Cold Soba Noodles

I really think this goes down as one of my better and favorite recipes. Every time I make it for people, young or old, I get the greatest response. The best part is, it's so easy to prepare and you probably already have a lot of the ingredients in your fridge already.
Soba noodles are made from buckwheat, a grain high in vitamin A, calcium and selenium. They're also gluten free which makes them a great choice for kids with allergies or on certain diets. Unlike pasta noodles, these cook up in 2-3 minutes, so don't walk away from the stove for too long.
This dish is a great recipe to take to a potluck meal or any time you're feeding a crowd on a dime. I guarantee they'll love it.

Cold Soba Noodles  (Serves 4-6)

• 1 9.5 ounce package soba noodles
  • 1 cup shelled edamame
  • 1 small red bell pepper, julienne
  • 1 cup cubed firm tofu
  • 1/4 cup almond or peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons vegannaise or mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons braggs or soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons honey or agave
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1/4 cup vegetable or grape seed oil

1. 1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add soba noodles. Reduce heat to a simmer.
  2. 2. Cook noodles for 2-3 minutes.
  3. 3. Drain and run under cold water until cool to touch.
  4. 4. Add the noodles to a large bowl with the edamame, bell pepper and tofu.
  5. 5. Place the almond butter and remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree sauce.
  6. 6. Pour sauce over the noodles and toss to combine.
Cold Soba Noodles

Comments

1. Tara

August 13, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Sorry to be a party crasher but aoba noodles are rarely gluten free. Only one brand I am aware of makes an entirely wheat free version…and they are really hard to find. Most manufacturers add in wheat flour to tone down the earthiness of the buckwheat.

2. Pingback: The Plan | Refuel/Refresh

3. Caroline S.

February 6, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Hi,

My soba noodles are purple when cooked. How are yours light? Are there different kinds?

4. NicolaH

October 30, 2013 at 7:20 am

I’m tempted to try this but wow, that’s a lot of oil. Could the oil be reduced without compromising the recipe completely?

5. Tara

July 9, 2013 at 11:32 pm

This is a fantastic dish! The whole family loved it for dinner, and I think it would be nice to take as a pasta salad to BBQs. Thank you.

6. M.T.

June 13, 2013 at 12:07 pm

This is amazingly simple and delicious! I didn’t have the exact same vegetables on hand, so used diced zucchini. This recipe is pretty forgiving and versatile in that I think any veggie would be tasty in this! I placed on a plate and cut up the soba noodles for my 1.5 year old toddler and she gobbled it up! I think it’s the sauce. It is really that good!
    (By the way, I know it’s safe to eat tofu uncooked, but I cooked it in a saute pan with the diced zucchini. Yum!)

7. Pingback: Slow Cooker Asian Lettuce Wraps |

8. Mindy

April 18, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Hi there!
    Rice wine vinegar? Is that Mirin? Or is it Rice Vinegar? Or something else?
    Thank you! Love your cookbook and recipes!

April 18, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Rice Vinegar!

9. Eyu Jia Yi

March 11, 2013 at 9:52 am

Can i make it the night before and leave it in the refrigerator and pack it for lunch the next day?

March 11, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Yes! These noodles will last a few days in the fridge! I love making it for dinner and then serving it for lunch the next day!

10. kellie

October 12, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Can the rice wine vinegar be replaced with white whine vinegar? Also can I leave out the sesame oil or replace it with coconut oil? wanted to make this but dont have everything!

October 12, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Those substitutions are fine! Just remember they will change the flavor of the finished dish!

11. Courtney

October 2, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Thanks! A hit with our family of 5!

12. Magda

September 28, 2012 at 11:52 am

Wow, the recipe looked great, but it tastes even better. Perfect for school lunch. I skipped sesame oil though since my son does not like that taste. Thank you! Love lunch ideas that do not have to be warmed up

13. Kari

September 24, 2012 at 4:22 pm

This recipe rocks! So simple and delicious. I made a minor modification and marinated my tofu (bragg’s, sesame oil, garlic) then grilled it. I also added some of the grilled tofu into the food processor with the peanut butter etc. Thank you Weelicious!

14. Margaret

September 21, 2012 at 11:07 am

My daughter’s school is nut free. I’d love to send this for her. Do you think sunflower butter would work?

September 21, 2012 at 11:50 am

Yes I do!

15. Robin

September 19, 2012 at 9:48 pm

LOVE your site . . . My son is allergic to soy . . . Do you have suggestions for substitutions for the tofu and edamame? Thanks!!!

September 20, 2012 at 10:23 am

The tofu and edamame are toppings to add protein and nutrients! You could substitute almost any kind of veggie. Use multiple colors of bell peppers, seaweed, sesame seeds, scallions. I bet cooked and cooled shrimp would be a great addition!

16. Kelly G

September 19, 2012 at 9:06 pm

We just made it and it is so delicious!! I added some blanched julienne carrots. I ordered your cookbook and look forward to more yummy recipes!

17. zaeaton

September 19, 2012 at 9:40 am

Can I replace the mayo/vegonaisse with oil? If so should I use peanut? olive? Can’t wait to make this! I’m going to use ziti and send it in my son’s lunch for a change from sandwiches!

September 19, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Since there is already oil in the dressing, I would be wary of adding too much more. The mayo adds so much creaminess to the dressing. Maybe try using tofu instead for that creaminess?

• Savy

February 3, 2014 at 4:42 am

I agree with Rob that it’s one of the better Chinese spots witihn the price range. It’s no Mr Chow’s but it’s very reasonably priced. I would highly recommend the lo-mein which is unique since they use very fat noodles compared to the normal spaghetti style. I would stay away from the cold sesame noodles however since they were overly sweet and seem to be doused in sugar. Overall a solid delivery spot.

18. Pingback: Cold Soba Noodles | Banksyface

19. Easy Diet Program

December 6, 2011 at 4:53 am

I just couldn’t go away your website before suggesting that I actually enjoyed the standard info an individual provide in your visitors? Is gonna be again ceaselessly to investigate cross-check new posts

20. Pingback: Quick Diet

21. Meghna

April 1, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Delicious! Just made this tonight. So easy. I am always on the lookout for Asian noodle dishes, as my 2 year old is a HUGE fan. I think Pad Thai is easily her favorite food. Looking for a way to create a close second for her at home that is not grocery store Pad Thai in a box. The only critique I have of this is that it was a bit mild on flavor. Next time I will probably add more soy sauce and perhaps a twinge of sweet chili sauce for flavor/slight kick.

22. Amy F.

February 13, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I wasn’t sure how much 1 package of soba was. I eventually decided to use the whole package of 8.8 oz and it turned out fine. Everyone in the family liked it. Thanks for the great recipe!

23. Ashley

February 9, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Just made this for the kids and myself. I cut the recipe in half because it was only us. I’m so upset that i don’t have leftovers now for tomorrow!!!

24. Gail

February 5, 2009 at 12:02 am

How much almond butter does this recipe take? you only say 1/4 – 1/4 of what?

25. Jenny Rebecca

January 14, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Help! What is that last 1/4 measurement?