Almond Milk

almond-milk.jpg

Oh. My. Lusciousness! I just tasted my first batch of homemade almond milk minutes ago and it is so delicious I ran to the computer, bumped today’s planned “recipe of the day”, and started writing this. This almond milk is so creamy, frothy and easy to make, you’ll wonder why you ever bothered to buy it in the store. Not only is the milk itself incredible and perfect to add to your own cereal or coffee, but my best little taster just made a case for drinking it all on its own! You should have seen Kenya chowing down on the ground almonds and milky solids which are strained out of the finished milk. He totally made a meal out of it (as did I, stealing bite after bite).
Almonds are rich in the antioxidant vitamin E, which boosts your little one’s immune system. They're also a good source of calcium which plays a part in healthy bones, teeth and immune function. Don't feel limited to only almonds, though. You could make this exact recipe with cashews, brazil nuts, walnuts and more. Just pour a touch of this over fresh berries and it's as good as the taste of fresh cream. Obviously, if your little one has a nut allergy, this recipe isn’t for them.
Again, I do realize that you can buy a box of almond milk at the store to keep handy, but one taste of this recipe and you will understand why it's worth the MINUTES it takes to make your own.

Almond Milk  (Makes 3 1/2 Cups - 7 servings)

• 1 cup almonds
  • 2 tablespoons agave
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 4 cups water

1. 1. Place all the ingredients in a blender and puree on high for one minute or until almond are in tiny pieces.
  2. 2. Place a strainer in a large bowl and cover the top of the strainer with cheesecloth (this step is important because the almonds will be in such small pieces that the cheesecloth and strainer need to stop them from going into the milk).
  3. 3. Pour the almond milk through the cheesecloth. You may need to do this in stages so the milk can slowly strain through the cheesecloth. It may help taking a spoon to scrape the bottom of the cheesecloth so the milk can pass.
  4. 4. Pour the milk and the almond puree into separate containers and refrigerate.
Almond Milk

Comments

1. Rav

March 20, 2014 at 2:36 pm

When you soak the almonds overnight is it best to soak them in cold water? Hot? Do you then peel them or blend with the skin? Thanks!!

2. Amy

June 7, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Thanks for the info! I recently (a few months ago) stopped drinking cow’s milk, although I still use some in cooking, and occasionally eat greek yogurt or cheese. Almond milk is one of my favourite substitutes, especially in my fruit smoothies :) I’m very much a do-it-yourself kind of girl, so being able to make another thing myself is great!

3. catherine

June 6, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Almonds are very high in Calcium. 1 cup of whole almonds contains 38% of your daily calcium. I know that once you strain the almonds you are loosing a bit of the nutritional value, but blend them into as small pieces as possible to get the most out of them!

4. Amy

June 6, 2012 at 11:49 am

Would this have the same nutritional content of the store-bought almond milk in terms of calcium content and such?

5. Pingback: baby

6. Anna W

June 20, 2011 at 10:47 am

Can you do this in a food processor? I hate cleaning up the parts of my blender that have to be hand-washed.

June 20, 2011 at 2:10 pm

The blender is perfect for this but you can also try it in a food processor, but I don’t think it would get as perfect as the blender.

7. Theresa

April 25, 2011 at 6:04 pm

blumie,
    YES the mash can be frozen. I tried it. It won’t make more almond milk, but it sure adds a nice touch to muffins!
    HTH, Theresa

8. Ilona

April 20, 2011 at 11:32 am

Thanks for the recipe.

As a followup to Julia N’s comment, soaking almonds will also kickstart a catalytic process within the nut that results in more nutrients being released. I’ve always given soaked Almonds to my kid … but now thanks for your milk recipe, she has a new way of eating almonds :)

9. blumie

March 27, 2011 at 6:59 pm

can the almond puree be frozen?
    just made it and my baby LOVED it!!
    thanks for the awesome ideas!

10. Esther

October 18, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I just said to my 4 yr old, “yum, let’s make almond milk” He looked at the pic and replied, “yum, let’s make cheerios!” (we can’t get cheerios here…but they are a favorite when we go to visit my family in the US)

11. Julia N

January 10, 2010 at 10:15 am

I found that if I soak the almonds overnight, it breaks down the almond even more and doesn’t make my blender work so hard (I actually use my immersion blender)

May 6, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Great tip!

12. Nio's Mom

October 13, 2008 at 1:06 pm

This sounds great . . .kind of a silly question, but do the almonds need to be blanched first, or do we just use raw almonds?

• Milica

February 2, 2014 at 9:05 pm

- You seem to lead such a fabulous and fun life. Personally, I’m not a fan of games or presnet opening. I find it all embarrassing, boring and forced . I’d rather just hang out with friends, eat, and drink (well when not pregnant). I guess it’s the same with some of the wedding rituals too. Which is why we had a very small wedding in Italy.

• priya

May 30, 2013 at 9:17 am

yes we need to soak it and blanched as it or most nuts contains high amount of phytic acid which is bad in high amount.