Zucchini Muffins

Zucchini Muffins

zucchini-muffins.jpg

Yum

My mother used to make the most delicious zucchini bread. Whenever friends were coming over to our house or she needed a culinary gift, it was one of the most popular recipes in her repertoire. It's amazing to me that a bread starring a vegetable (technically, zucchini is a fruit, but try convincing your kids of that fact) was so appealing to a kid like myself, but it was. So, if you have a little one who is normally zucchini averse, this bread may turn them around on it for good.

I don't know why so many people have emailed me recently asking for a healthy zucchini bread recipe, but I'm happy to oblige with a weelicious version. There are a lot of zucchini bread recipes out there loaded with white or brown sugar, so I decided to make mine using agave nectar instead. I also opted to bake them in muffin cups instead of a loaf shape so it's more kid friendly. Zucchini is a good supplier of potassium and vitamin A and it has a consistency that makes for a deliciously moist bread. When I made a batch for breakfast last week, Kenya turned into a muffin eating machine. It was then that I realized that it wasn't important if zucchini was a fruit or a vegetable. To him, it was simply delicious.

Zucchini Muffins  (12 Muffins or 24 Mini Muffins)

• 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs, whisked
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
  • 2/3 cup agave nectar
  • 1 1/2 cups zucchini, shredded (about 2 small zucchini)

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. 2. Place the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
  3. 3. Place the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk to combine.
  4. 4. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir just until the ingredients are combined.
  5. 5. Pour the zucchini mixture into large or small muffins cups (I like to use a small ice cream scooper to make spooning into the muffin cups easier).
  6. 6. Bake 15 minutes for small muffins and 20 minutes for large ones.
  7. 7. Cool and serve.
Zucchini Muffins

Comments

1. lkomp

October 23, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Delicious! My 17 month old loved them so much, he ate two right away! He’s a picky eater, so these are perfect! Thank you for providing such great recipes!

2. Pingback: Can U Bake Zucchini | Got Healthy

3. Flavia

August 9, 2014 at 7:26 am

I made these last week and we all loved them. My daughter asked me to always bake these muffins! I didn’t have agave nectar, so I used honey instead. I also added a little nutmeg because I am crazy for it, but I am sure they would have been lovely without it too. Thank you for another great recipe!

4. Jessica

July 9, 2014 at 7:20 pm

I just made these, they are awesome! My toddler ate it too, great way to give veggies.

5. Julie

June 11, 2014 at 1:39 pm

These are delicious! I sub whole wheat pastry flour for both cups, and use coconut oil. My one-year-old devours them!

6. nikkiprez78

April 26, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Love these muffins and so do my girls. We are gluten free as two of my girls have autism, so we substitute gluten free flour blend for the flours used in this recipe and add additional baking time. I also substitute honey for agave as I find it lends a better flavor.

7. Denise

March 17, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Very delicious.. Followed recipe except used combination of honey and maple syrup for agave, 1/4-1/2 cup of semisweet chocolate chips, and a sprinkling of turbinado sugar on the top for some crunch. Baking time was on point at 15 min! My sons preschool ate them all up. I made the mini’s and I had 3 for me!! Also by making mini’s the batter made 36.

8. jenninyc

March 13, 2014 at 4:49 pm

These are a huge hit at our house!

9. Karin

December 10, 2013 at 2:01 pm

looking for muffin recipes

10. mamawit

December 9, 2013 at 9:55 am

I made these for my very picky 22 month old last night. As I was washing dishes I saw them being stolen off the counter. She loved them and she never eats veggies let alone whole grains. Thanks!

11. dalyfm

October 17, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Good Recipe!! I also used the applesauce instead of oil. I brought them over to a recent playdate and everyone liked it!

12. maureen

October 16, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Pretty good recipe…i used applesauce instead of oil and added 1shredded carrot and flaxseed. I might add nutmeg or another spice next time. But my picky 2 year old is eating it . :)

13. Mary T.

September 18, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Aaah, thanks for the ice cream scoop tip. How much easier it was!

14. Kambria

September 1, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I have made this recipe twice with my toddler and both times it has been so dry I have had to add almost a cup of milk. Not sure if I am doing something wrong. The zucchini is juicy and fresh from the garden, maybe because I use 1/2 amount agave but it seems that would not be the issue. Otherwise delicious muffins

15. Eileen Keane

August 9, 2013 at 3:25 pm

would like to join mailing list please

16. Shawn

August 5, 2013 at 9:34 pm

It’s zucchini time again! Thanks to my CSA and our own backyard garden I have more zucchinis than we can eat at dinner. Thank you Catherine for posting wonderfully healthy zucchini recipes. This is one of my favorite. I used honey instead of agave and apple sauce instead of oil. I also added mini choc chips because my kids love them. One thing though this recipe makes 24 mini plus 12 regular muffins for me.

17. Pingback: Great Toddler Muffin Recipes -

18. Laura

July 25, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Hi,
    Can you sub honey for the Agave?

19. Valerie

July 8, 2013 at 4:55 pm

My daughter (25 months) actually ate one and liked it – and when I tell you she eats nothing I’m hardly exaggerating! I did offer it to her bottom side up so she wouldn’t see the zucchini coming out of the top :) it worked, though. I followed the recipe just reduced everything by halves since I only made six. They were moist and delicious. Thank you!

20. hunnybelle236

March 6, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I made these this morning – my two year old loved them!! Couple of changes – I used about a cup of zucchini and about a half a cup of chopped carrots too (why not?!) and I used applesauce instead of the oil. These muffins have the water from the veggies, they really didnt need the oil. In fact, I didnt notice a change in taste at all! very yummy!

21. Lana

January 21, 2013 at 6:02 pm

These sound delicious.

22. ira

November 25, 2012 at 11:19 am

I have a couple of questions:
    Can I use only whole wheat flour?
    Can I use honey instead of agave?

November 26, 2012 at 12:51 pm

You can use all whole wheat flour, but the muffins will come out more dense and with a nutty flavor. You can always use honey and agave interchangeably at a 1:1 ratio!

23. Pingback: Getting your kid to eat « Strolling the City in Heels

24. Pingback: my weekend in photos « The Gilbertson Family

25. Amanda

August 28, 2012 at 8:33 am

These were moist and delicious. I had to mix agave, honey and maple syrup because I was short on sweeteners but somehow it worked! Serve with some cream cheese. So good!

26. Julia

August 16, 2012 at 7:35 pm

So I made these tonight… I used flax “eggs”, added chia seeds and only used 1/4 c. agave… SO DELISH!!!

Thank you!!!

27. Kelly

August 12, 2012 at 1:21 pm

If I wanted to make these with gluten free flour, like with oat flour, how would substitute for the all-purpose and wheat flour?

28. Nichola

August 8, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Can I use Mexican squash (the light green zucchini-looking things found at the farmer’s market) instead of zucchini in muffins and breads?

August 8, 2012 at 2:12 pm

That should work just fine. :)

29. Kendall

August 2, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I just made this for my 13 mon. old and he loved them!! (And so did I!) I added an extra 1/2 cup to make it 2 cups even of zucchini, I have to hide all the veggies I can get in, and added 2 T ground flaxseed and 2T wheat germ, they turned out great!

30. Adrianne

July 18, 2012 at 7:33 pm

All I can say is YUMMY!!!!! My 22 month old, 4 year old, and 7 year old only stopped eating them because I made them. I made two batches and froze one. I am planning to make another batch tonight (so much zucchini) this time with raisins. I don’t think I could go back to other recipe. Thanks!!! First time on blog but I’ll be back for sure!

31. Pingback: $500 Muffins « Ribbons And Bows And Pink Sparkly Toes

32. Pingback: Stand-Up Paddleboarding & Feeding a Toddler: Homemade Cheese Crackers and Zucchini Muffins | Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy.

33. Pingback: My Lesson in Baking « What Carolyn Cooks

34. Melissa B

May 2, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I just need to tell you that I LOVE these muffins. There are nothing short of amazing. I am so happy they are not extra sweet like most zucchini recipes out there. I can’t wait till my son wakes up from his nap to try them. Thank you for all that you do!

35. catherine

April 30, 2012 at 12:05 pm

That is for 1 egg!

36. Sarah

April 28, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I want to make these for my kids school lunches. My son however has an egg allergy, we usually use an egg replacer but I like the idea of ground flax. You had mentioned earlier 1tbsp gr flax with 3 tbsp water, is that for one egg or 2 eggs?

37. Pingback: f1 forum

38. Pingback: kitchenaid ice cream attachment

39. Pingback: Simple snack ideas for hungry toddlers and preschoolers

40. Christine

February 20, 2012 at 1:11 am

Got some zucchini from the farmers market at church today so I tried this out made it with honey in place of the agave, turned out really good and my daughter helped me make them and was excited to eat her zucchini this way :)

41. Pingback: Zucchini Muffins- MY Way | Getting Fresh on Maui

42. Kelly

February 10, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I just made these tonight and they are delicious!! I didn’t have agave nectar on hand so I used a cinnamon infused maple syrup, and added raisins. They were so good!!! I’m enjoying one right now! :o)

43. Pingback: Food Glorious Food! « Peekaboo Press

44. Pingback: download ramgen revilla janelle sex video bedroom

45. Pingback: raisin bran muffins,bran muffins,muffins

46. Amanda

December 6, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Can I use shredded apples in place of the zucchini? I need to make apple cinnamon muffins for my son’s school holiday party but can’t find a healthy version of an apple cinnamon muffin recipe. My family loves these so I thought maybe I could just sub the apples for zucchini and have another winner.

47. Jeannette

September 2, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I just made these and they are delicious! I used whole wheat pastry flour in place of the whole wheat flour and the all purpose flour. I also added a 1/2 cup of raisins and cut the oil down to 2 Tbsp (I added 1/4 cup whole milk yogurt to replace the oil and keep the muffins moist).

48. Rebecca

August 29, 2011 at 7:36 am

I’ve made these twice, yummy! The second time I put carrots in also and it turned out great. Me, my mom, my eleven year old sister, and my two year old sister loved them! Thnx catherine!

49. Pingback: Zucchini Muffins « Sweaty Sneakers

50. Aimee

August 3, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I’ve never made zucchini muffins before but I had to find something to do with the 3 random zucchini’s in my fridge! This recipe was delicious and super easy! My little sous chef was a great help and sprinkled some mini chocolate chips on the tops of the 2nd batch (yea, I pretty much ate the 1st!). Thanks for such great recipes for the wee ones!!

51. Melanie

July 27, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Just made these today with some zucchini fresh from our garden and they are awesome! My 2 year old has already had one and is now hanging off of the stove trying to get at the rest! I think next time I might add some raisins or walnuts.

52. Liza

July 26, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I’ve made these countless times. My 18 month old and her friends always love these muffins. Today I decided to mix it up – subbed out half the zucchini for carrots. Because I knew they’d lend a sweeter taste, I reduced agave to 1/2 cup. The zucchini/carrot muffin has been a big hit at our house, and I’m happy to get two different veggies in.

53. Pingback: Make Your Own : Zucchini Muffins | Baby In The Kitchen

54. Marpepp

July 9, 2011 at 8:11 am

This recipe is great! We added raisins and walnuts and used honey instead of agave nectar since it’s what we had on hand. We also subbed some of the sweetener for molasses to give it a nutrient boost and added 2 tablespoons of salba (chia) seeds for even more nutrients. We also subbed 1/4 cup of the wheat flour for millet flour to add some protein. I was nervous that they would taste to “healthy” but even my husband loved them! It’s true that they are not very sweet but my husband liked them and my toddler (who is SUPER picky) ate two mini muffins this morning! Thanks!

55. LoriinCali

June 30, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Can you use pureed veggies in these instead of shredded? I have some pureed zucchini and carrots that I need to use up.
    Thanks!

56. Michelle

June 4, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I’d like to make this in an 8×8 pyrex baking dish (so I can cut it out in the shape of a 1 for my ds’s 1st birthday). Does anyone know…
    1)how to adjust the baking time? and
    2) if I use the flaxseed/water substitute for egg, does that ratio replace one egg or both?

Thanks!

57. Jodie

May 31, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Made these this weekend, so yummy! My husband rolled his eyes at first, and then he had a bite and now he loves them! Took a little convincing to get the kids to try them (they’re now called Green Apple Muffins), but they do like them. After they’ve been eating them for a few days I’ll tell them about the zucchini!

58. Pingback: Dining out: The best portable highchair « parenture

59. er517

May 25, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I made these today – LOVE ‘EM!!

I was short a few ingredients, so here’s what I did:
    * instead of whole wheat flour, I used 1c. oatmeal
    * instead of agave nectar, I used honey
    * I did 1c. zucchini and 1/2c. carrots

thanks!!

60. Jen

April 23, 2011 at 10:44 am

What if we wanted to make a savory version of these muffins? I don’t have agave and she’s not supposed to have honey yet. Could we substitute cheese for the agave and not use vanilla? Any ideas for a variation like this? Thanks!

• Jen

April 23, 2011 at 10:45 am

By “she,” I meant my 9 month old. Sorry for any confusion. ;)

• Melissa

September 18, 2011 at 8:27 am

I believe using honey should be fine because it is cooked

• Agiraffe

January 6, 2013 at 10:10 pm

No, children under 1 are not supposed to have honey even if it is cooked. The problem is the botulism spores (the reason you are worried about honey) are not destroyed by high heat.

61. Bonnie

March 30, 2011 at 11:26 am

I mixed this recipe with the strawberry one becasue I had some strawberries I wanted to use. So I just bravely added about 1/2 a cup of diced strawberries and some lemon zest…YUM! Cant wait for my twins to wake up to taste them!

62. Megan

February 22, 2011 at 8:09 am

Made these the other day and they are amazing!! My 16 month old usually doesn’t care for muffins, but LOVED these…she sat in my lap holding a muffin in each hand and then got upset if I reached for the last one on the plate! Will have to double the recipe next time because they’re already gone. Yum!!!

63. Jessica

February 1, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Do you peel the zucchini or do you grate it with the skin on? Thanks.

64. Rachel

January 28, 2011 at 10:39 pm

how much applesauce for 1/3 cup veg oil?

and, can i use only wheat flour, don’t have all purpose flour.

thanks

65. Mary

January 12, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Made these for my 2 kids – one of which i would describe as a anything green-o-phobe. I told them they were “incredible hulk muffins” and he actually did eat them. Thanks for the recipe!

66. misal

January 8, 2011 at 11:53 pm

How do save this recipe in my recipe box, I’m using my iPhone so I don’t see any tab to save it.

January 10, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Our Weelicious App will be finished this week :)

• chelsea

February 2, 2011 at 11:47 pm

yOUR recipies look great!! I cant seem to find your weelicious app though? Is it up yet?

February 4, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Not yet but will be up soon :)

67. alex

December 10, 2010 at 9:30 pm

These are not very sweet, which is great for my lil’ one, but not a big hit with the hubs. Hope the my 1yrold likes them!

68. alex

December 10, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Made 48 mini muffins! Hope they freeze well. How should we go about defrosting them after baking and freezing them?

69. Emily

November 14, 2010 at 9:23 am

Another winning recipe. I’m learning to just go ahead and double your recipes when I’m trying them out so I can have leftovers!

• shana

August 14, 2011 at 8:53 am

I could not agree with you more, making just 1 batch of weelicious muffins at a time, is a crime in this home.

70. Naomi

October 24, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Catherine what would be a gluten free substitute for the whole wheat flour if I used an All-Purpose GF flour?

October 25, 2010 at 2:33 pm

You can use Oat Bran instead of Whole Wheat flour :) Just use the same amounts ;)

• stacy

May 21, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Would spelt flour work the same way???

71. Tanya

October 9, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Could I add raisins to this ?

October 11, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Yes you can :) 1/2 Cup or a 1/3 Cup would be good!

72. Helen

September 1, 2010 at 10:09 am

My entire family LOVED these muffins so much that they disappeared in 1 day!!! My son didn’t care for them but he’s only 15mo so I’m sure he will in a few more months :) Thanks for such an amazing, nutritious recipe!

73. Jennifer

August 19, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Wow! I just made these and they were so good and I didn’t feel too guilty for eating two mini’s. I didn’t have enough honey or agave so had to use both to get to the specified amount. They turned out really yummy. Thank you!

74. Karen

August 13, 2010 at 9:47 am

I made this recipe on Wednesday and it was SO YUMMY!! Thank you for the great recipe!:)

75. Camille

July 19, 2010 at 9:40 am

Can these be made into pancakes? My 20 month old is rejecting them, but I think it’s the presentation.

July 19, 2010 at 3:21 pm

hmm sounds interesting! I haven’t tried making them into pancakes but I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt to give them a try! Let me know how they turn out if you do. I would make the pancakes too thick though just in case they don’t cook through.

76. Jenn

July 18, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Just wondering if this is a freezable after baking one? have you tried to?
    I try to bake ahead, and made these today- she loved them! but have way too many for a one year old!

July 19, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I freeze half the batch before I bake them so they are good to go the next time, I just pop them straight in the oven! :)

• Morgan

July 29, 2010 at 7:48 am

I wanted to know how you freeze them before you bake them. Do you freeze them in the pan or just the batter and then thaw and bake? Thanks!!

July 29, 2010 at 2:00 pm

These can be frozen after you bake them and cool. Just put them in a ziploc bag, label and freeze.

77. Erin

July 13, 2010 at 11:38 am

If I decide to use sugar (gasp, I know! :) ) – what is a useful formula to use to replace the agave? Not looking to make the recipes sweet – just looking to use ingredients I have on hand….Thanks.

July 13, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Do you have honey? You can use that :) or even maple syrup.

• Erin

July 14, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Definitely – should I use an equal amount of honey (or syrup) as agave? Or is agave sweeter?

July 15, 2010 at 2:58 pm

You can use the honey instead of the agave – equal amounts. Either come out great!

78. Jennifer D

July 5, 2010 at 11:04 pm

These worked out well, according to my 2 year old girl and her daddy who gobbled them up. Easy, fast recipe and fun to do together. I cut the zuchini into bits which worked well.

79. Amy

July 4, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Catherine, I tried making them with the flaxseed as an egg replacer and…they turned out awesome!! :) Wholesome, delicious, and filling. Great recipe!

July 6, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Awesome!!!! I’m so happy they came out great!

80. Janelle

June 29, 2010 at 7:15 pm

I just made these and they are awesome! We all love them! I was out of whole wheat flour so I used an organic 9 whole grain pancake mix instead, I also used applesauce in place of the oil and about 2 1/2 cups of zucchini. Threw in a few walnuts and they are a major hit! Thanks!!!

81. anna

June 18, 2010 at 3:47 pm

oh – one more thing – i love zucchini bread, but really don’t make it b/c it has SO much sugar to make up for that zucchini taste – I was so excited to see these which use agave nectar instead! thanks!

82. anna

June 18, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I can’t even count how many times we’ve made these. My son (21 mos) loves to make these with me. They are fast, simple and so delicious! All the proportions turned out just right for us. Makes about 24 of our mini muffins (some muffin tins might be smaller or larger for those who are getting different quantities). Thanks for all the wonderful ideas, I just love your site. Keep them coming!

83. Amy

June 18, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Can you sub. the eggs for applesauce? We have an egg allergy.

June 21, 2010 at 2:04 pm

The apple sauce is usually used as a sub for oil, if you add 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds to 3 tablespoons water (or other liquid)- Stir together until thick and gelatinous. . They act the same as the egg would. I have not tried it though so you would have to tell me how they turn out! :)

84. Jennifer

June 4, 2010 at 11:26 am

These were delicious and moist, but I had to add rice milk because my batter was so thick that it was not stirrable. Then I ended up with 36 mini muffins. Not that I’m complaining; more is better! :)

85. SY

May 27, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I don’t have wheat flour, can I use just all purpose flour?

June 1, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Sure!

• Jully

February 4, 2014 at 3:53 am

You my friend are a geinus! Alas, I don’t have an ice cream maker But there is a froyo store near me, so I guess I will just have to get some there oh darn hehe

86. orchide

March 17, 2010 at 8:59 am

Is this the right amount of salt? I made these last night and they were quite savory…just checking:)

May 4, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Yes it is, did you put the agave in it? You can substitute it for honey or maple syrup as well.

87. Erin

March 16, 2010 at 4:39 pm

where can I buy agave nectar?

Thanks so much!

May 4, 2010 at 2:21 pm

You can buy agave from any health foods store such as Trader Jo’s or Whole Foods, you can also substitute it with honey or maple syrup too!

88. Lisa

March 11, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Great recipe. My 20 mo old LOVED these.