My mother used to make the most delicious zucchini bread. Whenever friends were coming over to our house or she needed a culinary gift, it was one of the most popular recipes in her repertoire. It's amazing to me that a bread starring a vegetable (technically, zucchini is a fruit, but try convincing your kids of that fact) was so appealing to a kid like myself, but it was. So, if you have a little one who is normally zucchini averse, this bread may turn them around on it for good.
I don't know why so many people have emailed me recently asking for a healthy zucchini bread recipe, but I'm happy to oblige with a weelicious version. There are a lot of zucchini bread recipes out there loaded with white or brown sugar, so I decided to make mine using agave nectar instead. I also opted to bake them in muffin cups instead of a loaf shape so it's more kid friendly. Zucchini is a good supplier of potassium and vitamin A and it has a consistency that makes for a deliciously moist bread. When I made a batch for breakfast last week, Kenya turned into a muffin eating machine. It was then that I realized that it wasn't important if zucchini was a fruit or a vegetable. To him, it was simply delicious.
Zucchini Muffins (12 Muffins or 24 Mini Muffins)
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs, whisked
- 1 Tsp vanilla
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 2/3 Cup Honey or Agave Nectar
- 1 1/2 Cups Zucchini, shredded (about 2 small zucchini)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
3. Place the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk to combine.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir just until the ingredients are combined.
5. Pour the zucchini mixture into large or small muffins cups (I like to use a small ice cream scooper to make spooning into the muffin cups easier).
6. Bake 15 minutes for small muffins and 20 minutes for large ones.
7. Cool and serve.