Avocado

Every week at our local farmer's market, without fail our favorite avocado farmers split an avocado, drizzle each half with lime juice, add a pinch of salt and give them to Kenya and Chloe to eat in their stroller. Five minutes later, all that's left are the paper plates and the avocado shells. This ritual has been going on for over two years and I think it's the most satisfying and complete meal either of my kids have all week. It's always the simple pleasures in life that make us the happiest, and since weelicious is all about fast, fresh and easy, what could be a better recipe to post today than just....avocado.

I'm not exactly sure how many avocados my family goes through each week, but suffice to say it's a lot. We use them in tons of recipes like guacamole, (yes, shakes!), sandwiches, dips, quesadillas, sushi, salads and more. Avocados are a superfood that should be an essential addition to your kid's diet as they provide nearly 20 essential nutrients, including fiber, potassium, Vitamin E, B-Vitamins and folic acid. They're also one of the best sources of monounsaturated fats of any food. And don't forget, avocado is actually a fruit and its creamy, smooth texture and mild taste not only make it a perfect ingredient for both sweet and savory dishes but are also food qualities kids tend to love.

No matter how you decide to eat your avocado, one thing I can assure you of is that you'll be happy!

Avocado Tip: If you want to know how to pick and when serve avocados, check out these two links that feature great tips:
How to pick a ripe avocado
How to pick ripe avocados

Avocado  (Serves 2)

Yes. That's it. Just avocado. And no, I'm not being lazy with today's recipe! Let me explain: Every week at our local farmer's market, without fail our favorite avocado farmers split an avocado, drizzle each half with lime juice, add a pinch of salt...

• 1 avocado
  • 1 small lemon or lime
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

1. 1. Using a sharp knife, cut the avocado lengthwise around the seed.
  2. 2. Hold the knife in one hand and the avocado half in the other and gently tap the knife into the pit with just enough force that the blade of the knife goes into the avocado pit.
  3. 3. Gently twist the knife until the pit comes out.
  4. * At this point I like to cut through the avocado into a checkerboard pattern like the picture above, but you can also leave it as is.
  5. 4. Squeeze a bit of the lemon juice onto the avocado halves and sprinkle with a bit of salt.
  6. 5. Serve with a spoon.
Avocado

Comments

1. Pingback: Pregnancy Awareness » » We All Scream for Avocados!

2. Rebecca Selway

September 22, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Got a tip from UTube. If u cut a avocado and only use half. Put the other half in a custard cup on top of cut up red onions. It helps so it doesn’t turn brown.. I fix it for my twin grandsons in am then give them the other half at lunch.

3. Dena

August 23, 2012 at 10:44 pm

In the Vietnamese culture, we make them into a shake. Add milk, avocado, and sugar into a cup. Take a spoon and mush into small chunks (if you want it blended well, throw it in the blender). Then, add some crushed ice.

If you are lazy, cut the avocado in half, pit it, sprinkle some sugar on each halves. Spoon it to eat. :)

4. lou

March 4, 2012 at 10:54 am

in UK we are specifically told NOT to add any salt whatsoever to any of our babies recipes and to use low salt boullion, the few american webistes i have been on all add salt to recipes, do you guys have different guidelines?

5. Kristy

November 12, 2011 at 2:19 pm

My son LOVES avocado. We mix about 1/4 of an avocado with half a banana, and he eats the whole thing and clamors for more. He’s only 8 months old now. We’ve been feeding him banana-cado since he started solids. He’s a skinny little guy (10% for weight @6 months, 50% for height) and we fed him that twice a day (in addition to nursing and formula and other fruits and veggies and good stuff) and he’s packing on the pounds. Made it all the way to 15%ile in a month!

6. Rosanna

May 21, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Starting solids tomorrow with my 5 month old – we are going to give him avocado – should I add the lemon/lime juice and salt?

7. zpmom

February 10, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I have made this like 6 times since finding this post 2 weeks ago!!! Love it!!!!

8. Joelle

October 11, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I would love a recipe for an avocado shake?

October 11, 2010 at 2:20 pm

http://weelicious.com/2009/06/17/avocado-shake/ :)

• Ulf

February 3, 2014 at 1:46 am

Chace Crawfords bezaubernd schf6ner Adoniskf6rper, vor allem sein surepsfcdfes Traumbe4uchlein, sein wunderschf6ner Rfccken und seine knackigen, sehr zarten, total leckeren Brfcste sind es einfach wert, immer wieder mal ganz ze4rtlich gestreichelt, liebkost und mit 1000 Kfcssen bedeckt zu werden. Glfccklich die Me4nner, denen Chace es schenkt, ihn stundenlang so zu verwf6hnen! Dfcrfte ich doch auch einer dieser Glfccklichen sein! Ich sehne mich so sehr danach.Mein geliebter Chace, Dir von Herzen alles Gute! Mf6ge es Dir gut gehen! Mf6ge Dein Leben gelingen! Und mf6gest Du zufrieden, froh und glfccklich werden!Marcel

9. Aimee

July 29, 2010 at 9:37 am

I bought an avocado the other day for my kids because I heard how healthy they are. I cut it all up and put it in the fridge to have as a fast snack throughout the week. However, when I pulled the container out a few days later there were brown spots all over the avocado. Does this mean it was bad (I threw it away because I wasn’t sure) or is that just a result of oxygen hitting the flesh, like what happens to apples or bananas when they are cut. If so, do you have any suggestions for keeping them cut without the brown spots appearing?

July 29, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Avocados react the same way as bananas and apples. So its better to not cut it up but if you do just put some lemon juice on it to avoid the browning. :)

10. Dannie

June 19, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I love avocados with a little salt and some black pepper. They taste great with a breakfast of scrambled eggs and tomatoes.

11. Amy

June 12, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I had never thought of eating avacado this way. Hubby loves them, but can do with the fat.

I’ll try some of these suggestions with my kiddos, though.

12. Leslie

June 3, 2010 at 10:14 pm

So wait, do you use lemon or limes? Your picture and description says lime but the recipe says lemon- does it matter?

June 4, 2010 at 2:41 pm

It doesn’t matter at all, you can use limes or lemons, either one is fine :)

13. namoweno

June 2, 2010 at 2:58 am

I’m so glad you made this a post! Ever since my daughter could eat solids we gave her avocado, and till this day (she’s now 16 months old) it’s the one thing I can always count on! She devours them! I slice it around the center, keep it together and take along a spoon! It’s the easiest, yummiest, cleanest, healthiest, fastest snack ever!

She’s my little CADO!

14. Maranda

May 28, 2010 at 6:07 pm

We also go through a TON of avocados. I’ve never tried them with salt and lemon before, we’ll have to give that a try. We eat them on sandwiches and salads, etc. and they also make a great dip, mashes coarsely with a few tablespoons of salsa. Very quick and easy.

My kids are all on the lighter side and avocados are a great way to get calories and nutrition into the. Love them!

15. Elita @ Blacktating

May 26, 2010 at 1:39 pm

My toddler son never got into avocado, but we love them and eat them every week. I love Ina Garten’s recipe for Guacamole salad. It’s basically a can of beans, a yellow pepper, a pint of grape tomatoes, half a red onion all chopped up together with two avocadoes and lightly dressed with a homemade lime vinaigrette. You can also make a quick and easy avocado salad by chopping up an avocado and a tomato, sprinkle salt, and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Delicious as a side for any meal!

16. Leanne

May 26, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Our son LOVES them. We skip the lemon juice or salt though and just give him chunks of it on his tray. He’s been chowing down on them since he was around 8ish months. Before then he really wasn’t interested/didn’t like the texture.

He’s almost a year now and wants to feed himself everything which is making meals a little harder since some things are better eaten from a spoon. Sometimes he won’t eat at all unless he can feed himself… so we’ve resorted to a lot more avocados. This morning he had half of one for breakfast along with some cheerios and milk.

17. catherine

May 26, 2010 at 10:47 am

The avocado pudding sounds yummy! You can also add some cocoa powder, tofu and a little milk to avocado to make another type of pudding.
    Rachel, Have you tried mixing it with cream cheese and spreading it on a sandwich? Placing it in a quesadilla with chicken and cheese?

18. mbjb

May 26, 2010 at 10:06 am

In Brazil it is common to eat avocados as a fruit/dessert. Along those lines, a couple more easy (if not completely obvious) options:
    1. Same as the recipe above (avocado, lime) but sprinkled with sugar instead of salt.
    2. Avocado pudin: avocado, milk or cream, lime juice, and sugar in a blender. You can skip the milk/cream and pretty much add each ingredient to taste. Just serve immediatelly so it doesn’t turn brown.

19. Rachel

May 26, 2010 at 7:52 am

I wish my almost 3 year old would like avocado. The only way I can get him to eat it is in a smoothie. Any suggestions would be welcome.

20. Gwen

May 26, 2010 at 6:14 am

I think it was a perfect choice! Just last night at dinner, my 8 year old son was digging his way through his salad (that I topped with your recipe for ranch dressing) and complained that he could not find the avacado. How come I didn’t get any? In my stunned state I told him we were out of avacados and he huffed and started to eat his salad anyway. HA! I had no idea he liked them THAT much :) .