When I was little and my Mother couldn't deal with making us dinner, we would head to McDonald's. I was never a burger girl. No, I loved chicken nuggets with all the sticky, sugary sauces. When I think about all the artificial fillers that go into them and how many boxes I ate over the years, it makes me want to gag. I still love chicken nuggets, and didn't want to deprive Kenya of the pleasure of them, but I wanted to make a healthier version that everyone in our family would love. I had a ton of fun testing this to find the perfect easy WeeNuggets recipe. I wanted them to have tons of flavor without being fried or packed with salt.
By buying organic, free range chicken (Rosie's is my favorite), you're making a gourmet nugget for the family. My husband doesn't eat chicken, but he's also my most honest tester. When I tell you he scarfed these up at dinner last night, I could only smile to myself in delight. Between him and Kenya, they disappeared immediately.
WeeNuggets (make 20 nuggets)
- 3/4 Cup Whole Wheat Panko*
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp italian herbs
- 1 Chicken Breast, boneless and skinless, cut into chunks
- 1 egg
- Olive or Canola Oil Spray
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place the panko, garlic powder and herbs in a food processor and blend until fine.
3. Place the crumbs in a bowl.
4. Beat the egg in a separate bowl.
5. Dip the chicken chunks in the eggs and then in the breadcrumbs. Keep one hand clean for rolling in the breadcrumbs. Make sure the chicken chunks are completely covered.
6. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
7. Spray each piece with oil.
8. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
9. Cool and serve.
*I got the whole wheat panko and Spectrum Canola and Olive Oil spray at Wholefoods. Most health food stores carry these ingredients. You could substitute breadcrumbs and oil in a spray canister if needed.
*To Freeze: For best results, bread nuggets, place on a cookie sheet and freeze for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, place par-frozen nuggets in a ziploc bag and freeze up to 4 months. When ready, continue to follow steps 6-9 adding at least 5 minutes cooking time.