Sweet Potato & Apple Casserole

sweet-potato-apple-casserole.jpg

As most of you know, I'm a big proponent of eating seasonally because you get the freshest, most delicious fruits and vegetables at the best price. But in today's age of being able to get whatever you want, whenever you want it, you can usually go to your local market at any time of year to get whatever produce you want, even if it is not being grown at that time of year -- say, an apple in the middle of summertime. If you live in the United States, that apple has likely been flown thousands of miles to your supermarket via South Africa (don't get me started on how much fuel and money is spent just for that to happen).

But it is fall now, and all across the country, sweet potatoes and apples are in season. If you live somewhere in the northeast like New York or Vermont, you can probably find over a dozen different varieties of apples at your local farmer's market. I'm in southern California and I counted six different varieties at mine last weekend . Most of the kids I know love apples and sweet potatoes so I decided to make a super easy and delicious side dish for the holidays. It only takes minutes to prepare and if you're having people over, doubling or even tripling the recipe is simple.

And remember, in more ways than one: 'tis the season.

Sweet Potato & Apple Casserole  (Serves 4)

As most of you know, I'm a big proponent of eating seasonally because you get the freshest, most delicious fruits and vegetables at the best price. But in today's age of being able to get whatever you want, whenever you want it. You can usually go to...

• 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 2 large apples (gala, fuji, or other sweet cooking apples), peeled, cored and cut into chunks
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 3 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 cup apple juice

1. 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. 2. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
  3. 3. Place the sweet potato/apple mixture in a buttered 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
  4. 4. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
  5. 5. Uncover, stir and bake an additional 20-30 minutes or until tender.
Sweet Potato & Apple Casserole

Comments

1. cnafis

March 21, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Love, love, love.

2. Pingback: Toodler Food | Sweet Sweet Nothings

3. Pingback: Right Start Blog | Apples! 15 recipes for a fall favorite

4. glamitaldiva

August 27, 2012 at 5:21 pm

This smells like fall while its cooking! Makes me wish is was Halloween time!

5. Ruth

August 27, 2012 at 7:43 am

Made this last night – could not believe how yummy it was. It smelled so good, even the picky boy tried it, although he does not like the texture of cooked fruit! Will definitely be making this frequently this fall.

6. Полярные Зори

December 25, 2011 at 6:19 pm

7. Pingback: 二手筆電

8. Pingback: auto insurance discounters, cheap car insurance, auto insurance discounter, Cheap Online Car Insurance, Low Cost Auto Insurance, The General Auto Insurance

9. Nook tablet coupon

November 21, 2011 at 12:44 am

Good day very nice web site!! Guy .. Excellent .. Superb .. I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionally?I am happy to find so many useful information right here in the post, we need work out more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

10. setup icloud

October 24, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Its like you learn my mind! You seem to know so much approximately this, such as you wrote the e-book in it or something. I believe that you can do with a few p.c. to force the message home a little bit, however instead of that, that is great blog. An excellent read. I will certainly be back.

11. Tamara

October 5, 2011 at 10:11 am

Has anyone frozen this with good results? We just got 10+ pounds of apples from our CSA so I am trolling Weelicious for toddler-friendly recipes that I can make and then freeze in portions.

12. Becky

November 24, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I am going to make this for Thanksgiving, thank you for the recipe, it looks really good!

13. Dana

November 17, 2010 at 8:31 pm

I made it with orange juice and it was still delicious.

14. Pris

November 15, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Thanks for both suggestions! I wasn’t worry about the sugar. We just never drink juice so there isn’t any in the house. We do have every kind of milk though (reg, soy, almond)

15. Pris

November 14, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Trying to get a menu ready for hosting Thanksgiving this year. Thanks for all the tips! Love you site.

Could I use honey or agave instead of maple syrup?? Do I have to use apple juice? I never have either in my house.

Thanks

November 15, 2010 at 1:21 pm

You can use honey and you can use water, the apple juice really gives it a nice flavor though.

• Becky

November 14, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Pris, I think you will most likely need to use the maple syryp to add the right level of sweetness but I am interested to hear Catherines Replay. If you are worried about sugar in the apple juice ( we don’t really drink it either) we use Motts Totts with the 25% less sugar or the Motts medleys where you get a full serving of fruits and veggies in 1 cup…I think I am going to make this for our T-giving next week since my 15 month old won’t eat alot of the other stuff we are serving….he is a vegatarian right now :)

16. KZ

August 18, 2010 at 10:40 am

I just ‘discovered’ your website & thank you sooo much for this recipe. My baby gobbled it up in no time :)

17. Lisa

January 4, 2010 at 5:34 pm

HI there, I am in Canada, I am confused on sweet potatoe and Yams. Here in calgary Alberta no matter where I go, Yams are orange and sweet potatoe are light in color, white almost when you cut into them and look like a potatoe almost on the outside.
    In your photo it looks like I would buy a yam ?

• Bette

February 5, 2014 at 3:30 am

Wait, I cannot fathom it being so sttraghrforwaid.

18. Gaby

December 20, 2009 at 7:35 pm

Hi! I have a question regarding this recipe: would it work if I use white potatoes? Here we can’t find sweet potatoes, and the version we have is not the same as the one suggested here.
    Thannks!
    Gaby, Mexico City.

19. Allison

December 20, 2009 at 12:51 am

What can I use in place of butter, since my toddler is allergic to milk?