Layered with rows of tortillas, chicken, cheese and salsa, Mexican Lasagna is the perfect recipe for an easy weeknight dinner that’s full of flavor!
Tortillas replace lasagna noodles in this casserole with a Mexican inspired twist. With all the salsa, cheese, and shredded chicken in this recipe it’s like having a fiesta any night of the week! This Mexican Lasagna recipe is great if you’re looking to feed a crowd. I made so much when I tested it out that the kids ate it for two days in a row…and they loved it!
This recipe is similar to my Crock Pot Mexican Tortilla Lasagna except this one is made in the oven! Plus it’s ready to serve in less than an hour and super easy to freeze if you have leftovers. You could even double the recipe and make an entire pan just to freeze and have on hand for an even easier weeknight meal. Or put leftovers in your kids school lunch with some avocado slices and call it a day!
Mexican food is probably our favorite type of food in our house. More often then not we’re making some sort of Mexican inspired recipe a couple times a week! We’ve yet to grow tired of a classic Taco Buffet to Baked Taquitos! Plus, now having two vegetarians in the family, Mexican dishes are so easy to make vegetarian friendly and everyone (even my meat eaters) love them. If you’re looking for that kind of thing, try Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas, Vegetarian Chimichangas, Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole or Vegetarian Baked Taquitos!
Part of the fun of this recipe is the assembly of all the layers, and it’s a great way to get your kids involved in the kitchen. Have the littlest ones later the tortillas while you spoon on the chicken and cheese mixture. Getting your kids invested in a recipe is one of the best ways to get them to try new things they might not have tried before! Although I don’t see this recipe being one you have to coax anyone to eat!
Vegetarian? I’ve got you covered! Replace the chicken with cubed firm tofu, sautéed vegetables or your favorite sautéed plant based meat substitute.
What’s your favorite Mexican inspired dish? Let me know in the comments or on social media!
- cooking oil spray
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into squares
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mild chunky salsa
- 1 pound chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 4 ounces cream cheese, half inch cubed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups Mexican cheese blend (or a blend of Monterey Jack and Mild Cheddar), divided
- Preheat oven to 350 F°.
- Place the quartered tortillas on an oil sprayed baking sheet, then spray the tops with additional oil.
- Bake for 5 minutes, remove and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk one egg. Add the milk, sour cream, salsa, shredded chicken, cubed cream cheese, cilantro, scallions and salt. Stir to combine.
- Arrange half of the par-baked tortillas on the bottom of an oil sprayed 7×11 baking dish. Layer half the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas, then layer 1 cup of the cheese blend on top.
- Continue to layer the rest of the tortillas on top, followed by the remaining chicken mixture and cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes.