Falafel with Yogurt Tahini Sauce - Weelicious

Falafel with Yogurt Tahini Sauce

falafel-with-tahini-yogurt-sauce.jpg

In my ongoing quest to find foods that are both healthy and easy for toddlers
to hold themselves, I decided to make falafels for Kenya. The only
trick to this dish is to make them suitable for his little taste-buds without having to fry them in gallons of oil like most falafel recipes call for.

Falafels are made with a base of garbanzo beans, a legume also known as
chickpeas. Have you ever looked closely at a chickpea? Some say they
look like a chick's beak, hence the name. Beak or no beak, they're a powerhouse of
fiber. Fiber is an important part of a little one's diet because it tends to fill them up longer then other foods, giving them energy to run around and
play. Garbanzo beans are an excellent vegetarian source of protein and are
high in calcium, magnesium and folate.

I also added a little yogurt dipping sauce alongside this recipe which boosts the nutritional content of the meal even more and adds a little fun for the kids. Now, if I can only
get my husband out of Kenya's food, which is slowly becoming “their” food. My husband figures that if what Kenya's eating is super healthy, he wants to eat it too. Like father, like son. Or should I say, like son, like father?!

Yogurt Tahini Sauce (Makes a little over 1/2 Cup)

1/2 Cup Yogurt
1 Tbsp Lemon
1 Tbsp Tahini (if your little one has a nut allergy, you could leave this out)

1. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.

*Place in appropriate container or ziploc bag, label and freeze up to 4 months. When ready, defrost in fridge for 24 hours.

We used these to make this recipe:

Falafel with Yogurt Tahini Sauce  (Make 14 Mini Falafel)

In my ongoing quest to find foods that are both healthy and easy for toddlers
to hold themselves, I decided to make falafels for Kenya. The only

• 1 15 oz can cooked chick peas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1/4 cup onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 1/4 cup parsley
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • olive, vegetable or canola oil for pan searing

1. 1. Place the first 8 ingredients in a food processor and puree. Make sure the mixture is throughly combined. Scrape down the sides of the mixture as needed.
  2. 2. With moist hands (so the mixture doesn’t stick to your hands) form patties using about 1 tablespoon of the mixture and place on a plate while you form the remaining patties.
  3. 3. In a medium saute pan, heat around 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. You want the pan to have a thin coating of oil.
  4. 4. Add half of the patties to the pan and saute for 4 minutes on each side or until golden (you may have to add a little more oil if your pan get too dry).
  5. 5. Remove the patties from the pan and place on a paper towel lined plate (to absorb any extra oil).
  6. 6. Cook the remaining patties.
  7. 7. Cool and serve with yogurt sauce.
  8. *After step 2, place patties on sheet tray and freeze for 30 minutes or until frozen then transfer to a ziploc bag,label and freeze up to 4 months. When ready, defrost in fridge for 24 hours and follow steps, 3-7.
Falafel with Yogurt Tahini Sauce

Comments

1. Fancy

January 15, 2014 at 8:36 am

Hi Catherine , I tried this for dinner tonight but failed because when I put everything in to the processor but can’t process due to the dry ingredients, so I put a little bit water into the processor. But it turns out too soft for me to fry in the pan. Shouldn’t I put any water right?

2. Yvonne

January 10, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Made this last night. The whole family enjoyed it. I did have to add about 2 tbsp or so of the yogurt tahini dip to the mixture to help it stay together before cooking in the pan. Super quick and easy and I will def make again! Thanks Catherine!

3. Pingback: dad likes food | Menu for the Week of Dec. 15

4. fbtena

September 17, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Catherine, I made these last night for dinner and used the recipe from your new Weelicious Lunch recipes book. These work well for dinner if you serve them with warm pitas, tzatziki sauce cucumbers and hummus. This is a keeper for sure. Congratulations on the new book. I found myself in a lunch rut most days and I found that your new book has given me inspiration most importantly. I love the sushi concept for pb&j.

5. Angela

January 13, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Delicious! I left out fresh parsley because I don’t care for it (I know I am weird). It made 10 palmed sized patties. This was wonderful and super easy!, thank you!

6. smiley

June 28, 2012 at 5:03 am

If you don’t have fresh parsley and/or cilantro how much dried would you put in the mixture?

June 28, 2012 at 11:52 am

I would use 1 tablespoon each of the dried herbs!

7. Betty

March 7, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Have you ever tried putting this mixture into a casserole dish & baking it & then cutting it into squares? Wondering how that would come out since I hate pan frying things.

March 7, 2012 at 2:50 pm

That is an interesting approach! I have not tried that, but I think it just might work. If you try will you let me know your results?

8. Stefani

January 16, 2012 at 9:49 pm

To make these gluten free I used Bob’s Red Mill Almond Flour instead of the bread crumbs and I just let the mixture sit for about 15 minutes and then formed into patties and cooked them in my nonstick ceramic pan (no oil) and they were wonderful!

9. Pingback: Kumarakam best resorts

10. Jo

November 13, 2011 at 5:48 am

Just found this recipe, which is great , so quick and cheap to make – though my two and a half year old was a bit bit suspicious of them at first. I actually cook them without oil by plonking them in the oven in a non-stick muffin tin. till turned out scrumptious.

11. Bella

August 5, 2011 at 11:55 am

These taste great, my 11 month old loves them! Falafals in general can be a bit dry so I added 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt to the mixture. They turn out perfect every time! Thanks!

12. Pingback: Stuck in a Rut? And Menu Plan Monday–May 23 | Dunaway Dietetics

13. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday–May 16 | Dunaway Dietetics

14. Maria

May 12, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Great recipe and so easy. FYI – I used this same recipe with black beans instead of chick peas, adding a little extra bread crumbs, instead of using your black bean cakes recipe, because my baby can’t yet have cheese/corn/egg and I wanted to make something with black bean. They came out great! And, using these falafel patties or the black bean patties as the “bread” of a hummus and tomato sandwich was so yummy. I actually used one of each (falafel patty->tomato->hummus->black bean patty) … so yummy! Love your recipes!

15. Catherine

March 20, 2011 at 11:13 am

Hi Catherine- I tried this recipe and followed the directions, but my patties came out (while delicious and golden) too soft and broke as soon as you picked them up. like it needed a binder?
    any suggestions?

March 21, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Your chickpeas may have been a little dry or you just needed to puree them a little longer in the food processor. I’m afraid that if you had an egg white, it will get too liquid and will not hold together. Also if you mold them too thin , they will break. Did you use 1 tbsp at a time to make them?

16. Amanda

October 18, 2010 at 6:21 pm

I attempted to make these for my 15 month old son. Mine came out too crumbly and ended up just making a mess when my son tried to pick them up. The only variation from your recipe was that I soaked and cooked dried chick peas. They made nice little patties but as soon as I cooked them they bagan to fall apart. What did I do wrong? Do you have any suggestions? They were delicious for me but to dry and crumbly for my son. I want to try again though! Thanks for all of your wonderful recipes!!

October 19, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I used canned chick peas, that could have been where the problem took place because you used dried chick peas. Try them out with the canned and let me know how they turn out! :)

• Amanda

November 22, 2010 at 11:27 am

Hi Catherine! I just wanted to let you know that I just made the falafel again using canned chick peas this time. They turned out great and yummy! Im sure my son will gobble them up as soon as he wakes from napping!
        Thanks!

17. Anna

September 3, 2010 at 9:50 pm

I did not have the onions or bell pepper or parsley. However I had lots of red quinoa cooked with green onions and cranberries left from the night before. I followed your recipe and added the left over quinoa. It turned out absolutely heavenly. Thank you for this great idea.

Anna

18. Ivy

July 2, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Catherine!! These were so yummy!! Thank you so much! Miss V ate them ALL up…

19. Pingback: Millet Cakes | Weelicious ™ - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Baby Food Babyfood Recipes and now Toddler Food too!