Sweet Potato Biscuits

I hate to admit it, but considering the amount of things I normally have to do and dishes I need to prepare for Thanksgiving dinner, buying a bag of pre-made rolls from the grocery is usually how bread makes its way to our table come the last Thursday in November. As much as I love the smell of fresh baked bread, actually making it can be a real time suck on what is a busy day in the kitchen already .

When I'm planning Thanksgiving dinner for our family, I attempt to make everyone's favorite dish for them. For me, that's Brussel Sprouts with Lemon and Poppy Seeds, for my father-in-law, it's Maple Roast Veggies, for Kenya it's Sweet Potatoes in Orange Cups and for my husband, it’s stuffing. But my brother’s favorite (seriously) is bread. Since he was a kid, a roll, a slice of bread or anything resembling a baked good was his craving. He's really that easy-going an eater. To this day he would rather down a basket of warm buns over a plate of turkey if given the choice. It’s why I feel so much guilt every year making everyone’s favorite thing from scratch while unwrapping my only sibling’s best-loved dish from a plastic bag.

So for my brother this year, I'm making these Sweet Potato Biscuits. They're light, fluffy and, as far as biscuits go, have some added nutrition from the sweet potato puree, which gives them a slightly sweet taste and beautiful auburn color. The best part about these biscuits is that they seem to be a winner with anyone I make them for. Trying to make everyone happy on Thanksgiving isn't always easy (to say the least), but when you have at least one recipe you know everyone will love, it makes life a lot easier!

Sweet Potato Biscuits  (Makes about 20 Biscuits)

• 2 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup butter, chilled and cubed
  • 1 cup sweet potatoes, cooked & mashed
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons honey

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
  2. 2. Place the first 4 ingredients in a food processor and pulse to combine.
  3. 3. Add butter and pulse until it resembles coarse meal.
  4. 4. Add the sweet potatoes, milk and honey and pulse until the dough comes together.
  5. 5. Place dough onto parchment paper and knead 5 times to combine the ingredients and then shape into a flat disk (you don’t want to over knead the dough).
  6. 6. Place another piece of parchment paper on top and roll out with a rolling pin until 3/4-1/2 inch thick.
  7. 7. Cut into circles or other shapes using cookie cutter.
  8. 8. Place the biscuits on a Silpat or parchment-lined baking sheet lightly coated with cooking spray.
  9. 9. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
  10. 10. Cool and serve.
Sweet Potato Biscuits

Comments

1. Pingback: The Picky Eater | Healthy Vegetables Side Dish That Your Toddler Will Eat

2. Shira

January 1, 2014 at 2:49 pm

These don’t have a lot of flavor. Kind of bland.

3. Pamela S

November 24, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I followed the instructions exactly except that I added extra honey and I used canned organic pumpkin. The dough came out perfectly, I was thrilled! Rolled without sticking, I usually have to flour the roller. My son had fun with the cookie cutters. I am going to freeze them for Thanksgiving day. Nice to cross this one off my list. Thank you! Next time I will go the sweet potato route.

4. Megan

October 14, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Followed instructions exactly. Dough was way too sticky to roll out. Squished them into flat circles and ended up pretty dry and flat. Sad!

5. Megan

October 14, 2013 at 4:30 pm

What are the instructions for baking the sweet potato? Lots of comments here about how important that is but don’t see any guidance other than ‘not too much’. Thanks!

6. amanda

September 11, 2013 at 1:07 pm

can you freeze them BEFORE you cook them?

7. Ashly

April 29, 2013 at 10:09 am

Can you freeze the remaining biscuits?

April 29, 2013 at 11:25 am

Yes! Defrost at room temperature or reheat in the toaster oven!

8. Pingback: Thanksgiving Leftovers One Meal At A Time - Kiddology

9. Brittany

February 15, 2012 at 8:27 pm

PLEASE read this Catherine! I’ve been using your site for a long time with great results but never had to post before. Something terrible happened when I tried to make these, but I don’t know what. I followed the recipe to a tee, only difference I used soy milk. Unfortunately, my blender did absolutely nothing except get clogged up when I tried to pulse the ingredients. I ended up dumping it all in a bowl and hand kneading it. But the dough was RIDICULOUSLY sticky. It stuck to my hands so badly I couldn’t knead properly. Then it EVEN stuck to the parchment paper.. I had to scrape it off with my hands and try to make little balls to bake. Half it was still on the paper. It’s in the oven now, but I highly doubt they will turn out. Any ideas how to fix it for next time? I really want to eat them!

February 16, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Make sure you’re using a real sweet potato and not a yam. Grocery stores sometimes mislabel the two. Also, did you use a blender or a food processor? The food processor is much better for this dough. Another thing I have heard people having trouble with is over-baking the sweet potato. If you cook it too long it starts to caramelize and that would contribute to the stickiness. I hope this helps and I hope you are more successful next time!

10. Pingback: Homemade vs. Store-Bought Baby Food « Merrimack Valley Moms

11. Pingback: anna riva oils

12. Pingback: Scooter

13. thomas sabo ring

November 29, 2011 at 4:37 am

Terrific work! This is the kind of info that are supposed to be shared around the net. Shame on the seek engines for no longer positioning this put up upper! Come on over and talk over with my website . Thank you =)

14. Pingback: hemp oil

15. Lana

August 23, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I was just wondering what the best way to cook the sweet potato would be? Do you poke holes in them? Also what temperature do you bake the sweet potato at?

16. BrittanyBarrett

June 1, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Catherine do you use the mini food processor for all of your recipes? If not which one do you usually use, i would like to purchase it.

June 2, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Not all recipes, i used it alot when making baby food. For some things that don’t need a big food processor, i use my small one.

• BrittanyBarrett

June 4, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Oh i see , well thank you for getting back to me, what is the name of your big one?

17. Arelis

April 12, 2011 at 9:45 am

Just made these for my VERY picky 2 year old and he loved them! He made them with me and we used cookie cutter shapes that he liked. I used canned pumpkin and gluten free all purpose flour (he has wheat and egg allergies). The dough came out very sticky at first and I had to add quite a bit more flour. Not sure if this is because of the consistency of the gluten free flour.

Thanks for getting my baby to eat something new!!

18. Juliette Hillier

February 2, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Just made these with number shaped cutters for my two year old. Such a quick and simple recipe! Thank you!

19. Amanda

January 24, 2011 at 6:12 pm

WOW these are GOOD, my kids loved them too :) will be a keeper in this household

20. CA

January 10, 2011 at 10:55 pm

I made these today and they were a big flop. The dough was horribly stick so I had to add more flour then when they came out of the oven they were flat and tough! What a disaster they were (the dough tasted good though haha). I’ve made biscuits many yime and have never had problems, so I’m not sure what happened here…any suggestions. I really want these to turn out.

January 11, 2011 at 2:59 pm

How did you cook your sweet potatoes?

21. Sylvie

December 15, 2010 at 11:51 am

Hi,
    many thanks for this. My 3 year old said ‘yuk!’ when I told him we were going to make sweet potato biscuits, but after he helped me make them (no food processor – just had to use ‘tickle fingers’!), he could not stop eating them! Am really looking forward to trying more recipes out from your site.

22. Maggie

December 9, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Woops, and I used almond milk – unsweetened!

23. Maggie

December 9, 2010 at 5:19 pm

I made these gluten-free and they were awesome. I just used two cups of my all-purpose gluten-free mix and I used coconut oil instead of butter. Soooooo good and I love that it’s a food processor recipe. The dough was so nice to work with!

24. wendi

November 29, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I am wondering if wheat flour can be used???

Thanks!

November 29, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Whole Wheat would be too dense for this recipe, the white flour allows the biscuits to be more airy and light :)

25. shauna

November 27, 2010 at 3:20 pm

It there a gluten free way to make these?

• elizabeth

December 3, 2010 at 9:08 am

yes, please someone contribute a gluten free version! maybe glutenfreegirl will offer her interpretation!

26. Amy

November 26, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I made these for the kids at yesterday’s dinner and they were great! Made them vegan with Earth Balance and hemp milk and no one knew the difference!

27. moiralong

November 26, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Everyone, including my highly skeptical 8-year-old, LOVED these biscuits, which i brought for Thanksgiving dinner. Their texture, flavor, and size were just right. Thanks for the terrific recipe! Next recipe I’ll be trying out: Carrot Ginger soup. YUM!

• David

February 4, 2014 at 8:57 pm

I need to get back out and get more excercise. The haservt season is about over for us here. It’s mostly bean picking and picking the occasional melon. When the cold months start to roll around, I become a hermit. I hate cold weather.

28. Margaret

November 26, 2010 at 1:53 am

We made these for our Thanksgiving dinner tonight and they turned out perfectly. Thanks Weelicious!

29. Kelli

November 25, 2010 at 9:58 pm

ps – they didn’t rise nearly as high as the picture above either…. :)

• wendy

November 28, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Kelly mine raised just as high as the picture. If you want if to be like the picture you have to roll the dough out to 3/4 inch.

• wendy

November 28, 2010 at 9:13 pm

o.k. so I re-made these three times so far. Am learning a lot each time :-. Hope the info helps. So BIG difference in using proper sweet potato instead of yams. Again careful as these two words are used interchangeably within supermarkets. Make sure you buy sweet potato as it will be starchier than yams and that’s what you want. Kelly, they came out wonderful once I made the adjustment. The dough came out just like in the video. Also, make sure you don’t OVER bake the sweet potato. If you over bake it the consistency of the sweet potato will change from starchy to mushy and moist,almost carmelized. This happened the second time I tried this recipe and by over baking the potato it made the dough come out sticky again :-(.. so this recipe HIGHLY depends on the outcome of the potato. Just be careful, if you notice the consistency of the sweet potato being not starchy but moist and yam-like after its been roasted, just make sure you make up for the extra moisture by adding a few more tablespoon of flour to the dry mix before adding in the wet mixture.

30. Kelli

November 25, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I made these tonight and they were delish! BUT I had a hard time in the beginning as the dough as super sticky for me – (not like the video example you did on goop). i had to add alot of flour as I went to make sure they didn’t stick to everything. I think i did something wrong (and I did chill the butter). any suggestions? thanks for the recipe!

• Gudrun

November 28, 2010 at 4:14 pm

I had the same problem. My dough was SO sticky. I did use sweet potato but the one thing i changed was using spelt flour instead of all purpose flour. I had to constantly add flour to the dough so that it would stop sticking to my hands. I´m sure they will taste good though.

• wendy

November 26, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Hi Kelly… I had the same issue w/ sticky dough. Made them on 11-25. Attempting them again today. The error might be that I bought (what was labeled as sweet potato at Whole Foods) might actually have been a yam. I did some researching and the terms “yam” and “sweet potato” in the U.S. are used interchangeably. This might pose an issue w/ the sticky dough as Yam has a much higher moisture content than “Sweet Potato”. Today I made sure I bought a “Sweet Potato” and it’s in the oven now. I already notice a much drier texture in the sweet potato I bought today. The skin is much paler and the flesh is very pale yellow as opposed to the Whole Foods sweet potato (which had more moisture). Cross my fingers this will do the trick and the dough will come out less sticky and more like the video. I hope this info helps?
      Take Care, Wendy

31. nicoleg1981

November 23, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Could you use vegetable oil instead of butter? I need to make these vegan but I don’t have shortening or margarine.

November 24, 2010 at 3:31 pm

You can use margarine that is chilled and cubed :)

32. Alina

November 23, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I made those yesterday and they turned out DELICIOUS (today they are soft and flavorfull). However, I used canned sweet potato and no food processor. I mixed the ingredients one by one with a fork. The dough was very sticky, so I rubbed olive oil on my hands and on the plastic cutting board where I flattened the dough with my hands.
    Catherine, every recipe that I make from your website is delicious and the whole family loves them (my 17-month old son, my husband and I). Thank you!

33. Pris

November 22, 2010 at 9:41 pm

oops, another question, (maybe stupid) but do you cook them before freezing or freeze them raw?

November 23, 2010 at 1:46 am

You could do it either way. If you freeze them before baking, I would add an additional 5 minutes to the cooking time.

34. Pris

November 22, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I just got a Vita mix and was wondering if I could use that instead of a food processor. I only have a mini food processor.

November 23, 2010 at 1:45 am

I don’t think it will work in the vita mix. I would try making them by hand with 2 knives or a pastry cutter.

35. Carrie Harnish

November 22, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I’m wondering the same thing as Michelle – can it be made with a butter substitute?

Carrie

36. Michelle

November 22, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Two questions: 1) Do you think they can be made with shortening instead of butter? 2) Could I use soy milk? We’re a dairy-free house. Thanks!

• Amy

November 26, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I used Earth Balance and hemp milk, and they turned out awesome! No one knew the difference!

November 23, 2010 at 1:45 am

Yes, they could be made with shortening and feel free to use soy milk!

37. Tracey Amo

November 22, 2010 at 7:19 pm

I LOVE your recipes!! I just made these with some leftover pumpkin instead of te sweet potatoes and they are absolutely delicious! Thank you so much for another fabulous recipe.

November 23, 2010 at 1:44 am

I’ve never tried making them with pumpkin puree. Great idea!

• Weirong

February 4, 2014 at 7:58 am

Your’s is a point of view where real inetcligenle shines through.

38. Sarah@narutaldiabetic

November 22, 2010 at 5:17 pm

My husband’s grandma used to make sweet potato biscuits every Thanksgiving. You gave me a great idea to keep the tradition alive and make them this year. These look great!

39. Monica

November 22, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I feel silly asking this question but when I try rolling out dough using parchment paper, it slides all over the place and I get frustrated. Any suggestions?

• Heather

November 22, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I roll stuff out on wax paper and just make it a bit longer than you need so that you can pull it down over the edge of the counter and lean against it. Then when you need to roll in another direction, just keep adjusting it. I’ve tried putting something heavy on the other sides on top of the counter, but I am a hard roller and it doesn’t seem to work. Lol. Pulling the excess over the edge and leaning on it always works for me!

• Marcy

December 13, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Try a little water on the counter under the paper

40. FeFe

November 22, 2010 at 12:16 pm

any way to make these biscuits without a food processor?

• Amy

November 26, 2010 at 3:17 pm

I have a food processor, but it was too small for this recipe. I just used a pastry cutter to blend the butter into the flour, and then just did the rest by hand. They turned out great! Light a fluffy, and I didn’t feel it took too much longer than if I’d used the food processor.

• Jenny

November 22, 2010 at 2:16 pm

I made them without a food processor. I used 2 knives in one hand to chop the butter into the flour mixture and them pulsed it in the blender. It was a little labor-intensive but worked fine. I just used my hands to knead in all the other ingredients when it got too hard to stir with a spoon. They turned out great!

November 23, 2010 at 1:43 am

Love that you did it the old fashioned way. What did we do before food processors?!

• Okan

February 2, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Thank you so much with regard to giinvg everyone an update on this subject matter on your site. Please realise that if a completely new post appears or in the event any improvements occur about the current submission, I would want to consider reading a lot more and learning how to make good using of those strategies you reveal. Thanks for your efforts and consideration of other men and women by making this blog available.

41. Lindsay

November 22, 2010 at 11:51 am

Do you think you could sub canned pumpkin puree for the sweet potato? I overpurchased pumpkin in the wake of the Great Canned Pumpkin Panic of 2010 and am looking for ways to use it all!

• Amanda Reed

November 22, 2010 at 3:30 pm

What an awesome idea! I have lots of pumpkin, too, so I think I may make these with pumpkin instead of sweet potatoes.

• Marcy

December 13, 2010 at 8:23 pm

My daughter Emmy is a big biscuit fan. This recipe is a delight and will be all year round. I had to add flour as I may have been a little heavy on the milk and honey. We have made this twice since thanksgiving. Once with a pumpkin/ sweet potato blend and once with just sweet potato. Yummy!

42. Joy

November 22, 2010 at 9:41 am

Is the honey required? Is there something else I could replace it with so my daughter (only 9 months old) could eat these?

November 22, 2010 at 3:57 pm

agave or maple syrup :)

• katie

November 22, 2010 at 3:33 pm

i’m not a doctor, but i always was told that if the honey is baked/cooked, it is safe for babies. we gave my daughter honey crackers, and the doc said those are safe.

• Joy

November 22, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I’ve always read that cooking temps don’t get high enough, so even with it baked in stuff, it’s still not good.

• Karen

February 4, 2014 at 9:21 pm

I just want to mention I am just new to blogs and rlelay loved this web page. Very likely I’m planning to bookmark your website . You actually come with awesome article content. Thanks a bunch for sharing your website.

• dawn

November 22, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Cooked honey ok, no raw honey

• Eve

November 22, 2010 at 9:53 am

You can use agave :)

• Joy

November 22, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Agave is the same as honey as far as the bacteria. At least that what I’ve read.

43. Emily

November 22, 2010 at 6:45 am

Can these be frozen and warmed later?

November 22, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Yes, they can be frozen and just let them thaw at room temp and heat them in the oven for a couple of minutes :)