I've already been getting plenty of panicked emails from moms saying they're dreading Thanksgiving because of their picky eaters. “My kids aren’t going to eat anything at my mother’s this year!” “What can I make this holiday that will be a guaranteed success with my kids?” While there aren’t any guarantees when it comes to kids and food, there are certain recipes that seem to be more popular than others with little ones (and the rest of the family too!).
Mashed potatoes are usually a safe bet and these Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes are unbelievably fluffy and creamy. They’re also the perfect recipe to make with your kids. I find that one of the easiest ways to get kids to love certain foods is by inviting them to help you make them in the kitchen. If you haven’t tried cooking with your kids, Thanksgiving is the perfect time to put aside the daily stress of rushing around and just enjoy the day cooking as a family. Even if you make only one thing together, it’s a great way to get everyone involved and get your kids excited about the holiday.
When I made these potatoes with Kenya last week during our holiday recipe testing, his favorite job was sampling the mascarpone and deciding whether it tasted more like cream cheese or super thick sour cream. He even helped me decide on how much should go into the recipe, tasting bite after bite until he deemed them "just right". What better tradition to begin during the holidays than one you can do as a family!
Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes (Serves 6-8)
- 4 Russet Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 Cup Mascarpone Cheese
- 2/3 Cup Milk*
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 1/2 Tsp Salt
Preparation1. Place potatoes, 2 tsp of salt in a large pot and cover with cold water.
2. Bring the water and potatoes to a boil.
3. Reduce to medium heat and continue to boil for approximately 15-17 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
4. Heat the milk and butter in a saucepan or in a glass bowl in the microwave until warm and butter is melted.
5. Mash the potatoes using a ricer, food mill or potato masher in a bowl until smooth.
6. Add the warm butter/milk mixture, mascarpone and 1/2 tsp salt and stir to combine.