This Vegetarian Skillet Lasagna is a simplified version of classic lasagna and is one of my family’s favorites. It’s packed with veggies and cooks all in one skillet! A win-win!
This Vegetarian Skillet Lasagna is a quick weeknight meal that everyone will love. This easy lasagna is filled with butternut squash and spinach which gives it a healthy boost. Since the vegetables are layered with a delicious marinara sauce, the pasta and lots of cheese, no one complains! It’s one of my favorite recipes to make to get a serving of veggies in for everyone in the family.
You guys know I love a one pan meal. They’re usually very simple and the clean up is a breeze. That’s one of the best parts of this lasagna recipe. Everything is done in one skillet! No need to boil the noodles or even turn on your oven for this one! Everything is done right on the stove top. It really couldn’t get easier and the results are a game-changer!
If you like this lasagna recipe I know you’ll love these other recipes too. After you try this one give these Lasagna Rolls, Polenta Lasagna or Slow Cooker 12 Layer Lasagna a try. Pair any of these with a big Salad Platter with Citrus Herb Vinaigrette and you’ve got a dinner that will make everyone excited when it’s on the meal plan for the week.
This Vegetarian Skillet Lasagna is so flavorful it can even make the meat lovers at your dinner table happy. Since we have two vegetarians and three meat eaters in our family, I’m always excited when I can make a recipe that satisfies both sides. With this vegetarian recipe there’s no reason to make something extra for the people who eat meat. They will leave the dinner table completely happy with this dinner in their bellies.
Make this Vegetarian Skillet Lasagna for your family this week and get ready for everyone to beg for it again and again!
Vegetarian Skillet Lasagna
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch cubes or 1 12-ounce bag fresh or frozen squash
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs, dried
- pepper, to taste
- 6 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- Heat oil in a 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat and sauté onions for 4 minutes. Add butternut squash cubes, garlic, two tablespoons of water and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fork tender. Add the spinach, stir and cook an additional minute uncovered.
- Remove squash and spinach mixture to a medium bowl and cool.
- In a separate bowl stir the ricotta, parmesan, Italian herbs, cooled squash mixture and 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste.
- Place 1/2 cup of the marinara in the same cast-iron skillet and top with 2 pasta noodles. Spread 1/2 of the ricotta mixture on top and sprinkle with 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese.
- Top with 1 cup marinara, 2 more noodles, 1/2 of ricotta mixture, remaining noodles, marinara and remaining mozzarella.
- Place pan over medium low heat, cover and cook for 25-30 minutes or until pasta is fork tender.
Heat oil and sauté what for 4 minutes? onions?
oh NVM!! I figured out its called the ricotta mixture, I was getting ahead of myself!
oops — as I got further into the recipe I realized there was no mention of including the squash, spinach, onion mixture. I added it in, and hoping for the best!!!
I’m guessing the initial saute for four minutes is for the onion?
Can this be made without using a cast iron skillet?
This looks wonderful. Thanks! I just bought some frozen squash cubes for it. Do I need to defrost them first?
Hi this looks delicious but i don’t own a cast iron skillet. Is there some reason this can’t be made in a heavy nonstick skillet?