Sweet Potato Pudding

sweet-potato-pudding.jpg

When Kenya was a baby, I always wanted to make him dessert. It somehow felt unfair to me that as my husband and I devoured sweet treats, he couldn't be a part of our fun. I devised this sweet potato pudding in an effort to remedy that. The creamy and light texture of this dish is so smooth, its perfect for babies with or without teeth.
I love cooking with sweet potatoes because they're in season right now, packed with antioxidant vitamin and phytonutrients, and almost every baby I've ever known loves them. When I first took a bite, I couldn't believe how much it tasted just like the filling of sweet potato pie. You may want to double this recipe because it goes perfect for a baby's dinner or dessert!

Sweet Potato Pudding  (Makes 3 Baby Servings or 2 Toddler Serving)

• Prep Time: 1 hrs,

• 1 sweet potato
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup rice or almond milk
  • hot water

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. 2. Bake sweet potato for 1 hour or until fork tender.
  3. 3. When potato is cool, remove the flesh and cool (I like to eat the high fiber potato skin as a snack).
  4. 4. Whisk the egg with the cinnamon, rice milk and cooled potato until smooth.
  5. 5. Pour into a ramekin (or other small baking dish).
  6. 6. Place the ramekin in a larger baking pan.
  7. 7. Place the ramekin and baking pan in the oven and pour hot water into the baking pan until it reaches halfway up the ramekin (otherwise known as a water bath).
  8. 8. Bake for 30 minutes.
  9. 9. Cool and serve.
Sweet Potato Pudding

Comments

1. Amanda Herman

March 2, 2014 at 10:08 am

Making this for my 9 month old today. Had a butternut squash to use up so substituted for the sweet potato. Smells amazing and looks so pretty for my wee one! Thank you!

2. Ashley

September 27, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Can this be made in larger batches and frozen for later use?

September 30, 2013 at 10:31 am

I think it would freeze okay. :)

3. Sweetbellajade

August 21, 2013 at 2:16 pm

can i use whole milk instead of almond or rice milk

August 23, 2013 at 11:03 am

• Marie

January 26, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Can I use whole milk yogurt instead of milk?

4. Ashley

October 25, 2012 at 12:12 pm

hello..this looks AMAZING! sweet potatoes are my absolute favorite! and i have baked them for my son but i think he doesnt like how thick and dry they can be, so this would be perfect! BUT, before I can make it, i HAVE to ask about the confusing last ingredient..it reads to me like “1/4th cup of rice or almond milk hot water” um what??? So I can either use rice or almond milk? Those are not even similar, one is a liquid and other is not…or do you mean rice MILK or almond milk? And then the hot water part…?? Is that a separate ingredient or…?? VERY confusing! Surely it doesnt mean “almond milk hot water” as one run-on because there is no such thing. So am I to put rice, rice milk, almond milk, hot water, almond milk WITH hot water…?!? PLEASE clarify, that is very unclear! thank you :)

October 25, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Yes, rice MILK or almond MILK! Hmm the hot water shows up as a separate line item (as intended) on my computer, so maybe that’s a formatting issue with whatever browser you’re using. STEP SEVEN clarifies what to do with the hot water! You pour it into the baking dish so that the ramekins are sitting in a hot water bath, a common cooking method for baked custards. :)

• Ashley

October 27, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Thank you! Yeah, it probably IS a fotmatting thing, since I am the only one who seems to have read it that way! lol..but I am glad I checked back for a response because I am about to make it tonight, I am SO excited! This seems so delicious, thank you! :D

5. kimh76

October 18, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I just made this for my kids and it is SO delicious! I used to make a Thanksgiving recipe called Yummy Yam Casserole that calls for lots of butter and sugar and this tastes just as good, if not better – and is so easy! This will be my new holiday recipe. Thank you!

6. seema

September 27, 2012 at 6:24 am

Hi, is it possible to substitute whole milk yoghurt for the rice/almond milk? thanks

7. Pingback: vegetarian stuffed mushrooms

8. chrissyjoy

June 11, 2011 at 7:31 pm

my 9 month old n I shared this one n she nearly knocked me over for this!!! :)

9. Jo

November 5, 2010 at 7:59 am

I was making this for dessert for my daughter – I used soy silk milk and mixed it with potato and cinnamon. And honestly, it was so sweet and the texture not too different from pie filling. I skipped the egg and oven entirely. I kept taking bites of it, it was that good.

10. Pingback: baby food (potentially very boring to all but me…) » Fitch Family Blog

11. Laurel

March 12, 2010 at 5:59 pm

My daugher is allergic to eggs but she loves sweet potatoes. What would you recommend replacing the egg yolk with?

May 4, 2010 at 2:25 pm

The yolk acts as the thickener, in vegan cooking you can take 1 Tbsp of Ground Flax Seed mixed with 3 Tbsp of water, it acts just like the egg yolk. I have not tried it but you can give it a whirl!

12. Pingback: Recipe Ideas For Baby, Toddler AND Big Kids | Weelicious ™ - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food and recipes for the entire family!

13. Annie Tunheim

January 6, 2009 at 1:11 pm

This was so delicious! Kenyon couldn’t get enough of it; I will definitely be making it again.

14. azleena

November 12, 2008 at 11:57 pm

What temperature should the pudding be baked at? I suppose ebm or whole milk could be substituted for almond or rice milk?

• 1gbmommy

August 17, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I’m wondering this too…what temp once u have it all together?

August 17, 2012 at 2:59 pm