Fig & Goat Cheese Sammies

I love that Kenya's into eating sandwiches for his school lunch. I also love that figs are in season right now and they are SO naturally sweet and delicious. Figs are really cheap at our local farmers market, so I've been buying tons of them to eat and put in recipes throughout the week. I made a huge batch of fig puree for Kenya and Chloe to put on their yogurt and just to eat plain as a snack, but it's so flavorful I wanted to figure out something else to do with it.

These fig and goat cheese sandwiches are heavenly. The creamy tang of the cheese mixed with the sweet of the figs, all sandwiched between two pieces of whole grain bread, makes for a magical combination and these sandwiches only take minutes to make.

If you were to send your little one off to school with one of these sammies in his lunchbox, I guarantee he'll be the envy of all the other kids.

Fig & Goat Cheese Sammies  (1 Sandwich or 4 Mini Sandwiches)

• 2 3 tablespoons goat cheese
  • 3 tablespoons fig puree
  • 2 slices of bread, preferably whole grain
  • butter (if desired)

1. 1. Spread one slice of bread with goat cheese.
  2. 2. Spread the other slice of bread with fig puree and place the filling sides of the bread together to make a sandwich (lightly spread a bit of butter on the outside of the bread if desired).
  3. 3. Heat a panini press or a sauté pan to medium heat.
  4. 4. Cook for 3-5 minutes (on both sides if using the sauté pan, flipping half way through) or until the cheese melts.
  5. 5. Cool and serve.
Fig & Goat Cheese Sammies

Comments

1. Courtney

April 14, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I just made this for the first time last week and my fig puree didn’t quite come out right. It was more like a paste than the smooth puree you have pictured. Is it just a matter of adding more water? I used black mission figs from Trader Joes.

2. Liz

September 4, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Brie or Havarti would be good with fig purée, especially on a grilled sandwich.

3. Jessica

September 3, 2010 at 5:24 pm

How did you know I was just wondering what to do with the figs we bought! This is perfect! I love how the fig puree is a nice alternative to jelly.

• Muslim

February 5, 2014 at 2:29 am

One can never have too many hazelnuts or too much bread! It’s a bftuaieul crusty loaf, and I love how all the chunky goods look in there. Because you are the German foods queen, I’ve been looking around your blog to try to find something to make for my g entry of E.A.T World. I’m pretty sure it’s going to be your Donauwelle! *drool*

4. RJ

September 2, 2010 at 6:32 pm

I am so glad you posted this! Our fig tree is full of ripe figs and I was looking for kid-friendly ideas! How long will the puree last refridgerated and will it freeze?

• Alba

February 5, 2014 at 1:52 am

Anneli great recipe had the iteiedrgnns and didn’t know what to do and found the chicken, mozzarella and figs I wrapped mine in parma ham. Had leftovers in a sandwich delicious.

September 3, 2010 at 1:56 pm

The puree can last up to a week in the fridge and you can freeze it up for 3 months :)

5. Cyd

September 2, 2010 at 7:27 am

What kind of bread is in the pic? I’m looking for a really yummy wheat bread and that one looks great.

September 2, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I use Ezekiel too. It stays in the fridge for weeks too!!

• Blanca

September 2, 2010 at 12:03 pm

I think she uses Ezekiel bread… not 100% sure.

6. cindy

September 2, 2010 at 7:16 am

This sounds divine!

Perhaps cream cheese would work Rebekah, it would still be creamy and I think would go well with the fig flavor.

7. Rebekah

September 2, 2010 at 6:54 am

That sounds great. Is their another cheese that you’d recommend in place of goat cheese? My husband won’t go near goat cheese, but he’d like the idea of the sandwich.

September 2, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I would def say cream cheese. I love whipped cream cheese, always in my refrigerator!