Pumpkin Waffles

When I come up with a new recipe for weelicious, it usually takes me some to test it, write the post and stage and edit the photos and so on before publishing it here. But, earlier this week I innocently posted a picture of Kenya's lunch on my facebook and Twitter, and almost immediately I was barraged with emails and messages asking what it was that I made. So, by overwhelming demand, I bring you one of my favorite recipes, pumpkin waffles!

Over the holidays, I buy tons of canned pumpkin puree and inevitably it sits in the cabinet for months until I get around to using all of it. This recipe is for anyone who's overstocked on pumpkin and wants to get rid of it in the yummiest way possible!

In our house, we're all about serving these waffles for breakfast, but I decided to take them a step further. I like to make a big batch of waffles, enjoy half of them when I make them, freeze a few for future breakfasts (just pop them in the toaster oven when you need them) and make sandwiches with the remaining. Yes, sandwiches. How excited will your kids be when they open their lunch box to see cream cheese (and maybe some sliced fruit) between two fluffy pumpkin waffles? I guarantee you'll win mom (or dad) of the year for that one!

We used these to make this recipe:

Pumpkin Waffles  (Makes 12 4-inch Waffles)

• 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup milk (i used rice milk)
  • 1 cup buttermilk (i used low fat)
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted

1. 1. Preheat waffle iron.
  2. 2. Sift first 7 ingredients into a bowl.
  3. 3. In a separate bowl whisk the remaining ingredients.
  4. 4. Whisk the dry ingredients into the liquid mixture and whisk until smooth.
  5. 5. Pour about 1/2 cup of the pumpkin batter into a waffle iron that’s been buttered or greased and cook according to manufacturer’s directions.
  6. 6. Serve with maple syrup or make into sandwiches filling with cream cheese and whatever other fillings you desire.
  7. *Allow to cool, place in a ziploc bag, label and freeze. When ready, place in toaster oven or oven at 300 and heat for 10 minutes or until heated through.
Pumpkin Waffles

Comments

1. Pingback: How to Stock your Freezer – Including Recipes! | Soul Munchies

2. Crystal

March 30, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Is there any reason I shouldn’t make the batter the night before and stick it in the fridge until we wake up the next morning?

3. Pingback: 45 Glorious Pumpkin Breakfast Recipes | Kitchen Treaty

4. srdaniel

February 22, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Can I replace the brown sugar with agave? Will it alter the results any?

February 22, 2013 at 7:41 pm

You can, but it is a little tricky. Use half the amount of brown sugar called for if you’re using agave, and then increase the flour by the same amount. You might need to add a little more or less flour to get to the right consistency!

5. Pingback: Pumpkin Waffles « Kristine's Kitchen

6. Pingback: Whole Wheat Pumpkin Waffles + Our Own Domain! | Kids in the Sink

7. Pingback: Today’s (and yesterday’s) healthy bento lunch box: breakfast for lunch & PB and banana « greener, healthier living

8. Ruth

October 15, 2012 at 12:17 pm

This is a yummy recipe and makes perfect pancakes too.

9. Pingback: 20 Amazing Recipes For Canned Pumpkin!

10. Pingback: Penelope by Rebecca Harrington | wit + ink

11. itri19

August 16, 2012 at 9:19 am

This is definitely my new favorite waffle recipe! I was already using waffles like a sandwich w/ crem cheese & raisins between, but love the pumpkin!! I may try to us honey instead of brown sugar next time, as I usually have that on hand more. Thanks for a great website!!

12. MamaTick

July 26, 2012 at 10:33 am

I made these a couple of weeks ago and my baby loves them. I did alter the recipe, I used a whole can of pumpkin instead of just a cup, and they turned out great. They freeze wonderfully, so I am able to take out just the right amount for a snake or a meal (I broke them into 4s after I froze them).

13. Danae

March 10, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Love this recipe! I’ve used it to make pancakes several times. My parents just gave me their old waffle iron, so I finally got to make them as waffles. Yum!

14. Pingback: internet marketing

15. Pingback: health insurance

16. Pingback: cinnamon and honey

17. Pingback: Pumpkin Waffles Recipe « createbellacreate

18. Calising

November 19, 2011 at 5:06 am

Hi! Just curious what size waffle maker you use for your waffle sandwiches. There is a footnote on this recipe which says you use a Belgian waffle maker, however the photo doesn’t look like each side could be as thick as a Belgian waffle. Do you use two regular waffles or one Belgian waffle sliced in half? I just tried the latter and it was difficult to cut it without “holes” appearing on one side. Thanks!

19. Pingback: Creamy Pumpkin Pasta « project granola mom

20. Pingback: food allergy

21. Pingback: Healthy eating recipes begins by preparing healthier recipes at home with high quality ingredients. Discover out further information regarding healthy eating recipes, different foods, the nutrients that contain as well as the health benefits that it bring

22. Melissa

October 25, 2011 at 5:02 pm

The only problem with these, is you cannot make them with hungry children, they eat them up way too fast! :) Thanks!

23. Danae

October 12, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I just made these for dinner (with veggies on the side!), only I don’t own a waffle iron, so I cooked them like pancakes. It worked great and my kids are gobbling them up as I write this! Thanks for another great recipe!

24. Pingback: Make Your Own: Pumpkin Waffles | Baby In The Kitchen

25. Stefani

May 16, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I made a gluten free version of this – 1/2 cup GF oat flour, 1/2 cup brown rice flour, 1/2 cup sweet sorghum flor, 1/3 cup almond flour, 1/3 cup coconut flour, 1/3 cup millet flour, 1/2 tsp guar gum. I substituted Rice milk for the “milk” and substituted Whole Milk for the “buttermilk”- followed the rest of the recipe exactly as is and they turned out wonderful! This was my very first attempt at converting a recipe and when served with cream cheese and a touch of maple syrup – you would never know they were gluten free. Thank you Catherine for inspiring me and for providing such a wonderful recipe!

• Beytullah

February 4, 2014 at 1:20 am

PLimoReview by PLimoRating: I use this on a gas stove. This waffle maker makes prcfeet no-stick waffles every time. First I melted off the wax coating and seasoned the pan (see below for instructions). Get your wire cooling rack, a clean dishtowel and parchment paper and scissors. Cut about 12 squares of parchment paper to place one in between each cooked waffle (these can be reused for a couple batches and you can use them to place between your waffles for freezing in a container). The first time I cooked waffles on this iron, I didn’t realize I wasn’t supposed to spray the iron every time I put more batter in it. This worked out well for me because not one of my waffles stuck (although I did go through almost a whole can!). The second time I made waffles,I only sprayed the irons once at the beginning of the first waffle and they did not stick to the pan when not spraying each subsequent waffle. Here’s my technique for cooking heat each irons at same time on gas burners heated at medium heat. Using a potholder or folded dishtowel to hold the irons (because they get very hot) Spray the bottom iron’s cooking surface (away from flame, of course) (with the bar), place it back on the burner and using a #20 scooper, almost fill it with batter (I use Alton Brown’s recipe). Using the back of the scoop smooth it out until the batter is about an inch from the edges of the iron. Turn off the burner under the other iron this is the one with the hook end (and spray that one with butter spray). Carefully place the hook into the bar and place iron on top of the iron filled with batter and align properly. After one minute has passed, use your towel and flip the irons over (still on medium heat). Cook another minute and check each side using a wooden skewer. You may need to flip it again to brown a little more. I like my waffles a light golden brown. Release the waffle from the iron using a wooden skewer and unhinge the top. Put waffle onto dish towel and start your next waffle, heating both irons again on medium heat. When the second waffle is cooked, place a square of parchment paper on the first waffle and stack it on top. Continue this process. If you like your waffles crispy, pop them into the toaster oven. My daughters now prefer the home-made waffles over storebought!The first thing I did was boil a kettle of water to pour over the waffle iron to melt off the wax coating placed on the iron to protect it in shipping. Be careful use pot holders to lift it and turn it over it will get very hot. Now it’s time to season the waffle iron. Preheat oven to 350F. Separate both pieces of the waffle iron and coat each of the 4 sides with lard or Crisco shortening using a paper towel or pastry brush to get into all the little squares. Crisco is the preferred choice because it is very highly refined, although I have used lard. It will start to melt immediately because the waffle iron will still be hot/warm from melting off the wax coating. Use paper towels to smear the fat all over the pan, handle and everything. Keeping the two piece apart still, place the two pieces onto a cookie sheet lined with foil, square sides facing down. Using proper ventilation (because this can get a bit smokey), place the cookie sheet and waffle irons in the 350-degree oven for an hour. Do not open the oven during cooking or you will get a huge cloud of smoke in your kitchen. Turn the oven off, leave oven door closed still; let the pan cool down (I let mine cool down overnight), wipe off the excess oil, and put it away.The whole process of cooking waffles on cast iron can be quite therapeutic if you’re not doing it in the morning rush to get breakfast on the table. I always do it in the afternoon or on the weekends when I have time. I hope you love making homemade waffles on your teflon-free waffle iron as much as I do! I think I’m going to order the one with the long handles for camping! It wasn’t available when I ordered this one.Bon appetit!

26. Pingback: Pumpkin Waffles | Fried Rice & Eggs

27. Morgan

March 21, 2011 at 12:58 pm

My family loved these! We have been eating them as a snack too!

28. Edmund Bublitz

February 7, 2011 at 11:19 am

Wonderful site, where did you come up with the knowledge in this piece of content? I’m happy I found it though, ill be checking back soon to see what other articles you have.

29. Sarah W.

February 3, 2011 at 6:55 pm

hey catherine! I tried this out as well with pancakes instead of waffles and it was fantastic!

30. Pingback: Lunchbox Lament. | Love Bugs and Legal Pads

31. Laura Degnan

January 11, 2011 at 2:09 pm

As always, weelicious comes through for this house!! Delicious! Thank you Catherine!

32. Kathleen

December 26, 2010 at 8:10 am

My kids are allergic to eggs and dairy. What can I use to substitute the eggs?

• Barbara

January 7, 2011 at 3:05 am

You can use applesauce instead of eggs. 1/4 cup unsweetened (not chunky) applesauce plus 1/2 teas baking powder for each egg you are replacing.

33. Anna

December 16, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I don’t have a waffle iron, but can I use the same batter to make pancakes?

December 21, 2010 at 5:33 pm

yes you can!! :)

34. Jamie R

November 21, 2010 at 10:06 am

We just made these this morning with a few modifications because we are dairy free. I used Earth Balance in place of the butter, and coconut milk instead of milk. We also used butternut squash puree instead of pumpkin and then later added some freeze dried apples for fun. The waffles turned out lovely and we will definitely use this recipe again!

35. Pingback: Fear of Pumpkin Waffle Change | Mom's Journal

• Jamie R

November 21, 2010 at 10:10 am

I forgot to say that we also used white whole wheat flour and it worked perfectly! Light and airy just like regular flour without the coarseness of whole wheat flour.

36. Kaylin

October 22, 2010 at 8:59 am

We loved these! The kids even commented on the smell and they dug right in! This recipe is definitely a good reason for stocking up on pumpkin! Thanks so much!

37. filaree way

October 20, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I ran out of both buttermilk and regular milk, so I used 1 cup rice milk and one cup plain yogurt. Turned out great!

38. Susan

October 11, 2010 at 6:35 am

I had extra batter and not enough time to make all of it, so I froze the batter. Can I do that? Thanks

October 11, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I have never froze batter so not sure how that would be, let me know if you make more waffles with it!

39. Erin

October 9, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Did you adapt this recipe from smitten kitchen? It’s almost identical to hers! I’m looking forward to making them for breakfast tomorrow morning, mixing up the dry ingredients now so they’ll be ready to go. :)

October 11, 2010 at 2:30 pm

That is so funny that you say that, I have not seen smitten kitchen’s recipe for this, I’ll take a look at it! Thanks! :) But I do love Smitten Kitchen!

40. Gina

October 7, 2010 at 9:18 pm

This recipe calls for plain flour. Is that different from all purpose flour?

October 11, 2010 at 2:45 pm

41. Leslie

October 6, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Yum! We folded dried cranberries and walnuts into the cream cheese and made sandwiches, perfect start to fall.

October 6, 2010 at 2:05 pm

love it!!

42. Mrs. Price

October 4, 2010 at 3:29 pm

These were a big hit at my house. My son ate 3!!!!!

43. cathi

July 15, 2010 at 5:25 pm

These waffles are delicious!

Have you made them with a wheat flour / white flour combination?

July 16, 2010 at 2:34 pm

No, did you make yours with that combination? How did they turn out?

• cathi

September 12, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I *finally* had a chance to make these with a white/wheat flour combo and they were great! I used 1 1/2 c. white flour and 1 c. wheat flour. The kids drank the last of the milk as I was mixing these together, so I substituted 1 cup of water for the cup of milk and the waffles turned out fluffy and delicious. Thanks again for the recipe!

44. susan

June 27, 2010 at 1:40 pm

i made these for the first time, I was so PROUD of my self. First I have never made waffles and to make them from scratch they were amazing. I made extra and I think we ate them everyday for a week! The whole family loved them and I especially loved the idea that we were getting healthy pumpkin in there too.

45. Waffeleisen

February 19, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Hmm YUM! *-). Thank you for the share

46. Urs Jepsen

February 8, 2010 at 7:21 pm

These waffles are amazing! I can’t get enough of them. THANK YOU!

Urs

47. kay

January 21, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Can you make with with regular milk instead of buttermilk?

May 6, 2010 at 6:18 pm

yes you can

48. Lisa

January 20, 2010 at 9:54 pm

maybe my question was not phrased correctly, just wanted to know what 1 MILK meant for the ingredients, as in what measurement as it already has butter milk…thanks

May 6, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Sorry there was a typo, it is 1 Cup Milk

49. Pingback: The 11 Best Foods You Probably Aren’t Eating | Weelicious ™ - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food and recipes for the entire family!

50. Laura

January 16, 2010 at 11:59 am

I just made a half recipe of these for my family for breakfast. I didn’t have the buttermilk so I just used non-fat milk, and when it came time to add the pumpkin, I realized all I had was organic “pumpkin pie mix” puree. Oops! They were still delicious and my 2-year old son ate 2 whole waffles! (My husband ate 5!)

51. britain

January 14, 2010 at 4:00 pm

hi,
    this recipe sounds awesome! i was wondering what i could substitute buttermilk with? we’re lactose intolerant over here.

thanks!

May 6, 2010 at 6:27 pm

You can use Rice Milk, or Almond Milk , Soy Milk :)

• Marsha

December 28, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Loved this recipe! My boys each ate 2 waffles and hubby loved them as well. I typically don’t have buttermilk on hand so the typical substitution I use is 1 cup milk mixed with 1 tbsp white vinegar. Works great! I also used 1 cup of white whole wheat flour along with 1 1/2 c. All purpose flour.

52. Kim

January 14, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Just wanted to thank you for having such a wonderful healthy food blog. What kind of milk does your kids drink? I notice you cook alot with almond and rice milk. Do you have a healthy version of frosting for cupcakes?

May 6, 2010 at 6:28 pm

We drink almond milk, whole,and rice milk.

53. Lori

January 14, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Looks SO yummy! Did you add any flavoring to the cream cheese? I love the idea of cutting the waffles to make sandwiches. Thanks!

May 6, 2010 at 6:30 pm

No we used plain cream cheese and it was great!

54. Jennifer

January 14, 2010 at 7:12 am

That is a fabulous idea! I will definitely be putting that in my daughter’s lunch box soon. My son is allergic to cinnamon – do you think I could leave it out?

May 6, 2010 at 6:30 pm