Pizza Muffins

PIZZA!!!! That's the only word I tend to hear these days whenever I ask my husband and Kenya what they want for dinner. Our newest Sunday night tradition has become making homemade pizzas together as a family and it's so much fun. One of Kenya's favorite parts is getting to choose the toppings for his side of the pie. We've even found that foods he normally won't eat on their own, become totally appealing to him when tossed on his pizza.

A few Sundays ago when we were making some delicious thin crusted creations, Chloe was on the kitchen floor playing with one of the muffin tins and it gave me a genius idea: Pizza Muffins! Why, you may ask? Why not! Pizza is crunchy, cheesy, delicious, totally kid-friendly and when it's cooked in the shape of a muffin, it just adds a cool twist to the same old slice that you're used to. When I told my husband about my inspiration for this recipe, the first thing he said was, "thank goodness Chloe wasn't playing with a jello mold when you thought this one up".

Pizza Muffins  (Makes 16-18 Cups)

1. 1. Bring dough to room temperature and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. 2. Roll out the dough to a thin 18 x 12 rectangle and cut into squares about 3 x 3 inches.
  3. 3. Grease mini muffin cups and place one square in each cup, making sure that the corners of the dough are sticking out.
  4. 4. Brush edges of dough with olive oil.
  5. 5. Par-bake dough for 8 minutes and take tins out of oven.
  6. 6. Pour 1 tsp of sauce in each cup and evenly distribute the cheese between the cups (you can add toppings now as well).
  7. 7. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
  8. 8. Cool and serve.

Accompaniments: Mushrooms, Ham, Red Peppers, Olives or whatever you and your kids love. The possibilities are endless

Pizza Muffins

Comments

1. Pingback: Easy meal plan for the week | Charmingly ModernCharmingly Modern

2. Pingback: Easy Lunchboxes Review | In a Galaxy Blog

3. Becky

September 19, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I don’t have a kitchen scale. How many pounds of dough does your dough recipe make,, i. e., how many batches of pizza muffins can I get out of one batch of pizza dough?

September 20, 2013 at 5:06 pm

It makes about 1 1/2 pounds of dough! So it will make about 2 dozen pizza muffins! You might need to increase the other ingredients if you’re going to be using the full recipe of dough. :)

4. JB

September 6, 2013 at 11:51 am

I think this will be a huge winner in my household. My husband is the picky eater (at least, for now, son is only 1yo), but he love pepperoni & bacon pizza, pepperoni pizza rolls, pretty much any pizza product as long as it has pepperoni. Plus this will be so fun for my son to eat! :)

5. Jen

June 21, 2013 at 12:17 pm

These look great! My son would have fun helping to make these.

6. Na

June 1, 2013 at 7:51 am

I love pizza muffin so much

7. Pingback: 100 Best Super Bowl Party Recipes | the little kitchen

8. Pingback: Pizza Muffins | What2Cook

9. Pingback: Pizza Muffins « Kids in the Sink

10. Amber

January 18, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I made these for a play date today and they were a hit! Thanks for another great recipe!!

11. Netgear N600

January 17, 2012 at 2:14 am

Many thanks for these guidelines! Its usually tricky locating in addition dimensions fashion which is actually inexpensive as well as complementing With online shopping I do not have to worry about trying to find several hours in stores and looking millions of things on…

12. snance

May 9, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Awesome recipe! My sometimes picky toddler loved it too! Thank you thank you!

13. tenika

May 5, 2011 at 2:05 am

i have an assigment to make a pizza muffin but it has to appeal to kids around the age of 14 aswell as look like some kind of muffin and it has to go good with a salad. can any one help?

• Diana

February 4, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Gather your family in the kihetcn this weekend for some good old-fashioned fun! Use this yummy Blueberry Muffin recipe to teach your little ones how to bake. Click “Download Recipe” for a printable recipe card you can keep in your recipe box. Posted on February 10, 2012 by !function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=”//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js”;fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,”script”,”twitter-wjs”);

14. Julie

April 29, 2011 at 8:18 am

I am going to try this with Trader Joe’s pizza dough! This would be a good way for us to keep our dairy-eating and non-dairy-eating family members safe and happy. :)

April 29, 2011 at 2:46 pm

We use TJ’s pizza dough all the time!

15. MC

March 30, 2011 at 1:22 pm

So delicious! Instead of cooking the dough first, I filled them and baked for about 12 minutes. Came out perfect. Our favorite filling is chicken, red onions, and our favorite BBQ sauce (dinosaur bbq sauce), topped with fresh mozzarella :)

16. Tammy

September 12, 2010 at 11:54 am

These are great – I also make them with thin slices of whole wheat or multigrain bread pushed down into the muffin trays – always a hit!

17. Jewel

September 2, 2010 at 2:56 pm

We just made these and they were so much fun. They would be a great appetizer too! My little one loved them. I made the dough pieces 5×5 the 3×3 size didn’t stick out the sides. Thanks for a great recipe!!

• Milica

February 2, 2014 at 2:48 am

Your favorite falmiy time sounds like mine too! Food and money what could be better? It is so important to have falmiy time each week and gives the kids something to look forward to.

18. Andi

August 11, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I don’t have mini muffin pans…so I think I’ll add meat and veggies and make in a regular muffin pan. Little man will eat veggies in pizza form, I’m just tired of presenting it the same way all the time. Thanks!! I am trying all new recipes this week…all from this site!

19. Caitlyn

August 10, 2010 at 11:26 am

My mom made something similar to this when I was little except she used canned biscuits for the dough.

20. Meg

July 30, 2010 at 8:31 am

can these be frozen? i love that so many of these ideas I can make in batches and freeze for easy distribution on daycare days!

July 30, 2010 at 1:59 pm

hmm I have never frozen them but if you do, I think you would have to shape them in the tins and freeze – (without adding the sauce and cheese) when you are ready, let them come to room temp and bake them according to the directions. You would either have to store them with the muffin tins to take them out and place them back in when you are ready to bake. Let me know how you do it!

21. Order Up!!!

July 27, 2010 at 6:24 pm

So I made these and am not sure if I was to use regular size muffin tins or mini?
    My 3×3 squares didn’t top over?
    Otherwise came out lookin pretty good – tasted awesome
    anyone?

22. Pingback: Alli 'n Son » Blog Archive » Fave Links This Week

23. Pingback: PB Rippey: blogma » Blog Archive » Baking—With A Rolling Pin!…

24. yeni

June 29, 2010 at 7:42 am

wow, these look great! we always have pizza night, usually thursdays. this will be a good change and i’m sure my little guy (and big guy) will love it. i agree that it’s very easy to get the little ones to eat more veggies if they’re covered in delicious gooey cheese and sauce. thanks for another winning recipe!

25. jenni

June 27, 2010 at 9:10 am

we do something like this in my home. although, we use eggroll wrappers for the crust. i love making homemade baked wontons(dont do alot of frying in our house) and one day i tried making our own pizza rolls with egroll skins and the guys loved it. keep up the good work! we love your recipes!

26. Vittoria

June 26, 2010 at 1:12 pm

We made these for lunch today and they were SO yummy! I thawed out some spinach to sneak in them for my not-so-veggie-friendly toddler to eat. Hilarious story…she was on the counter “helping” me make them and spotted the bowl of spinach, tasted a bite, and then proceeded to shovel handfuls of spinach in her mouth! Here I am trying to find creative ways to sneak her spinach and she’s willing to eat it plain!

• Julixes23@hotmail.com

January 30, 2012 at 2:22 pm

OMg-soo cute! My Lo does that with mashed pots. Won’t eat them in her plate but loves them right after I mash them with the blender!

27. Lisa

June 25, 2010 at 2:58 pm

This sounds delish. Do you think I could make these with mini fillo cups? I bought some the other day thinking I was going to use them for an app for a party but changed my mind about what to make & now am trying to think of fun ways to use them…

June 28, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I actually don’t know, my concern would be that the phyllo would be too thin and the sauce and cheese would bleed through. I think you would have to put a good amount of layers of phyllo and par-bake them then add the sauce and cheese. Let me know how they turn out!

28. Jojo

June 25, 2010 at 11:42 am

ohhhh – I tried to make these a couple of weeks ago without the receipe (from your facebook post) and did not prebake the crust…it didn’t turn out all that well. Now I get it! I will try it tonight!