Graham Crackers

It's not that I make everything our family eats from scratch, but I do try to make as many of the sweet treats my kids eat as possible. I recently realized that Kenya had never eaten a graham cracker before. How is that possible?! Graham crackers are like a total cookie rite of passage for kids! When I was Kenya's age, I think I ate them every day of my life. So, my next recipe challenge was born.

It's not that I'm against pre-packaged cookies or crackers (I've definitely bought a few boxes in the past two years), but it's so much more fun to make them with your kids. I have to say this is one of my favorite new sweet treat recipes, especially when it comes to school lunch. Not only does the recipe make a TON of cookies, but you can cut them out and freeze them to bake as you need them. It takes no time for me to make the dough, roll it out and then let Kenya take over, using mini cookie cutters to pop out the sweetest, crispiest graham crackers I've ever tasted. They reminded me of the ones I used to eat as a kid, but even better!

Graham Crackers  (Makes A LOT, depending on the shape you cut them in)

• 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup butter, chilled & cubed
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup water

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. 2. In a food processor or mixer combine the first 6 ingredients.
  3. 3. Add cubed and chilled butter to the mix and pulse/mix until it resembles coarse meal.
  4. 4. Add honey and water and continue to mix until it all combines.
  5. 5. Remove and shape the dough into a flat disk and place between two pieces of parchment paper.
  6. 6. Roll dough out until 1/4 inch thick. Cut into crackers or shapes.
  7. 7. Place cookies on a Silpat or parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
  8. 8. Cool and serve.
  9. To Freeze: After step 6, place the cut out cookie shapes on a baking sheet and freeze for 20 minutes. Remove, place in a Ziploc bag, label and freeze for up to 4 months. When ready to bake, follow steps 7-8, adding an additional 1-2 minutes baking time.
  10. ** If you have no Whole Wheat, you can use 1 Cup Oat Bran to 2 Cups AP Flour instead of what the recipe calls for and it works perfect!
Graham Crackers

Comments

1. Pingback: How to Stock your Freezer – Including Recipes! | Soul Munchies

2. Pingback: 6/01/2014 | stephaniecameron

3. Pingback: Homemade Graham Crackers | Sweet Little Peanut

4. Aubrey

March 23, 2014 at 11:55 am

Hi. How long do these last? Do you recommend just storing in an air-tight container?

5. Pingback: Guest Post: Amy Adams – Recipes

6. Pingback: Graham Crackers | Love to be in the Kitchen

7. Nikki Jenkins

January 9, 2014 at 8:01 pm

I got this recipe out of your book (which I love) the other day. My sweet little man is only 10 mths so I replaced the honey with maple syrup and they turned out amazing. He loves chewing on them so they work great for teething cookies!

8. Darcie

January 8, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Best Day EVER!! I’m a huge fan of providing healthy meals and snacks for my home daycare kids. I especially LOVE getting them involved in preparing their own healthy foods.
    Thank you THANK YOU for your efforts and support here. We are SO making these graham crackers today after quiet time!!
    Added bonus that I just got a new food processor to add to my Bosch.

9. Kate

December 4, 2013 at 11:27 pm

I forgot the sugar and my 2 yo still loved them. Made 2 shapes for her birthday. Great recipe! And very helpful comments. Will try a food processor next time

10. Leyla

November 19, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Just made these for the firs time – came out perfect! I left out the brown sugar and added a bit more honey for sweetness.

11. Robin

November 15, 2013 at 7:06 pm

My four kids (and my husband and I!) love these! My five year old rolled out the dough and went to town making different shapes out of cookie cutters. They were a hit, thank you for the recipe!

12. nicole

October 19, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Do you think this would work with dates instead of brown sugar? We don’t use it so I never have any at home. Thanks

October 21, 2013 at 11:04 am

Hmmm I think ground up dried dates might work great!

13. Pingback: MARCH breACK! 2013: Spirit Bear S'mores: Honey Graham Cracker Cookie Cut-Outs and Honey Marshmallows From Scratch | THE LUNCHBOX SEASONTHE LUNCHBOX SEASON

14. Pingback: Graham Crackers | Joy Every Day

15. Pingback: 9/1/2013 | stephaniecameron

16. JenniferHietala

August 22, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Is there a dairy free option to make these?

17. April

August 22, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Just wanted to post my experience for others trying to make them gluten free. I used a premixed GF flour– the full 2 1/2 cups. As the dough was coming together, it was still falling apart and I added extra water a tablespoon at a time until it stayed together. I refrigerated the ball of dough about 30 minutes before rolling it out and baked about 17 minutes. My crackers aren’t super crispy (maybe I rolled them too thick?), but they taste delicious and my 3 year old loves them. I froze half and baked half. Need a food processor to speed up the process!, Thanks Catherine!

18. Erin

August 15, 2013 at 11:58 am

Just made these…fantastic! My son starts playschool in 3 weeks and I plan on making another batch for snacks. How long do they last in a container on the counter?

August 16, 2013 at 10:57 am

About 5 days!

19. Pingback: Homemade Graham Crackers

20. Dawna

August 4, 2013 at 8:50 am

These are awesome and so easy. My little girl and I made them together and had a wonderful time.

21. Pingback: A Sweet Graham Treat | Simply Yummy for Jojo's Tummy

22. JaniesMommy

June 29, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I made these tonight and they are wonderful! I don’t have a food processor yet (trying to find a good, yet affordable one) and used a hand mixer and bowl instead, it worked really well, just took more time and made a bigger mess! Thank you!

23. Court845

May 21, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Do you think this dough could be frozen before and/or after baking?

• stephanie s

June 19, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I cut the shapes and freeze before baking, then just pull straight out and bake. The kids love having a yummy healthy snack that is ready in minutes! This is one of our favourite go-to recipes. Thank you Catherine!!!

May 22, 2013 at 11:24 am

I freeze the cookies after baking! They will keep for about 4 months in the freezer!

24. Pingback: Homemade Graham Crackers | Measuring Bliss

25. chrisaxthelm

May 9, 2013 at 2:56 pm

These are amazing! My little guy loves graham crackers, they are his “cookies.” I pinned this recipe and made these when we ran out of the boxed kind. I didn’t have any honey, but they turned out perfect. They were so good in fact, that my husband and I had trouble not eating a ton too. What I really like about making these is that I can cut these to a size I don’t mind giving more that one to my son, and then he thinks he’s getting more. :)

26. Chris B

May 7, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I was wondering if it work to make this graham cracker dough in a standing mixer instead of a food processor? I’ve made your shortcake recipe in my food processor, but I cannot get this one to combine well in my food processor. I have a Kitchen Aid Little Classic….maybe it is too small for this recipe? If a standing mixer would not work, what else could I use to mix up the dough for this recipe?
    Thanks!

May 7, 2013 at 3:53 pm

You could probably do this with just your fingertips. Like when making scones or pie crust. It probably doesn’t work well in the stand mixer because the intent is not to cream the butter. You need to get the butter incorporated into the flour before you add everything else to hold it together!

• Texasmama86

October 2, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I make these in my stand mixer just fine! Tonight I’m going to try and make chocolate ones!

27. Pingback: 4/21/2013 | stephaniecameron

28. Pingback: now I have time | wherever you go

29. Pingback: MARCH breACK! 2013: Spirit Bear S’mores: Honey Graham Cracker Cookie Cut-Outs and Honey Marshmallows From Scratch | THE LUNCHBOX SEASON

30. Stacy

March 7, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I’ve made the graham crackers (from your cookbook) twice now and they are delish!!! BUT….the second time I made them, the dough was way too crumbly and I had to roll it out in small batches to keep it from falling apart. I’m thinking the butter was too cold. What exactly do you mean when you say the chilled butter? I used it right out of the fridge. Please help :)

March 7, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Chilled butter is exactly that! Butter straight from the fridge! I usually chop it and then put it back in the fridge for a few minutes! Doughs are tricky because the consistency is totally determined by the humidity in your kitchen. If you have the oven running, if its summer or winter or if its raining the humidity inside will be different. If it is too crumbly next time just add a touch of cold water (working in 1 tablespoon increments). If it is too wet add a touch more flour! :)

• Stacy

March 12, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Thanks for the reply! Humidity…who knew ;)

31. Pingback: Spread a little love » Erika Tracy Design

32. Kate

February 3, 2013 at 4:49 pm

We LOVE both these and the chocolate grahams. Thanks for the fun and delicious recipes!!! Have you tried the dough in a cookie press? I’m thinking to do sticks like cheese straws rather than the spritzer cookie look. Trying to take a more nutritious snack for preschool ; )

February 4, 2013 at 11:18 am

I haven’t tried this dough in a cookie press. Hmmm good idea! I wonder if it’s too thick, though. This dough is so easy to work with I would say just cut it into sticks by hand! Maybe roll it a tiny bit thicker.

• Kate

February 12, 2013 at 1:16 pm

So far, the recipe works beautifully with a cookie press! It’s a sturdy (and inexpensive) press. I’m in Mississippi, so the humidity plus an extra tbsp of water makes the dough a little softer. Still bake up crunchy and delicious!!! The bar form works best so far for graham “biscuits.” I love cookie cutters, but I’m a notoriously messy baker.

33. Pingback: Thankful for Grace [Real Food]

34. Pingback: Butterfly Grahams « Life Tastes Good

35. Annie

November 9, 2012 at 1:23 pm

They are delicious! However i found the dough to be really sticky and tacky….i needed an extra cup of flour just for rolling..is that normal? Love your blog thanks!!!

November 9, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Strange. My dough never comes out like that. Although, if you live in a more humid or moist climate that will have an effect on your doughs and baking!

36. Elly

November 5, 2012 at 11:57 pm

My 2 1/2 year old son and I made these amazing cooking today. Not only was it fun and easy to make with him, but they are absolutely addicting!!! We both couldn’t stop eating them. I had to hide it in the pantry to try to forget about them!!!! :) thanks again for your amazing work. Loving the book too.

37. Annie

November 4, 2012 at 4:52 pm

found you on pinterest. so glad i did!!

my little man is eating quite a bit and we want to cut back on eating processed foods. these graham crackers look delicious! thanks so much!

38. Annie

November 4, 2012 at 4:50 pm

found you on pinterest. So glad i did!!

have my little man now eating quite a bit and want to start eating less processed foods. thanks so much for your amazing recipes. these graham crackers look great!

39. Kristin

November 4, 2012 at 12:44 pm

We are a gluten free family. I made these using 2 1/2 cups of Bob;s All purpose gf baking flour. I couldn’t roll them out because the dough was too sticky, but I spooned teaspoon fulls onto the baking mat. Then I used the back of the spoon to make sure that the dough was 1/4″ thick. They were amazing! We used them for s’mores and even our non GF friends told me that they were the best graham crackers they had ever had. Thanks so much for this recipe!

40. Pingback: Graham Crackers | morepeasplease.com

41. Trish

September 21, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Can I use all wheat flour? I rarely ever buy AP flour anymore. I would LOVE to try this recipe if I can make it without :)

42. Pingback: How to Host a S'mores Party | Daisy At Home

43. 1gbmommy

September 19, 2012 at 2:47 pm

LOVE THESE! Our 2 yr old helped cut these out. All the kids loved them even my hubby & I. Next time I’m going to roll out a little bit thinner to get a more cracker like crunch. Ours turned out a little cakey like but I think it’s because I rolled out too thick….however still delicious! :)

44. Pingback: Fig newtons: the best ones don’t come from a box | Buy Online Shop Now

45. Pingback: Fig newtons: the best ones don’t come from a box | My Family Blog

46. Pingback: Quick, Healthy Back-to-School Food Ideas & Tips for Moms | genConnect

47. Pingback: Clean Eats roundup | Lil Runner

48. Pingback: The essential school lunch guide | My Family Blog

49. Ruth

July 30, 2012 at 8:00 am

these were amazing! I used graham flour instead of wheat, but no other changes. I was surprised how fast and easy they were to make, and how nicely the dough rolled out! We made train shapes, and the 5-yr old ate 8-9 crackers over the first day. Based on just how quick and easy (and fun) these were to make, I doubt I will ever buy boxed graham crackers again.

50. catherine

June 11, 2012 at 3:37 pm

That is so awesome! :)

51. Jade C.

June 8, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Hi There! Found your website and recipe through a Pinterest search…I gathered all my ingredients this afternoon for a cheesecake and realized I was completely out of graham crackers! Ugh! So, I used your recipe to make one fabulous crust! I just prepared it as directed in your post and pressed the dough in my 9 inch pan. After a little baking (about 15 minutes), I simply poured the cheesecake batter over it…and viola! It turned out great! Thank you!

52. Amy

May 21, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Thanks for this recipe! My son goes to a Montessori school and cannot have processed sugar in his lunch. It is a healthy habit but makes me struggle to find sweet treats for my buddy. I used his dinosaur sandwich cutter to make Graham dinosaurs. He is 4 and loves this recipe!

53. Pingback: show goat

54. Alisa Donner

March 31, 2012 at 5:19 pm

These were super easy! I used Easter cookie cut outs. And we r taking them on our kindergarten camping trip to use in s’mores. So excited. The only hard thing for me was how to roll the dough in btw the parchment paper. Catherine u should do a how to on that!!! Xx Alisa. (co-founder of PAM).

55. Pingback: Counting Calories To Lose Weight

56. Pingback: Recipe: Graham Crackers « Life As Mom Knows It

57. michal w

February 5, 2012 at 11:48 am

Hm… I just made these but the ingredients didn’t form into a dough. It was much too crumbly. I ended up pressing it into a 9 x 13 pan. What did i do wrong?

February 6, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Without being there I can’t be certain. Make sure the butter mixture becomes a coarse meal. Like pea-sized or smaller pieces. You may need to also pulse the honey and water into the dough for a longer time. I hope this helps!

• michal w

February 7, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Thank you. I’ll try that next time. Btw, I love your recipes and I share this website with everyone!

58. Tamara

January 24, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I have made these several times in the past year, every time with metal cookie cutters. I just bought a cheapie set of plastic hearts for Valentine’s Day and they were a MILLION times easier! The metal ones I had to punch out each individual cookie. With the plastic one I was able to press down and not have the cookie get stuck in the cutter. I just cut a ton of them and then pulled away the extra dough around the cookie. I can’t believe how much time I’ve wasted in the past.

59. Pingback: recycle

60. Jessica

January 3, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I made these last night and my daughter LOVES them…so much so that we took some for a play date today and after eating 3 she was attempting to take her friends graham cracker (14 months…still working on sharing!). I used light brown sugar and used small cookie cutters (pampered chef has a great set for cheap) and the recipe made 60….so plenty in freezer. Hooray!

Thank you so much for this site. I have increased my cooking and confidence so much since having a child and finding this site!!

61. April

December 22, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I discovered this amazing recipe over a year ago. My son and the twins I was watching at the time all absolutely LOVED them! I made a few right after mixing the batch together and then cut out and froze the rest. I think the secret is the chilled butter because the ones I made right away turned out more cookie like but when I made some of the ones I froze, they came out perfect! Thanks for such a great recipe! I’m making them for my son to take to school for their christmas party. I’m sure they’ll be a hit. Oh and his room has an egg allergy so it’s perfect that these don’t need eggs.

62. Felicia

December 12, 2011 at 10:53 am

Is there any nutritional information on this recipe? I.e. sugar, fat content etc. would love to make these at my son’s school but they must comply to certain nutritional standards and I must prove they do.

thanks!

63. Jodi

November 10, 2011 at 9:29 am

Salted or unsalted butter?

64. Stephanie

November 4, 2011 at 12:31 pm

My family love love loves these, but I just realised that under 12 months aren’t apparently supposed to have honey even in baked goods. I’ve given these to my daughter (9months) and she adores them, but realising the honey thing now I want to minimize the exposure. What can be used in place of honey? Maple Syrup? Agave? Any suggestions?

Thank you so much. We try to keep these in the freezer at all times for a nice family snack – my 4 year old loves them too.

65. Avigayil

October 24, 2011 at 1:41 pm

can I use oil instead of butter?

66. Pam

October 11, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Thanks for this recipe! My 2 1/2 year old helped me make them and she loved cutting out the shapes. She also loved eating the dough :-)

67. Kate

September 7, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Thanks for the recipe! Id like to try these, but all I have is AP flour on hand. What happens if I use just that? Do I need to add more or less when substituting for the whole wheat?

Thanks!

68. Jessica

September 2, 2011 at 6:48 pm

How do you store these?

69. Sarah R

August 31, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Just found your site and our very first recipe we tried was the graham crackers! They are so tasty and my two year old loves them and had so much fun helping my hubby and I bake these. We made these during family time and had a blast! Look forward to making more of your recipes! Have a great day,
    Sarah

70. Pingback: DIY Projects for The Average Parent

71. Pingback: The Average Parent » A Year’s Worth of DIY Projects for The Average Parent

72. Pingback: Make these! | And Baby Makes Eight

73. Nadine

June 25, 2011 at 6:54 am

Will this recipe work with Spelt flour? Just wondering…

74. ekang

June 8, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Hi! I’ve tried these crackers and everyone loves them!
    I was wondering if there was any way to cut the refined sugar (brown sugar) and use a substitute?

75. Erica

June 8, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Can I substitue Whole Wheat Graham Flour for Whole Wheat Flour?

June 8, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Sure :) let me know how they are!

76. Jennifer

June 8, 2011 at 10:51 am

Made today. Catherine – when you say whole wheat flour in your recipes, are you purchasing it from the store?
    We grind our own. There are different kinds of wheat. Soft white wheat can pretty much replace all purpose flour in any recipe. I have tried it on several of yours, including this one and they turn out great. Grinding your own flour is supposed to maintain the vitamins, protein and fiber naturally in the wheat.
    I think the problem some had with not being able to roll it out may be b/c they didn’t roll it between parchment like you said to. I tried with and without the parchment and w/o it was too sticky. They turned out great. The only thing I did different was to halve the recipe b/c my food processor is too small and replaced all the flour with soft white whole wheat flour. They were crunchy and we added some cinnamon sugar to the tops of some. Thank you!!!

77. Brit Chambers

June 1, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Do you think you could use a Gluten Free flour mix with these? I might just try it!

78. Stephanie

May 30, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Is there any alternative to brown sugar and butter? We don’t eat sugar or dairy.

• AA

November 15, 2011 at 12:31 am

You dont eat sugar? Why are you baking cookies???!! Do you avoid gluten, and corn, and white potatoes, and soy and everything else normal too?

79. Catherine

May 20, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I made these today with the assistance of my almost 2 yr old. He LOVED the part where he could eat the batter once it was rolled out. He couldn’t get enough of it. Once I baked them he ate even more (along with my husband). I baked these for 10 min and they were more of a softer texture but if I rolled it thinner I bet they would be crispy. Either would be fine with my son :-)

80. Melissa

May 14, 2011 at 10:29 am

Hello! I have a 14 month old and wanted to make these for him. He loves graham crackers. Can I use Agave instead of honey? Wasn’t sure if he could have honey yet.

• Whitney

May 16, 2011 at 10:01 am

Honey should be safe for children over 12 months. Unless your 14 month old has other health issues, local honey would be better than agave.

81. Pingback: Easter 2011 « The adventures unfold…

82. susie

May 2, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I just made them and I don’t know what I did wrong but they were an epic fail! LOL :( they were so dry and hard.. i have no idea because I can make cookies normally :(

May 2, 2011 at 6:34 pm

hmm, well they are supposed to be like crackers and crispy. Did you follow the recipe to a t?

83. Pingback: Share the Love: Weelicious Mom Conjures Up Tasty Recipes for All Ages « Real Moms Love To Eat

84. Erika

April 12, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Delicious taste but mine were way too sticky too! I refridgerated the dough in hopes that it would help but it was still too sticky for cookie cutters. In the end I rolled them by hand into little “sausages” then patted them down to rectangles. The puffed so much while backing that I may as well had made them as drop cookies. They taste great – I followed the recipe to a T – but my result was very different than the cracker I was hoping for. Graham Cookies would be a better description.

85. Katie Trumbauer

April 4, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Have you ever used this recipe to make a pie crust. I was thinking it might be neat to fill with pumpkin pie filling, etc… I don’t know too much about cooking so I don’t know if that would work…

April 4, 2011 at 6:28 pm

no, but sounds like a great idea!

86. anah

March 23, 2011 at 6:06 pm

yummmmmmm…just made these! i halved the recipe (almost out of flour) and used light brown sugar. i have huge cookie cutters and was able to get 16 cookies out of the batch! thanks for the recipe Catherine :)

87. Pingback: Animal Graham Crackers | Fruitcake Kitchen

88. Rhonda

February 20, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I have been waiting awhile to try these out. I was waiting for my youngest son to turn one. But I could just not wait any longer! So instead of Honey I used Brown Rice Syrup. I also do not own a food processor, so I used my Magic Bullet and divided the dry mixture into 3 batches. Then again with the butter in 3 batches. A little time consuming that way but they turned out so wonderful!!! It was really worth the extra effort.

89. morahblumie

February 6, 2011 at 10:45 pm

anything i can use in place of butter (or margarine) that will give the same result? im not a big fan of butter.

February 7, 2011 at 3:27 pm

You really need the butter or margerine because they allow the crackers to be flaky and crisp. You can try to use crisco shortening. Let me know how they turn out!

90. PattiR

January 17, 2011 at 9:24 am

AWESOME-AWESOME-AWESOME! When these were baking in the oven, my husband and both kids were glued to the oven waiting for them to be done. This will definitely be in my regular routine.

91. Sara

January 5, 2011 at 3:26 pm

These are pretty good, I think next time I will top them with a little bit of honey and hopefully I will have an actual food processor next time, because I tried to do it in a blender and it did not work at all. I did everything by hand but they still turned out great.

92. Katie

January 3, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Can I use light brown sugar… that’s what I have on hand and don’t want to make a special trip to the store. thanks!
    Katie

93. Pingback: Graham Crackers | Eat, Drink and Be Family

94. Jessica

December 10, 2010 at 3:43 am

Yum! I just made these to bring to a moms’ group cookie exchange with lots of kids. They turned out really well! They don’t taste super sweet like store-bought, but they are sweet from the honey and brown sugar. When I took them out after 15 min, they were still a little soft, but appeared done. Within a few minutes on the cooling rack, they became more hard–still not crunchy (yet!) I used mini cookie cutters and like this method the best, especially if these are meant for children. The bears and giraffes turned out best. I found a set of Noah’s ark cookie cutters at a craft store. This made 2 large cookie sheets of cookies, plus some leftover dough that I cut and froze as Catherine suggested. When they were in the oven, they do puff up a bit, so be sure to leave some room for that. Next time I will try with Earth Balance! Thanks, Catherine!

95. Jana

December 7, 2010 at 3:19 am

Thanks for the recipe! I’ve been wanting to make this for my 18 month old son. We moved to the Middle East about a month ago and can’t find all purpose flour. They have all purpose wheat flour. Is this the same? If not, what can I use as a substitute? Happy Holidays!

December 7, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Is there any other flour there?

96. Teice

November 17, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Love this recipe!! I made it for my play group and we ran out because they were such a hit. This is the second recipe from here I tried out on this group of kids and they are loving it (so are their parents).

97. Pingback: I made crackers!! - WeUseCoupons.com

98. Jen

October 26, 2010 at 8:16 pm

I just made these for my daughter to take to preschool for her fall party. I used 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour and added about 1/2 cup of pumpkin. They taste amazing! They are not crunchy like box crackers but I don’t know if that’s from the pumpkin or from not rolling them out thin enough. Either way, they will surely be made again! YUM!

99. Jennifer

October 22, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Just made these. They taste great but I could not cut them with a cookie cutter. The dough was like peanut butter. Maybe I overprocessed the butter in the kitchen aid. In any case, I rolled them into balls then flattened them with a floured cup.

• Stacey

January 8, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Jennifer, I am having the same trouble as we speak…with a kitchen aide mixer. I was afraid to leave chunks of butter, I thought they may get too greasy. I think next time I will mix it half the time.

100. Erica

October 21, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Do you just store these on the counter in a air tight container? Or do they need to be in the fridge? Also could you freeze them after you bake them???

101. Cina

October 21, 2010 at 11:28 am

Such a great, and easy, recipe! Everyone in the family loves them! 14 month old boys, me, hubby, brother-in-law, and Grandma too! (Just gave her the recipe yesterday.)

Thanks again for another great one!

102. Shelley

October 19, 2010 at 9:27 am

Can you freeze the dough before rolling and cutting out with cookies cutters? (Then thaw, roll out, and cut out when ready?) I don’t have room in my freezer right now for a sheet tray!

October 19, 2010 at 6:23 pm

You don’t need to store the cut out dough on a sheet tray, just place them on a sheet tray after you cut them out, then place in the freeze for 30 minutes or so then take them out and transfer to a ziploc bag. You can always just make a round flat disk out of the dough and freeze it that way too and then thaw and roll out.

103. jenn

October 18, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Instead of the 2 different flours, can we use just one Gluten Free flour mix?

• lorrie

November 2, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I think that’s what I’m going to do Jenn. I’m so excited because my 4 year old has never had a graham cracker before due to a wheat allergy. : )

104. Alyssa

October 11, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe!! I just found this site a few weeks ago, and have really enjoyed trying out different recipes. I am very new to the kitchen and I am glad that you posted a video to help me figure out how to make these :)
    Question: Are these supposed to be cookie like or crunchy cracker like?
    Also mine were also SUPER sticky and I am not sure why… do you think making sure the butter is super chilled could be the reason? I had to add almost another 1/2 cup flour to make it so that I could actually work with it.

October 11, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Did you use honey as your sweetener? These are exactly like graham cracker – nice and crunchy and crisp! :)

105. Traci

October 6, 2010 at 3:34 pm

These were great! I just made them with my 2 and a half year old and she can’t get enough. My husband thought they were good too. Really easy to make! I used molasses instead of honey and the dough didn’t taste great but they were delicious after being cooked! Thanks for a great recipe!

106. Courtney

October 4, 2010 at 8:30 am

I made these this weekend with my 2 year old. She loved them. I used sucanat instead of brown sugar and it worked fine.

107. Pingback: 9.29 Homemade Graham Crackers « McCollum Project 365

108. Brittan

September 30, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Just made these! Very yummy, can’t wait for my 2 year old to try them! So happy I found your site! Thanks! :)

109. Carolina

September 26, 2010 at 4:12 am

Just made them and my son keeps asking for more! Delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

110. Pingback: Graham Crackers

111. sasha

September 14, 2010 at 10:22 am

Unsalted butter? Or Salted?

September 14, 2010 at 1:07 pm

unsalted :) When baking the rule of thumb is to use unsalted butter all the time.

112. Avigayil

September 13, 2010 at 4:04 am

Thanks for this recipe!!!! Do you think I can use oil instead of butter?

September 13, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Not sure if it would work, since you need to get a mealy consistency – it would be a different texture. You would have to use butter.

113. Danielle

September 10, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Thank you for posting this, Catherine! Just tried them and even though I didn’t roll them out as thin as I would have preferred, everyone in the house is loooving them!

114. Chrissy

September 9, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Just made these tonight. Followed the recipe exactly, except I used Graham flour for the whole wheat (same amts) and used golden brown sugar instead of dark (same amts). They are so great, and came together surprisingly quickly! Thanks for the recipes Catherine!

115. Helen

September 9, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Can we still make this without a food processor? I have a tiny kitchen so I don’t have space for a food processor. Would working the dough really well be enough?

Thanks :)

116. Coralee

September 8, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Just made these this afternoon and they are already almost gone. I used 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour and they turned out fine. I think next time I will add more cinnamon :o)
    Thanks for this easy and delicious recipe!

• Tasha

September 14, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Yeah, great to hear that all whole wheat flour still worked great! *Off to kitchen to make cookies with the kids!* :)

117. Ricki

September 8, 2010 at 1:39 pm

My 3 year old daughter and I made these today and they are fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! :)

118. Jenn

September 8, 2010 at 8:43 am

Any ideas of calorie per cookie?

• Tasha

September 22, 2010 at 5:43 pm

I found that caloriecount.com will analyze any recipe for you and it says that the entire batch is 2490 calories! If you cut it into 40 cookies – that’s about 62 calories each.

119. Stephanie

September 7, 2010 at 10:05 pm

My 15 month old LOVES these, and so do I! I only had light brown sugar, and they tasted great.

120. Susan

September 7, 2010 at 8:47 am

I made these crackers for my 13 mo. old this weekend – except I deleted half of the butter and used 1/2 cup of sweet potato puree instead. They turned out so well and she loved them. Next time I’ll roll the dough much thinner but overall I was quite impressed! Thanks!

121. kathryn

September 7, 2010 at 7:54 am

I need to make this recipe G/F. Would you recommend me using a bean flour in place of the whole wheat. And a all purpose G/F rice flour mix for the second portion? Also, could I use Spectrum’s Non-Hydrogenated shortening? My kids are allergic to soy, dairy, gluten, and corn.

September 7, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Another version of this that I made that would be great for you would be using Gluten Free Oat Bran instead of whole wheat (1 Cup) and 2 Cups of Gluten Free Flour – Margarine is a good substitute for butter as well. I’m sure the rice flour would work but have not tested it, let me know how they turn out!

122. Leora

September 6, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I just made them, they smell delicious. Only thing was the batter was really soft and gooey. We could not shape them into anything or use cookie cutters. They also spread out quite a bit in the oven and came out quite flat. I did use some spelt flour in place of the whole wheat. Thanks.

September 7, 2010 at 12:53 pm

It have been from the spelt flour, in place of whole wheat you can use 1 cup oat bran to 2 cups AP and it works the same :)

• Leora

September 9, 2010 at 11:23 am

Thanks for the response. They were flat and shapeless, but still delicious. Love the recipes from you. Thanks.

• Olivia

September 6, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Please do a video on this for those of us (or maybe it’s just me) that followed the recipe and STILL messed it up!

1st – my dough wasn’t holding together so I had to double honey and water (not sure why)..

2nd – I must have made them too thick – they are more like cookies than crackers…

SO, yeah, please video this…

Thanks! :) <3

September 7, 2010 at 12:49 pm

When you pulse this dough, it may seem like it is not coming together, you have to take it out of the bowl and use your hands to bring it together. Did you roll them out to 1/4 inch thick? How did you prepare the dough?

123. Ashlee

September 5, 2010 at 2:13 pm

These are absolutely delicious! I had company over and they disappeared pretty quickly. I don’t have a food processor, used a pastry cutter instead. They actually really taste like cinnamon buns (and smell just as good when baking!)

124. Ellen

September 5, 2010 at 9:50 am

We made them last night, super good, but almost better the next day. My kids ( 4 and 15m) tore them up.
    Be careful of the baking time though, 15 min was too long. It was closer to 12 mins.

September 7, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Every oven works differently -I’m so happy they loved it!

125. Lori

September 5, 2010 at 2:26 am

Everyone in my family loved these…I didn’t have plain cinnamon so I used Pumpkin Pie Spice instead, they were awesome!

126. Nancy

September 4, 2010 at 10:35 pm

I made some small modifications and I love how they turned out. For the honey I used 3TB molasses and 1TB honey. Since I used the molasses I subbed raw sugar for brown sugar. The whole family is in love with them. My 2yo daughter and I enjoyed making them together. A great substitute for making sugar cookies. Thanks!!

127. Pingback: My New Favorite | ohamanda.com

128. Crystal

September 3, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe! My kids love graham crackers and I like being able to give them a healthy alternative to processed graham crackers. I LOVE this website!!

129. Leora

September 3, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Do you think spelt flour would work well in this recipe?

September 7, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Not sure since I have not tested it, you can use 1 cup oat bran to 2 cups AP if you do not want to use whole wheat. If you test it with spelt let me know!

130. Jessica

September 2, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Also, how much cocoa do you add for the chocolate ones?

September 2, 2010 at 5:35 pm

You can add 1/4 cup of cocoa with this recipe :)

131. Jessica

September 2, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Looks great! Where does everyone buy their cookie cutters?

• Emily

October 5, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I just picked up some mini Noah’s Ark cookie cutters at Joann Fabric yesterday. I thought they would be great for this recipe, and I can’t wait to try them!

132. Karen

September 2, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I just made this now and I got 40 cookies, my cookie cutters were a bit bigger then Catherines though. They are SO YUMMY!!! My 13month old loves cookies and loved this one also.She also loves the cheese wafers.

133. Julie

September 2, 2010 at 8:03 am

Awesome! I am definitely going to make these with my preschooler. Graham crackers are his favorite. I’m going to try the Earth Balance also, due to his allergy. I’ve had great success subbing it into recipes before, esp for baked goods.

134. Sarah H

September 2, 2010 at 3:04 am

I’m going to give this a try w. Pamela’s gluten free flour mix. So far I’ve had great success w. her flour mix in almost everything. I’ve been wanting a graham cracker recipe. Thank you SO much! I will bookmark this & give it a try next week! My 4 year old is developmentally delayed & I have to pack all her snacks for school w. extreme care. I love making things that she loves & it helps keep her from going after someone else’s gluten-filled snacks!

• tedntric

September 29, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Did you try it? Curious if anyone has tried these with gluten free flour and had success. With the recipe calling for the two types of flour, is it possible to just use GF flour for both and have a successful outcome? Thanks!

135. Amy

September 1, 2010 at 9:06 pm

I am going to try making these using Earth Balance for my dairy allergic son. Anyone tried it yet? Results?

136. Lori

September 1, 2010 at 7:35 pm

I like to add cocoa powder to mine to make them chocolatey too! :)

137. CARMA

September 1, 2010 at 6:23 pm

I made these, my son didn’t think they were ” graham crackers’ he thought they were cookies, but it’s about the same no?

I see on the box of organic graham crackers i bought the ingredients are graham flour and molasses………..perhaps they might taste more ” authentic” if these things were included in the ingredients?

My son liked them none the less.

138. little miss mel

September 1, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Just made these! My 5 yr old says they taste just as good, if not better, than the oatmeal cookies I made the other day. :)

Going to freeze half for later use.

Thanks!!

Make spaghetti pie later for dinner. ;)

139. Marie

September 1, 2010 at 4:00 pm

If you are making these for a babe < 1 year old, what can you replace the honey with? Can you do a 1 for 1 substitution with blackstrap molasses?

September 2, 2010 at 3:18 pm

You can use agave or maple syrup – although the maple syrup may change the flavor a little. I would go with agave. :) You can also use molasses – the measurements would be the same.

140. Emily

September 1, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I thought graham crackers would need graham flour? I have graham flour that I’d love to use – could I use that instead of the white flour? (We don’t eat white flour here.) Also, could I use evaporated cane juice instead of the brown sugar?

141. Melinda

September 1, 2010 at 2:01 pm

What would you do to make the cinnamon ones too? I know how to make the cinnamon sugar, but would it stick if you sprinkle it on before baking them or would you need to use something else to make it happen? My kids love graham crackers and milk! Can’t wait to try them. Thanks!

September 2, 2010 at 4:10 pm

These actually have cinnamon in them but you can most definitely sprinkle come cinnamon sugar on top, may be a little more sweet but should be yummy!

142. Shanon Wahoff

September 1, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I was wondering about using light brown sugar instead of the dark as well. Plus do you have a way of making chocolate graham crackers? My son loves the chocolate ones from the store.

September 2, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I made a second batch and used golden brown sugar and they worked just the same! Light brown sugar would be fine- the color might be a little lighter. In order to make chocolate graham crackers, you just need to add cocoa powder to the mix. I would say 1/4 cup of cocoa powder. Let me know how they turn out!

143. Heather

September 1, 2010 at 1:20 pm

What is the difference between dark brown and light brown sugar? Cna I use light brown, instead?
    Thank you!

September 2, 2010 at 4:17 pm

There is more molasses in dark brown sugar. Yes you can use light brown :)

• stephanie

September 1, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Light and dark brown sugar are interchangeable. :)

• Shanon Wahoff

September 1, 2010 at 1:53 pm

144. Michelle

September 1, 2010 at 12:49 pm

How big of a batch does this make? Is it the close to what would be in a store bought box? (I’m just trying to get a visual!) It still seems like a lot of sugar to me, especially since our body treats honey no different then sugar. If it’s a HUGE batch, I could understand. I’m just a little hesitant with the sugar amount.

September 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm

It depends on what size your cookie cutters are and how big you cut out the “crackers”. Mine made about 50-60 cookies and I froze most of them. The batch is big and freezes very well :) The sweetness is the perfect amount as well.

• Maya

September 1, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I don’t like much sugar myself and I have noticed that with almost any recipe you can cut down on the amount of sugar – depending on your taste. It should not affect the recipe.

145. jana

September 1, 2010 at 11:54 am

Oh I think I need a new shelf on my freezer for all this tempting recipes!!! I can’t wait to try this one!!
    I’m on a nesting high ;)

• Blanca

September 2, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Oh, you and me both!!! I need a large freezer! Esp is the summer times when the popsicles take up room while they’re freezing. I loose track of what I have in there sometimes!

• Blanca

September 2, 2010 at 12:08 pm

is = in, loose = lose. I hate when I do that

146. Sonia

September 1, 2010 at 11:42 am

I can’t wait to make these! (Have a broken oven right now!) My girls love crackers to snack on. They especially love grahams but they are so hard to find w/o being loaded with junk. Plus my 3 year old is allergic to soy and citric acid. I am so happy you did this!

147. Heather

September 1, 2010 at 11:32 am

YUMMMM…. I have been waiting for these, thank you! I can’t wait to try them out! The ultimate test will be my grandfather who eats them at breakfast with his coffee! Thank you and will let you know how everything goes!

148. Miranda Merten

September 1, 2010 at 11:23 am

Wow, never even thought of making homemade graham crackers! Will definitely put this in my “try it” folder.

149. yeni

September 1, 2010 at 10:27 am

I never thought these would be so easy to make! I wish my boy would eat cookies or sweets, but I’ll still make them just in case he changes his mind. Thanks for posting. This will be a keeper for future use!

• Maryea

September 1, 2010 at 1:09 pm

You should thank your lucky stars your little one doesn’t want sweets!!

150. JoBeth

September 1, 2010 at 10:22 am

Any idea how long the baked crackers will stay fresh before going stale? I love that you have instructions for making them ahead and then freezing!

September 2, 2010 at 5:18 pm

As long as they stay in a air-tight container, they will stay fresh for up to a week or even more :)

151. Lindsay

September 1, 2010 at 10:04 am

Yay! Finding graham crackers without nasty ingredients has caused me major grief in the grocery aisle. There are, like, 30 varieties on the shelves and I’m cross-eyed by the time I’ve checked them all. I’ve seen “graham flour” before and always assumed this would be necessary for graham crackers – not the case?

• leeanna

September 1, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I believe graham flour is named after a person. ;)

• Wendy

September 1, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Graham flour is named after a person, but it is also it’s own flour mix. Technically it is a whole wheat flour, but Graham actually processed the flour as white flour so it has a fine consistency and then mixed wheat bran and wheat germ that are course ground back into the original. Because the wheat bran and wheat germ are courser than in wheat flour this flour has a slightly sweet, nutty flavor. Whole wheat flour at the same amount is commonly used as a substitute, but the final product isn’t quite as sweet. I also found a few places online that show how to mix proportions of white flour, wheat bran and wheat germ to make your own. You can buy graham flour here in the U.S., though you need to remember with the coarser wheat germ it will go rancid faster. I keep mine in the fridge with my wheat germ.

152. Kim

September 1, 2010 at 10:02 am

Do you have any suggestions for making this without butter? My daughter is still sensitive to dairy proteins.

Thanks!

• surrealist1

October 3, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I have heard that goats milk is good an alternative to cows milk. I used to keep a horse at a place that also kept Nubian goats for their own usage for milk and sell the kids to 4-Hers, soapmakers building up their herds, or just those that wanted goats of their own. They were never “big” enough to sell milk for money.

• Whitney

September 29, 2010 at 11:31 am

Fleischmann’s unsalted margarine sticks are dairy free and are easier to use in recipes than the Smart Balance Light (which comes in a tub). It also freezes well so I stock up when there’s a sale. Just make sure you get the unsalted variety as the salted version does have dairy. My son is allergic to dairy (just a drop on his skin will cause a welt) and I use Fleischmann’s in all my recipes. In fact, I just used it to make this one and they turned out great!

• Page

September 12, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I use Smart Balance *Light*. Only the light version is vegan and I personally think it tastes better than Earth Balance.

• liz

September 9, 2010 at 7:15 pm

if your dd is sensitive to dairy, try giving her raw milk. ignore the reports saying it is bad for you. that’s only if it is bottled wrong. read “raw milk revolution” for more info on the history of milk. As Joel Salatin says (he’s the farmer featured in the movie FOOD, INC), “If it were bad for you, it would be illegal to give it away, but it’s only illegal to sell it”. dairy allergies or sensitivities didn’t exist 50 yrs ago. ask yourself why.

September 2, 2010 at 5:19 pm

You can use margarine as a substitute :)

• Jill

September 1, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Earth balance is great. I can’t have dairy or soy due to my daughter’s allergy and I love earth balance.

• Sarah

September 1, 2010 at 11:43 am

Have you tried Earth Balance? I use it in baking all the time instead of butter, it’s vegan and trans fat-free.

• Kim

September 1, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I haven’t… thanks for the tip!

• Heather

September 1, 2010 at 11:40 am

maybe cold coconut oil?

153. Andi

September 1, 2010 at 9:24 am

Awesome!!! I have been waiting very impatiently for this recipe, and I was about to go get the stuff to make a way more complicated looking recipe, I loved this!! My 22 month old did too!! Love that I can freeze dough for later. Thanks!

154. Amy

September 1, 2010 at 9:20 am

Any opinion/advice on switching honey with molasses?

September 2, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Use the same proportions as the recipe calls for :)

• Tanya

September 1, 2010 at 11:48 am

I’m going to sub extra honey and molasses for the brown sugar. If you still plan to use the brown sugar, I’m sure the molasses would sub fine for the honey. You might also try agave instead of the honey, if you use agave.