Growing up, one of my favorite recipes of my mother's was her lasagna. It was always a special dinner when she made it.
Now that I'm a mom, I love making lasagna for my own family. It's a hearty and healthy dish that turns any meal into a special occasion. Recently, I wanted to send Kenya to school with some for lunch. I decided to play around a bit and make these lasagna rolls. They're really fun for kids because the lasagnas are individual portions and kids feel special when they get anything that is their "own". They're also great for mom and dad because they fit snugly in your little one's lunchbox with out making a mess. The best part about this dish? It's got a carbohydrate, vegetable, protein and dairy so you know your family is eating a balanced meal all in one dish!
Lasagna Rolls (Serves 6-8)
- 9 Lasagna Noodles (I cook 1 extra in case they tear while boiling)
- 1 egg
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese (I used part skim ricotta)
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, divided
- 1 Tsp italian herbs
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Spinach or Broccoli, cooked and finely chopped (I used frozen, thawed and drained well)
- 1 1/2 Cups Marinara Sauce (or 1 1/2 cups <a href=\"http://b12.ba4.myftpupload.com/2009/10/06/weelicious-tomato-sauce/\">Weelicious Tomato Sauce</a>)
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, divided
Preparation1. Cook lasagna noodles in salted water 2 minutes less than package directions call for and rinse with cold water.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. In a bowl whisk the egg, ricotta, 1/4 cup parmesan, italian herbs, salt 1/2 cup mozzarella and broccoli or spinach to combine.
4. Place 1/4 cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9×11 inch baking dish.
5. Spread 1/3 cup of the ricotta mixture on each lasagna noodle, covering the sheet and roll up jelly roll style.
6. Place the lasagna rolls seam side down in the baking dish and top with remaining marinara sauce and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
7. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
8. Uncover and continue to cook an additional 15 minutes.
* You can also prepare the dish through step 6, cover and freeze. When ready to eat, bake for 45 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered.