Now that the holidays are behind us, I’ve been wanting to dive in and make some simple recipes that feel hearty and appeal to everyone in our family. This week I’m making a bunch of dishes perfect for cold weather like Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls, Baked Beans in the Crock Pot and this Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese in hopes of hunkering in for our much needed staycation.
The sauce is incredibly smooth and creamy with a touch of sweetness that clings to every bite of pasta. This isn’t mac and cheese with chunks of butternut squash cooked into it, though. I use Campbell’s Organic Creamy Butternut Squash Soup, so it’s also much lighter than most mac and cheese recipes without sacrificing anything while making it a real bonus as you move into the New Year. Sure you could get your veggies eating Green Mac and Cheese, but the butternut squash soup adds tons of bright flavor, nutrition and replaces much of the milk and cream in your everyday mac and cheese.
Not only did my kids absolutely devour it, but it made enough for us to enjoy as leftovers for the following days. In the time it takes to cook the pasta you can mix and prepare the other ingredients making this a super simple recipe so you can relax and enjoy more time with your kids. Serve this Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese with a Winter Citrus Salad for a kid friendly get together that will have friends asking for the tricks to the dish their kids are eating up. Watch the video above to see just how easy it can be, and visit Campbell's Kitchen for more recipe inspiration.
Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese (serves 8-10)
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 17-ounce box Campbell’s Organic Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Cook pasta in salted water for about 3 minutes less than package directions call for, until al dente.
3. While the pasta is cooking, in a large pot melt the butter and then add the flour, whisking continuously over low-medium heat for 2-3 minutes to make a roux. Slowly whisk in the milk and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally for 3-4 minutes, or until the sauce is gently bubbling and starting to thicken.
5. Add the cheese, Campbell's Organic Creamy Butternut Squash Soup, and salt. Whisk until cheese is melted.
6. Stir in the pasta, transfer to a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish and bake for 20 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and the pasta is set. You can also serve this straight off the stove top without baking.