Spiced Apple Cider

Our family went to a friend’s birthday party a few weeks ago on a cold, chilly afternoon. As we walked into the house, we saw a huge group of kids gathered around something in the kitchen. My first thought was they must be attacking an enormous plate of holiday cookies, but as we got closer I realized that they were all standing in line for hot Apple Cider. We quickly joined the queue. You didn’t even have to taste it to know how good it was going to be. The entire kitchen was filled with the incredible aroma of apple and spices, drawing all the little guests to the stove like an aromatic Pied Piper!

It’s remained pretty cold here in California and I've been brewing up my own pots of cider,
treating everyone to something perfect at this time of year that is sure to warm their
tummies! It doesn’t get much easier to make, so you can enjoy this special treat with your family all winter long.

Spiced Apple Cider  (Serves 4)

• 1 64 oz apple cider
  • 12 cloves
  • 2 lemons, juiced
  • 2 cinnamon sticks

1. 1. Place all the ingredients (including the juiced lemon rinds) in
  2. a saucepan and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
  3. 2. Serve (obviously don’t ladle the cloves, cinnamon or lemons into the cups!).
Spiced Apple Cider

Comments

1. Emily

October 20, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Have you been to Oak Glen Apple Orchards near Yucaipa? You can pick your own apples in season and press your own apple cider. It’s fun to see kids get excited about it!

2. Pingback: Fall: 10 Things « Joy, Lovely Joy

3. Pingback: Her Favorite Fall Sip ~ Spiced Apple Cider ‹ Her View From Home

4. Pingback: scary games

5. Jen

December 9, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Gotta follow up with a dumb question – are you squeezing all of that lemon juice into the cider or discarding it and only using the rinds?

• Justin

February 4, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I still do what learned a while ago in a rearsutant that I managedthe waitresses would but a shaker full of salt in the pot and then fill it halfway with ice cubes and swirl it around until the friction polished the insidesthen they just rinsed itsometimes tho i take this big wooden spoon I have and swirl the ice with the spoonworks just like sandpaper

• Britt

December 9, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I’m right there with the dumb question… The lemon juice goes in as well? Or just the rind?

6. Pingback: Last Minute Holiday Baking: 8 Vegan and Organic Recipes | Inhabitots

7. Jennifer

December 22, 2010 at 11:10 am

I’m confused about the lemons too.

December 22, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Just squeeze the lemons to get all the juice out then throw them into the pot :) this will add some essence from the rind

8. Andrea

December 18, 2010 at 11:30 pm

I was wondering the same thing as Chelsea!

9. chelsea

December 15, 2010 at 6:54 pm

i was wondering about the lemons… you put the juice from them into the cider right? cause the way it sound is that you only want to put the skins into the cider. i want to make hot apple cider for my mommy and baby group on friday so just wanted to ask and make sure i understood correctly. thank!! :D <3

10. Sophie

December 15, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I don’t have anywhere to buy cider. Do you know how I can make it?

December 21, 2010 at 5:36 pm

You can try to use organic Apple juice if you can’t find cider.

11. Alison @ Hospitality Haven

December 15, 2010 at 11:51 am

That sounds absolutely delicious! One of my favourite drinks to order when I’m out is a caramel apple cider…maybe you could add a dash of caramel to yours! :)

12. Pingback: World Beers Review » Spiced Apple Cider – Weelicious