making great green options for St. Patrick’s Day! It’s refreshing to find recipes without horrible food dyes.

29. Ashlee

March 7, 2013 at 12:19 pm

do you have to use tahini paste? my daughter is allergic to sesame seeds.

• Matheus

February 4, 2014 at 5:50 am

I love these. The first time i put too much oil and it did seem a little soggy. I found putntig a little oil, salt, and pepper in the bottom of a large bowl then add the dry Kale and a lid. Shake the container very well and it will coat the Kale just fine. It doesn’t take much.

March 7, 2013 at 1:00 pm

You can leave it out! It adds lots of flavors, but it’ll still be yummy without!

30. Enne

March 7, 2013 at 11:46 am

Catherine, which Tahini paste do you use and where can I find it?

March 7, 2013 at 1:01 pm

You can find tahini paste in the peanut butter or kosher aisle of your local grocery! The brand I find most often is Yehuda and it has a green lid!

31. Robin Henrich

March 7, 2013 at 11:42 am

Do you think this would work with Kale as well (without the stems)?

32. Samantha F in St. Paul

March 7, 2013 at 11:21 am

What size was the can of Garbanzo Beans?

March 7, 2013 at 1:06 pm