Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes

I've already been getting plenty of panicked emails from moms saying they're dreading Thanksgiving because of their picky eaters. “My kids aren’t going to eat anything at my mother’s this year!” “What can I make this holiday that will be a guaranteed success with my kids?” While there aren’t any guarantees when it comes to kids and food, there are certain recipes that seem to be more popular than others with little ones (and the rest of the family too!).

Mashed potatoes are usually a safe bet and these Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes are unbelievably fluffy and creamy. They’re also the perfect recipe to make with your kids. I find that one of the easiest ways to get kids to love certain foods is by inviting them to help you make them in the kitchen. If you haven’t tried cooking with your kids, Thanksgiving is the perfect time to put aside the daily stress of rushing around and just enjoy the day cooking as a family. Even if you make only one thing together, it’s a great way to get everyone involved and get your kids excited about the holiday.

When I made these potatoes with Kenya last week during our holiday recipe testing, his favorite job was sampling the mascarpone and deciding whether it tasted more like cream cheese or super thick sour cream. He even helped me decide on how much should go into the recipe, tasting bite after bite until he deemed them "just right". What better tradition to begin during the holidays than one you can do as a family!

Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes  (Serves 6-8)

• 4 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 1/2 teaspoon salt

1. 1. Place potatoes, 2 tsp of salt in a large pot and cover with cold water.
  2. 2. Bring the water and potatoes to a boil.
  3. 3. Reduce to medium heat and continue to boil for approximately 15-17 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
  4. 4. Heat the milk and butter in a saucepan or in a glass bowl in the microwave until warm and butter is melted.
  5. 5. Mash the potatoes using a ricer, food mill or potato masher in a bowl until smooth.
  6. 6. Add the warm butter/milk mixture, mascarpone and 1/2 tsp salt and stir to combine.
Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes

Comments

1. Pingback: Truffled Mashed Potatoes with Prosciutto and Rosemary | Dishin & Dishes

2. Canada

August 2, 2013 at 1:16 am

If I want to serve this the next day as a potluck dish, what would you suggest for reheating in order to make it taste like it was made the same day? Put in oven? Or would that make it too dry?

August 2, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Reheat on the stove, and add a little water and milk to it to keep them moist!

• Irving

February 5, 2014 at 3:16 am

Hmmm, pasta is something I could eat evdyreay. I love this recipe it looks delicious and it’s a great way to get in those veggies. I’ve never been to Giacomo’s can you believe? But I think I need to go! I’m so glad that you’ve kept in touch with Susie; you sound like the best of friends. It’s great when you can connect with someone and have that relationship carry over for years and years!

3. Pingback: Creamy Garlic Mashed Cauliflower and Potato Recipe - Jeanette's Healthy Living

4. Vanessa

November 13, 2012 at 2:16 pm

This sounds simple and delicious. I love Weelicious! I do question the cooking and total time however – how could it be 15 min cooking time when the potatoes are first brought to boiling and then cooked for 15-17 min. And total time of 20 min? We all know that peeling and mashing the taters alone will take more time than that.

5. web hosting

November 21, 2011 at 9:02 am

Attractive part of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact loved account your weblog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access constantly rapidly.

6. Alli

November 29, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Oh my this looks good..and love the picture!

7. Pris

November 23, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Does the mascarpone need to be heated or grated? I got a block of it? Thanks!

8. Ariane

November 22, 2010 at 8:20 am

Sounds yummy! I’ve always used marscarpone in my lasagna, but I never knew how else or what to use it in. Thanks.

9. Nicole

November 21, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Mmm, me too, made this and served it with osso bucco. My 14 mo. old loved to chew on the bone- the perfect teething ring :)

10. Lucy

November 20, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Just made this and it was amazing !

11. Cherine

November 19, 2010 at 4:11 am

Love the addition of the mascarpone! Must be really good!

12. Gangka

November 16, 2010 at 2:11 am

Hi;

Can I substitute the cheese with cheddar or other type of cheese? If yes, please suggest one. Can I do it on stove? I do not have any microwave or oven.

Many thanks.

November 17, 2010 at 4:56 pm

This recipe does not require a microwave or oven :) I would use ricotta cheese with this recipe – so nice and fluffy!

13. carrie

November 15, 2010 at 8:20 am

these sound amazing!

14. Pingback: Weelicious ™ – Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food … » Your Recipe Database