Banana Leather

banana-leather.jpg

One of Kenya's favorite snack foods is Trader Joe's "Nothing But Bananas, Flattened". As the name clearly states, there's nothing in them except for bananas. As much as I truly adore Trader Joe's, I wanted to see if I could save a little money and make a similar version to this treat on my own. When I tell you my attempt took no effort or time, I mean it. All I did was slice the bananas, lay them on a cookie sheet and bake for just over an hour. It was so easy and I think they're even better than the Trader Joe's version.

But, don't take my word for it. Let your family do a taste test and see for yourself. When Kenya saw these come out of the oven, he proceeded to eat the entire tray's worth. Good thing I had more bananas on hand to make another batch!

P.S. This is a great teething snack for babies.

Banana Leather  (Makes Approx. 12 Strips)

• Cook Time: 1 hrs, 15 mins,

• 2 bananas

1. 1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
  2. 2. Slice the bananas lengthwise into 1/8 inch strips.
  3. 3. Place the banana strips on a Silpat or parchment lined baking sheet and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
  4. 4. Cool and serve.
Banana Leather

Comments

1. Cameron

February 5, 2014 at 12:06 am

I love oranges, kiwis, and more, but my hbausnd won’t move beyond the apple and banana regimen, so I hardly ever buy anything but that, because it’ll go bad before I have a time to eat it. I need to get better about buying smaller quantities.

2. KB

January 16, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Is there some trick to keep them from sticking to the parchment paper? I’ve made them twice and getting them unstuck was a dreadful process. I ended up with a sticky mess of shredded parchment paper, but the ones that I did unstick were delicious and my teething baby loved them.

• iLrw

February 3, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Hi KB,

I haven’t made these yet but do you think it could be the banana was too ripe, or not ripe enough? Maybe experiment with that. Also, you could try putting a very light coating of coconut oil on the paper first? I’m going to try making these this week!

3. Michelle

December 9, 2013 at 12:32 am

Can you store these and for how long? What would be the best way to store them?

4. Beth D

August 19, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Hi! I made these today and they didn’t turn out. There were a few ends that dried up and were good but the rest were mushy and stuck to the parchment paper. They were pretty thin so I don’t think that was the issue. Should they bake longer?

August 20, 2013 at 9:52 am

Yes, they probably needed to cook for longer!

5. Pingback: Banana Leathers! - DIY Savvy Home

6. Jamie B.

July 11, 2013 at 12:08 pm

This banana leather looks so yummy! I know my little guy will love it (Mommy probably will too)! I want to try this today, but I’m out of parchment paper. Will they turn out on the baking sheet without parchment? I love, love, love your website! Thanks for all the great recipes!

July 11, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I think they would stick to the baking sheet which is why I use the parchment!

• Jamie B.

July 12, 2013 at 8:54 am

Thanks for your quick response. I’ll wait until I get some parchment to try the banana leather. I decided to make the banana bites instead for breakfast this morning. . . My 15 month old loved them and so did I!

7. Allison Cordova

February 28, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Just wanted to stop by and say “thank you” for this great website! It is a wonderful tool and resource for me! I also love your cookbook (I pre-ordered it) I have two girls. A four yr old and a nine month old. I try hard to feed them healthy, though it’s not always easy :)

8. cicero01

January 2, 2013 at 11:40 am

my son is six months, has no teeth yet, but has been teething for about 2 months. is he too young for these?

January 2, 2013 at 3:34 pm

If he loves to chew on things this would be great! Definitely watch him closely when you’re first introducing any new food, flavor or texture!

9. Courtney

December 22, 2012 at 12:33 pm

My daughter is eight months old and has 5 teeth, but three of them aren’t all the way out, do you think these are a good idea for her?

December 26, 2012 at 1:46 pm

This should still be okay. Watch her closely when you give her the first one to see how she handles it!

• Eve

February 2, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Inoramotifn is power and now I’m a !@#$ing dictator.

10. Pingback: Roasted Banana LeatherNurture & Nourish | Nurture & Nourish

11. Tiffany

October 9, 2012 at 6:56 pm

What age do you recommend these for? I made them today, gave them to my baby while supervising and pieces broke off. I had to finger sweep her mouth. Very scary!

October 10, 2012 at 11:13 am

It really depends on your baby and what stage she’s at! I gave these to my kids while they were teething. Good job making sure to supervise when offering a new food!

12. Sara J

September 17, 2012 at 11:29 am

I just made these last night, and the house smelled great while they were baking, like banana bread, and they tasted great!. But, some of the pieces came out a bit crisp, and others were still a little mushy. Maybe some were too thin and others too thick? They also kept falling apart while cutting. What do you recommend as the perfect ripeness of the bananas? Mine were starting to get brown spots and little too soft (in my opinion) to eat.

13. Sarah

September 9, 2012 at 9:25 am

If I bake two batches at once will it change the time?

September 10, 2012 at 11:47 am

Probably not, but I would switch the trays halfway through. Rotate them and switch their positions!

14. Ruth

August 27, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I made these this weekend (along w/ strawberries) and brushed them lightly with a dilute honey glaze. I baked on a silpat at 195 deg (also had a pan of strawberry rollups in there) and it took a VERY long time – about 3.5 hours for the bananas and strawberries to become crispy. I thought they were fantastic – which is a good thing, b/c nobody else in my family would touch them. Yum, more for me!

15. Lisa

August 10, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I tried these and they didn’t come out right. I cut them thin and they broke apart, and the ones that were slightly thicker were gooey and mushy. I don’t know what I did wrong but I followed the directions. Is it possible that they need more time in the oven? The crispy thin ones were delicious but I dont think I would give them to my baby. Any tips?

16. Esther

July 25, 2012 at 11:30 am

Have you tried this in a dehydrator?

17. Brandy Alley

July 16, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I attempted to make these for the first time today and found that I didn’t cut them very well and had trouble with getting them off the parchment paper as well. =P I’ve never really liked bananas even as a kid and all through my entire life but there are so yummy! Absolutely addicting!

18. Judy

July 3, 2012 at 11:05 pm

OMG, I can’t wait to try making these! I live in Canada, where there are no TJs, and my mum just came up from the States for her summer visit and brought me only 2 packs of Flattened Bananas! I was hoping to find a recipe that didn’t require a dehydrator, so I’m very excited and will let you know how I make out. Cheers!

19. Nikki

July 2, 2012 at 11:15 am

This is great! I’ll do anything to make my own stuff rather than buy Trader Joe’s – there’s so much plastic packaging per serving of snack food! I’m excited to try this.

20. J. Darling

March 29, 2012 at 11:43 am

I love you! Tried this tuesday and LOVE them. My 2 & 4 year old call them candy and mommy and daddy love them too. I’ve never liked banana chips but these are nice and soft. Hubby used to by dried bananas whole from the natural food store as a treat but I think mommy can make them now, thanks to you! Which is great because the last batch needs returned to the store as something is wrong with it…

21. Doris

September 10, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Two techniques might make slicing the bananas lengthwise a bit easier. One would be to briefly freeze the bananas. The second would be to slice the bananas with the peeling left intact. I would use a serated bread knife for slicing in either method.

22. J-Bo

April 13, 2011 at 12:10 pm

what age would you say baby can have these?

I made my daughter your teething cookies the other night and she loved them!

23. Michelle

March 30, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Trying this tonight! Perfect for the baby

24. Robyn

March 9, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Sadly no, I can’t :( My guess is that it doesn’t work in convection ovens then?

March 9, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Try setting the oven at a lower temperature and see if it works that way. Convection ovens cook things faster than a regular oven. So I would either set the temperature lower or cut the cooking and check on it to make sure it does not burn.

• J. Darling

March 29, 2012 at 11:39 am

Try checking every 10-15 min after 30 min…

I have a convection oven too and was baking banana bread a 350, when the first tray of bread came out I started my first tray of bananas and checked ever 15 min till they were getting brown on edges…they were still stoft in center when I took them out but stiffened to leather as they cooled. Ones that were dry ended up being more like chips…

25. Robyn

March 8, 2011 at 10:27 am

I tried this today too- and it was an epic FAIL. I have a convection oven, so the fan is too much I think. They were dried, shriveled and not tasty. Not sure what I did wrong :S

March 8, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Can you turn the convection off in your oven? I think that may have been the problem.

26. Casey

February 17, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I tried this today, used a ripe bright yellow banana and my mandolin set to 1/8″ The strips were so thin they broke apart before I could get them on the silicone mat, and then 20 minutes before the timer went off I checked on them and they were little crispy bits, they shattered when I tried to get them off the silicone mat which they were very much stuck to. I am guessing they need to be thicker?

27. terra mfadin

February 16, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Do I use a ripe banana with spots on the peel or a fresh banana still with pretty yellow peel?

February 17, 2011 at 6:30 pm

You can use any kind :)

28. Barb

February 16, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Can they be microwaved?
    An hour is a bit long just for bananas.

• Emre

February 5, 2014 at 12:04 am

Beautiful photos! It will be a while until we have local fritus and veggies available, but I am fortunate that our local store carries a lot of organic produce. Lately, I’ve started seeing strawberries from Florida. Fortunately, there are a lot of great citrus fritus, too Available all year round.

February 16, 2011 at 3:48 pm

unfortunately no, you really need the oven to dehydrate the bananas.

29. Eve

October 24, 2010 at 11:56 am

How do you slice them so thin? Do you place them in the freezer first? I just made these but they didn’t coome out well :( I think its because they are too thick. Any tips are appreciated!

30. Pingback: I have a problem | And Baby Makes Eight

31. Pingback: TASTY THURSDAY: Banana Flats | Momsense in NJ's Blog

32. Lisa

June 9, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I made them but they stuck to the wax paper…any suggestions…can I used cooking spray on a baking sheet?

June 10, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I would suggest using a Silpat, if you don’t have that, then spray some cooking spray on the wax paper and see if that helps.

33. Rusted Sun

March 17, 2010 at 8:25 pm

So excited to try these. I love Trader Joe’s nothing but bananas, but we don’t live anywhere near one these days.
    How many bananas did you use?

May 4, 2010 at 2:14 pm

You can use as many bananas as you want, there is no limit! these are great!

34. Foxmom

March 10, 2010 at 12:18 am

I love this… In theory. But in practice not as much. How do you get 1/8in slices? I’m not bad in the kitchen but my bananas just kept trying to fall apart while I was cutting. They were nicely ripe not even to the spotty stage yet. Where’d I go wrong?

• BEX

September 17, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I would put them in the fridge first- they might be easier to manipulate if they are on the colder side :)

35. Olivia

March 9, 2010 at 9:20 pm

I have never heard of such a thing, I will have to try this for sure! :)

36. Joan Bartz

March 9, 2010 at 4:23 pm

How long do you think these will last? My son enjoys the dehydrated bananas from Trader Joe’s, but they have palm oil, which we try to avoid. I look forward to trying these!

May 4, 2010 at 2:32 pm

They can last a couple of day on the counter, but they last longer in the fridge!

37. Beth

March 9, 2010 at 4:01 pm

BRILLIANT! Both my boys LOVE the TJs Flattened Banana (my husband joked when I brought them home, “So, I’m confused. What’s in these?”). But we were at TJs just today and they were out of stock! I’m absolutely going to try your recipe. Thanks for the tip! How thinly did you slice the bananas, and was it difficult?

May 4, 2010 at 2:33 pm

This is the easiest recipe ever! Just slice them up about an 1/8 inch thick on a bias and put them on the baking sheet and bake away!

38. Auds

March 9, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Is this 250 celcius or Farenheit??

May 4, 2010 at 2:34 pm

All recipes are in Fahrenheit.

39. Melissa

March 9, 2010 at 3:14 pm

how do you store these? and how long are they good for?

May 4, 2010 at 2:35 pm

You can store them a couple of days on the counter, but they last longer in the fridge. I store them in a container and they are usually gone after 2 days!

40. Vickie

March 9, 2010 at 11:43 am

Those are awesome! I wonder how they keep if I made alot at a time. I might try it with other fruits too. Maybe peaches, pears, or even avocadoes. Hmmm..

41. sacha

March 9, 2010 at 5:47 am

hi
    i love these strips, so easy to make and really tasty ,wonderful!