Strawberry Lemonade

Strawberr-Wee Lemonade

Strawberry Lemonade

Every Sunday when we go to our local farmer's market, Kenya fervently looks forward to two things -- a pupusa with tons of cabbage slaw and a big flavored lemonade. It's so incredible for us as parents to watch how monumental this ritual is for him. Many of the central and south American food stands at the LA markets feature huge clear barrels of various naturally flavored lemonades. In addition to the tried and true original lemon version, there is also raspberry, strawberry, watermelon and various other fresh combinations, their gorgeous colors luring anyone who passes by -- as well as Kenya.

As the weather gets hotter, so does our family while we shop the market, and we inevitably find ourselves wilting in the heat every summer weekend. There have already been numerous days these past two months that were so hot, shopping for food became difficult and we all started salivating as we (along with Kenya) looked at those gigantic clear vats of lemonade calling our names. I'm always more then happy to indulge Kenya with this special treat, especially considering how thirsty the rising temperatures makes us this time of year. But I also know these lemonades are made with a good deal of sugar and so when possible, I try to sway Kenya towards a nice tall bottle of water, so we can make homemade strawberr-wee lemonade with our food purchases from the market when we get home.

As soon as the produce is unpacked, Kenya is up at the counter rolling the lemons (one of his favorite kitchen jobs because he knows that's the best way to release the juice). With just a rinse of the berries, a touch of natural sweetener, a quick puree and a brisk stir, our healthy lemonade is ready for us to gulp down and enjoy!

Strawberr-Wee Lemonade  (Serves 4)

• 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries, stemmed & washed
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup agave or honey
  • 2 cups water
  • ice for serving

1. 1. Puree strawberries and honey (or agave) in a blender or food processor until smooth and transfer to a pitcher.
  2. 2. Pour the strawberry mixture, water and lemon juice in a pitcher and stir to combine.
  3. 3. Chill and serve over ice.
Strawberr-Wee Lemonade

Comments

1. Pingback: Classic Mojito |

2. Pingback: Boozy Affogato recipe from Sweet Life

3. Pingback: Sip Your Way Through Summer — Summer Soiree | ShoutYourSite

4. Pingback: Korean Soju Kimbap Bloody Mary • Taste With The Eyes • where the image is meant to titillate and inspire the cook

5. Pingback: Grilled Strawberry Bellini Recipe | Easy Summer Champagne Cocktails

6. Pingback: White Peach Sangria Recipe - Jeanette's Healthy Living

7. Pingback: Raspberry-Ginger Bellini Recipe - The Lemon Bowl

8. Angel

June 17, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Can you replace the honey with maple syrup?

• Catherine McCord

June 18, 2014 at 7:31 am

That will create a different flavor, but yes you can definitely use maple syrup instead of honey!

9. Angel

June 17, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Can you replace the honey with sugar?

10. Pingback: Strawberry Lemonade | Love to be in the Kitchen

11. Piya

January 25, 2014 at 3:48 am

Hi my name is Piya I am 7 years old. I live in Australia.I love your “we want lemonade we want lemenanade” video my gmail is namratapalu@gmail.com.
    I love your video
    From, Piya…………… Bye

12. soniya

August 28, 2013 at 8:48 am

can u give me recipe for 1 gallon lemonade the ratios

August 28, 2013 at 3:42 pm

You would have to make this recipe about 7 or 8 times to make 1 gallon! :)

13. Heather

June 23, 2013 at 7:46 pm

We were out of strawberries so we subbed in frozen black cherries. delish!

14. kolby

January 27, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I Like this

15. Emily

September 24, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Excellent! I used frozen strawberries and honey. Will be making this again for sure….. It would be really fun at a kids party because of it’s beautiful bright colour! My kids loved it – Thanks!

16. Pingback: Well of Health » Seasonal Fruit Friday: The Strawberry

17. Stacy

August 2, 2012 at 7:37 am

Do you know approximately how many lemons it takes to get 1/2c of lemon juice?

August 2, 2012 at 9:57 am

It really depends on the size and juiciness of your lemons, but I would estimate 3.

18. Hillary

July 8, 2012 at 6:59 pm

My husband and our 3 1/2 year old daughters just made this together. It is the *best* lemonade I’ve ever tasted, a little sweet, a little tart and smooth. Thank you!

19. Lucy

May 14, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I love to use frozen strawberries so that it becomes like a delicious, cold, refreshing slushy without all the disgusting dyes, preservatives, and artificial flavors…

20. Pingback: simple syrup recipe for cakes

21. Pingback: Birthday Success « As Life Rolls

22. Melissa

August 3, 2010 at 8:56 am

Just made this for my 3 yo and she loved it! So did I! We made the leftovers into popsicles!

23. Pingback: Stylish Cuisine « Strawberry Lemonade with Agave Nectar

24. nycmama

July 4, 2010 at 8:32 am

please be warned: this recipe contains far too much agave nectar than is considered safe.
    Here is an extract from Dr Mercola:

Just keep your overall fructose usage below 25 grams per day, agave syrup included. One teaspoon of agave syrup has 4 grams of fructose.

This recipe calls for a 1/4 cup agave, which is equal to 12 (yes, 12!) teaspoons, and contains 4 servings. So, each serving contains 3 teaspoons agave, which is equal to 12 grams of fructose (i.e. half your RDA), not to mention the naturally-occurring fructose in the strawberries and lemon.

So, let’s not kid ourselves that using agave nectar as a sweetener is any better than simple refined white sugar- the truth is that it is actually WORSE. Better to use stevia if you are really after a low sugar substitute. Or just less ‘real’ sugar.

• Nancy

July 10, 2010 at 9:19 am

nycmama
      How much do you consider to be a serving anyway? Our youngsters are not drinking all that much so I consider this to be a safe alternative to sugars.

July 6, 2010 at 3:13 pm

NYCMama, thank you for your thoughts. I too have read Dr Mercola’s articles on agave. I’ve done a TON of research, talked to Doctors, chefs, nutritionist, etc..and here’s what I’m recommending and living by with my family. When it comes to sugars, everything in moderation. I wish that agave was a true “get out of jail free card”. Most of the sweet recipes online and in cookbooks use white and brown sugar, so I try to use different sweeteners like agave, rice syrup, honey, etc.. in my recipes to offer a choice. I love agave for it’s neutral flavor, smooth texture and sweet taste. We use agave in our house, but sometimes we want a traditional cookie with sugar or white cupcakes which can’t be made with anything, but white sugar (I made mini cupcakes for Chloe’s birthday yesterday). I tested them with different type of sweeteners, but they just weren’t any good. When I make lemonade, I use agave. It’s just about finding that balance.

One of my chef friends who owns a restaurant that serves 80% of the food from his farm said that there’s a council for everything. The dairy council, the sugar council, meat etc… There are articles saying that agave is the best thing in the world and others that say it’s the worst. This again goes back to balance!

25. Blanca

July 1, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I like that you use all the abundant seasonal fruits and veggies! :)

26. Nancy

July 1, 2010 at 6:26 pm

This tasted so good. Such a refreshing treat for the summer! Cole was more into his milk tonight but Mom and Dad sure enjoyed. I just love that everything is fresh. How great is that!?

27. ghazala

July 1, 2010 at 2:01 pm

looks so refreshing

28. Keltie

July 1, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I just made this and it is so refreshing! I bet it would also make great home-made popsicles.

29. Nancy

July 1, 2010 at 7:41 am

Ohhhhh this looks wonderful. I will be making this for Cole tonight for after dinner coolness. I bet it’s wonderful.

• Hilary