Pimento Cheese

Pimento Cheese

I can't claim this as an original recipe (considering I used to eat it at least once a week when I was a kid), but I wanted to share it with you anyway since it's a comfort food that takes me back to my childhood. Pimento Cheese Spread is a traditional recipe in the south and one that my grandmother made frequently when we went to her house. She would use it to make the most delectable tea sandwiches that my brother, cousins and I would devour. While I admit that this recipe is somewhat out of character for weelicious in that it is not exactly super healthy, it is vegetarian and totally delicious, so indulging in it now and then seems ok to me.

Since it's HalloWEEn, I've been thinking about orange and black themed recipes and what fun would it be to make a Pimento Cheese Spread sandwich on pumpernickel or dark rye and put it into your little one's lunch box. Cut it into the shape of a pumpkin, bat, witch or ghost (yes, that's a ghost pictured above) and lunchtime doesn't get any more fun! Whether you're trying to impress your kids during the holidays or just want a delicious dip or sandwich spread that's perfect for any time of year, Pimento Cheese Spread will ensure you have a lot of happy customers. I hope one of my childhood favorites will become one of yours too!

Pimento Cheese

• 1 cup cheddar cheese, finely grated ( i like to use a hand grater, but you can also use a box grater and then chop it into smaller pieces)
  • 2 ounces diced pimentos, drained (or 2 tbsp roasted red bell peppers, diced)
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or veganaise

1. 1. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
  2. 2. Serve with sliced bread.
Pimento Cheese

Comments

1. ann

May 2, 2014 at 11:16 am

I would only ever trust a KY girl to have the right pimento cheese recipe!

2. Jackie

September 4, 2012 at 10:17 am

I just made these, but I substitutedlain Greek yogurt for the mayo. I also added a tablespoon of low fat cream cheese and a tablespoon of pickle juice, per another readers comment! Yummy.

3. Jayne A.

February 27, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Palmetto contains lots of chemical preservatives and additives. Homemade is much better and better for you, but I can also recommend Trader Joe’s, Earth Fare, and Whole Foods. Miss Bonnie’s is also an extremely good choice with less chemical additives.

• Betty M.

March 10, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Sorry Jayne I don’t have any of those stores in my area nor do I have the want to make my own pimento cheese. I can guarantee that if I did it wouldn’t taste as good as Palmetto.

4. Betty M.

February 21, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I love this idea, now I can use all of those cutouts I have for something other than Christmas cookies! Mine are going to be filled with Palmetto Cheese because that’s the only pimento cheese my kids will eat. Thank you for the article.

5. Green Hornet Costumes

January 25, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Very interesting post. Certainly a lot of useful information. Glad I found your blog. Will bookmark it and return for more information.

6. Stacy

December 9, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Just made these for my little girl and she loves them! Thanks for all the great ideas :)

7. Raquel

October 27, 2010 at 7:25 pm

i cannot wait to make this – i have never heard of pimento cheese, but it sounds like a fun treat for Halloween! I love your site and i constantly find new things to try.

8. lindey

October 26, 2010 at 4:02 am

this is an adorable idea. pimento cheese isn’t fabulous until it is loaded with pepper at my house :o)

9. Lisa

October 25, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Oh…I am making this for my snack week at preschool. Last time I got creative I overheard a mom saying, “What kid would eat THIS?” Wish me luck! I’m so excited! Thank you for all your NEW ideas.

10. Laura

October 25, 2010 at 2:28 pm

This recipe is healthier than my grandma’s version – she used velveta! Couldn’t quite bring myself to do that – even though I used to love it. Thanks

11. Tiffany

October 25, 2010 at 11:59 am

cute + yum! i need to look for cookie cutters so i can do this for my little one.

12. BB

October 25, 2010 at 10:49 am

I like to do 1/2 cheddar and 1/2 monterey jack and also add a touch of cream cheese and the special ingredient: pickle juice. I LOVE pimento cheese.

13. Holly N.

October 25, 2010 at 9:10 am

Sounds yummy! Thanks for the recipe! My granny always made pimento cheese while I was growing up that was super yummy. She’s gone now and I never thought to ask for any of her recipes. This brings back great memories. I can’t wait to try this. Thanks again!