Want a gluten-free, healthy weeknight recipe that's as packed with vibrant Asian flavors as it is a ton of textures? Stir-Fried Chicken in Lettuce Cups is a total family friendly mealtime find. I've been making them for years and am excited to re-share them with you. When you feel like you've been consuming too many carbs, this is a great choice that's still satisfying. It's been in our dinner rotation so long that I realized the images needed a facelift here on the website, so I made them for friday night din din and took all new photos to tempt your tummy. I also love to eat the Stir-Fried Chicken filling straight out of the bowl with a little brown rice on the side, which makes for a simple leftover lunch as well.
To me, so much of the art of getting kids to eat is incorporating as much fun as possible, so that they will be more open to eating foods that normally might be outside of their comfort zone. My kids love eating with their hands, so I try to devise lots of new spins on recipes for things they can hold easily in their little mitts. Burritos, burgers, muffins and even these Stir-Fried Chicken in Lettuce Cups always go over well.
Salad maybe a tough sell for some little ones, but these lettuce cups are kid friendly and a whole new way for them of looking at leafy greens.
They're crunchy, and in combination with the stir-fried chicken with herbs and a slightly sweet sauce it's really something special.
Plus, kids can only eat Stir-Fried Chicken in Lettuce Cups with their hands. How much fun is that?
Stir-Fried Chicken in Lettuce Cups (Serves 4)
- 1/4 Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce, tamari, or liquid aminos
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp Cilantro, minced
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 1 Bell Pepper, red, orange or yellow
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 1 Tsp Ginger, minced
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 8 Bibb or Iceberg Lettuce “Cups”
Preparation1. Combine soy sauce, honey, and cilantro in a bowl and set aside.
2. Using a large saute pan, cook the onion in 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat for 2 minutes.
3. Add the bell pepper and cook an additional 2 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute then add the chicken or turkey to the pan and saute for an additional 7 minutes or until cooked through.
5. Stir in the soy sauce mixture, salt and cook for 2 minute or until juices evaporate.
6. Serve in lettuce cups (to eat then just roll the lettuce around the stir fried chicken and eat them like a burrito).