Mini Sweet Potato Muffins

There's a vendor I've been buying from for years at our local farmer's market who has the most incredibly tender and almost candy-like tasting sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes take a bit of time to cook and since we eat them all the time in our house, I try to bake a bunch every Sunday or Monday so we always have enough for the whole week to snack on or to serve as a last minute side dish for dinner. Sometimes I get carried away and make enough sweet potatoes for a small army, hence the inspiration for this mini muffin recipe.

All I did was take a cup of pureed sweet potato and add it to an easy-to-whip-up batter. Not only did my kids love the bright orange color of these muffins, but they were also a major hit with a bunch of Chloe's little friends (aka my wee-testers). A lot more flavorful and healthy than anything you could buy at the supermarket, these sweet treats are something you can keep on hand for breakfast, lunch or any time of day.

Mini Sweet Potato Muffins  (Makes 30 Mini Muffins)

• Prep Time: 1 hrs,

• 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 large eggs, whisked
  • 1 cup sweet potato puree, cooked*
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. 2. Place the first 7 ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
  3. 3. In a separate bowl whisk the remaining ingredients.
  4. 4. Slowly combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients just until they are combined (be careful not to over mix the batter).
  5. 5. Place 1 tbsp of batter in each cup of greased mini muffin tins and bake for 15 minutes.
  7. * To make sweet potato puree, bake sweet potatoes (or yams) in a 400 degree oven for one hour, allow to cool, slice in half lengthwise and mash flesh with a fork until smooth.
  8. ** You can place muffins in labeled freezer bags and freeze for up to 3 months.
Mini Sweet Potato Muffins

Comments

1. Erin

February 24, 2014 at 9:03 am

My son loves these muffins! The last time I made them though, they started to mold (small black spots in muffins) after one day. Any thoughts on this or ideas to prevent? I plan to freeze almost immediately the next time I make them to see if that helps.

2. Alejandra

February 23, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Hi Catherine!
    I just noticed that this recipe is different from the printed version on your book. This one calls for 1/3 cup of sugar and sweet potato purée cooked. The book calls for 1/2 cup of sugar and shredded sweet potato.
    Why the difference??
    Also, I absolutely love your books but the pages are just falling out the book.

3. Alison

February 10, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Could I make these vegan by omitting the eggs and replacing them with a banana? I’ve been using coconut milk instead of cow’s milk and they have been fabulous!

4. Kirsten

February 7, 2014 at 7:35 am

I received an abundance of sweet potatoes from my organic share and plan on making these. I’m reading people say they use coconut milk instead of regular milk. Is this the coconut milk that comes out of the can or the carton? I’ve only used canned and not sure if there’s a difference between the two. Thanks!

• Alison

February 10, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Kirsten, I would use coconut milk beverage. The brand name of the kind I use is called SO Delicious, but any kind will do. You can find it in the refrigerated section or on the cereal aisle. Do not use the coconut milk in a can, it’s totally different stuff.

5. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday: week of April 22nd | One Mama's Daily Drama

6. J-Bo

January 20, 2014 at 4:25 pm

For anyone looking to make this recipe gluten free, I have done so. For the 1 cup of flour I subbed 1 cup of gluten free flour from the following blend: (blend 1 cup sorghum flour, 1 cup tapioca flour or starch, 1/2 cup (gluten free) millet flour, 1 teaspoon xanthan gum). Sub the regular oats for certified gluten free oats. I subbed coconut oil for the suggested oil, as that is what I had on hand. Love this recipe, one of our return to recipes time and time again :)

7. Pingback: The Picky Eater | Healthy Breakfast Muffins with Vegetables

8. sophie

December 18, 2013 at 9:03 am

Hi catherine, can i just use quaker oatmeal? That’s the best one i could find here. What if i don’t have brown sugar? Is there any substitute?

• Catherine McCord

December 18, 2013 at 11:54 am

Look for uncooked oats that are called Old Fashioned Oats or 5 Minute Oats! You could substitute white sugar! Or if you have molasses mix about 1/2 teaspoon into 1/3 cup white sugar and you’ll have brown sugar!

9. dalyfm

October 9, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Another awesome recipe! I will try it next time using squash. I love baking muffins with vegetables inside and my 16 month old twins love them too!

10. Pingback: Kid-Friendly Allergen-Free Foods: All Done Monkey {Multicultural Meal Plan Monday} | Multicultural Kid Blogs

11. Loni Gofran

September 24, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Just made these- my son won’t eat any veggies really, so starting to really sneak them in- he’s 2.5 and liked mixing the dry ingredients and dumping everything in.

I made them with white rice flour so my husband can have them, and added 1/2 teaspoon guar gum (because of the GF flour), used coconut milk instead of regular, and made them more as drop cookies on a silicon mat (we don’t have a mini muffin pan and I didn’t feel like making regular sized). They turned out really well- thank you so much! I *WILL* be trying some other recipes from your site!

12. Pingback: quick bites: packed lunches

13. Pingback: Obessions: Weelicious | Hair Teasing & Hair Bows

14. Missy McLean

July 30, 2013 at 10:19 am

This recipe was perfect for using up leftover sweet potato puree I had in the freezer now that my 10 month-old daughter only wants to feed herself. They were delicious and a huge hit with her. Just baking another batch now using pumpkin puree since it’s what I had on hand – I’m sure it’ll be great too.

15. Melanie Michon

July 15, 2013 at 11:32 am

I just made this recipe following your book and when I read the recipe online I noticed it says cooked sweet potato but the book says peeled and grated ( cooked is not mentioned) Is one recipe better than the other? I tried it and the inside kept coming out raw but crispy on the outside. This also happened when I made the zucchini bread. Any suggestions??

July 15, 2013 at 12:45 pm

They are different recipes, so it’s really just preference! What kind of pan are you cooking them in? If it is a dark metal pan that could be causing the outside to cook quicker than the inside.

16. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday: week of April 15th | One Mama's Daily Drama

17. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday: week of April 8th |

18. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday: week of April 22nd |

19. Diedre

April 30, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Thank you for another great recipe. I used coconut milk, coconut oil, and spelt flour. They are so yummy. I could not resist to have a few out of the oven with a cup of coffee for mid day snack. Packing these for our picnic at the park for my 2 and 3 yr old. My oldest does not eat any veggies so hopefully these will work.

• Christy

August 12, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Thank you for mentioning the coconut milk and oil work! My daughter has a dairy allergy, so we substitute coconut milk/oil/spread for everything. :)

20. April

March 24, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I just made these with butternut squash instead of sweet potato because I had a lot to use up. It worked beautiful along with almond milk, GF flour, coconut oil and I added raisins. Thank you for recipes that we can modify so easily to suit our needs. I don’t usually change up your recipes but I am experimenting with cutting down gluten and dairy.

21. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday: 3/11/13 | The Tumpaks' Blog

22. Pingback: Cook on Saturday, Eat Easy & Fast for the rest of the week! | Rebekah Griffin-Gamble

23. Ellie Robinson

February 10, 2013 at 9:22 am

Loved the recipe — so delicious and nutritious. I didn’t have any brown sugar, so I substituted 1/3 cup of agava nectar. They turned out perfectly!

My 2 1/2 yr old helped to make them and he sprinkled 1 blueberry on top of each muffin — very pretty!

24. Pingback: La Paix de Smith » Blog Archive » Sweet potato muffins

25. Erin

January 14, 2013 at 2:24 pm

My 2 1/2 year old LOVES these, she has helped me make them twice now! I love getting her involved in the kitchen, she is much more open to trying new foods if she has a hand in the preparation!

26. Pingback: Thankful for Grace [Real Food]

27. Jenny Britton

November 19, 2012 at 1:48 pm

love these recipes!!

28. Teresa

November 15, 2012 at 7:18 pm

We have a ton of pureed sweet potatoes left after my son stopped eating pureed baby food that I found in the freezer–none of us love straight sweet potatoes, so I’m wondering if you can share some recipes that I might use the leftovers in? I love the idea of these muffins!

29. Katie

September 27, 2012 at 4:46 pm

W.O.W. Amazing! I will be making regular sized from now…. the mini’s are too easy to pop in my mouth! (I almost ate the entire batch)

30. Pingback: Cook on Saturday, Eat Easy & Fast for the rest of the week! « Mommy Brainer

31. Tami

August 19, 2012 at 8:53 pm

There’s are super yummy! My husband loves them, now the real test is when my son wakes up in the morning and eats them for breakfast, lol

32. kiki

July 11, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Can you make these using Gerber baby oatmeal cereal? I have a lot left over that my son no longer eats.

33. Ivonne

July 3, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I’ m from Puerto Rico. Can i just not use the oats? what is their purpose? Can i use evaporated milk? Or what kind of milk should i use? Sorry bout my baking ignorance, im new at baking. :-)

34. Cait

March 1, 2012 at 11:45 am

I saw that a lot of people have used soy milk or almond milk in place of the cows milk and I am going to try that too. Just wondering if you used plain or sweetened and if I would have to make any adjustments if I were to use sweetened.
    Thanks! Can’t wait to try them.

March 1, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I would definitely use unsweetened, but if you wanted to experiment with sweetened I would reduce the sugar by 2 or 3 Tbsp to start!

35. Tara

January 17, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I only have quick oats on hand (NOT instant). I wonder how that would turn out…

36. ahoebee

January 12, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Anyone tried making these with agave or no sugar at all? And has anyone used a non-GMO oil like olive oil?

37. Pingback: Toronto Naturopathic Services

38. Pingback: food info from Ukraine

39. Joy B

December 31, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I wish I had read the comments before I made these!! Because now I wish I had substituted coconut milk – I bet that would make them taste even better. I would also love to know about substituting the brown sugar – it was more than I like to use for my toddler. But they sure do taste good!!!! I made a double batch because 1 yam came out to 2 cups. And then it yielded 92 mini muffins!! OMG! :) Going in the freezer!

40. Pingback: android recipes

41. Omni

December 8, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Just made your sweet potato muffins, yum! My 11 mo old is allergic to dairy and eggs so I used almond milk instead of milk and 3 tbsp water, 3 tbsp oil and 2 tsp of baking powder instead of the 2 eggs and they came out great! Also did half whole wheat flour:) I love weelicious!

42. Pingback: cpa study guide

43. Christina

November 26, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Has anyone tried making this as a loaf? I have 19+ kids to feed and know they’ll want more than one muffin. Several loaves would be much easier to make and slice :)

44. Pingback: short shaggy hairstyles

45. Audrey

October 16, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I love this recipe – my toddler (and husband) request it often! Also, I have substituted eggs with applesauce and cow milk with coconut milk….and still so TASTY!

thanks!

46. Michelle

October 1, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Just made these with some left over sweet potatoes I made and pureed for baby food. EXCELLENT!!!!!

47. Sheva

September 13, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Hi Catherine,
    If I omit the rolled oats to I have to add anything to replace that? My muffins looked all nice and beautiful and a few minutes later they seemed to have sucken in! I also out them in large muffin cups (didn’t have mini) what do u suggest?

48. Pingback: » Lauguage of Friendship Blog Candy!!!

49. smruti

August 26, 2011 at 2:57 am

Made these last night but substituted pumpkin and steel cut oats for sweet potatoes and old fashioned oats. Big hit with the kiddoes and parents alike!

50. katieg

August 13, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I just tried these and they are GREAT! My husband and twin toddlers loved them, too.

51. Pingback: The Easy Life… « Keri Quite Contrary

52. jellyjello

August 4, 2011 at 1:47 pm

just made these today and they are delicious! and so cute =) will make again with coconut milk, good idea=)

53. Theresa787

August 1, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Update- I just made these again (using 1/3 c whole wheat pastry flour + 2/3 c all-purpose flour), this time I substituted whole milk with left over coconut milk (from the sweet potato and coconut milk puree recipe). The muffins came out light and moist. Yum!

54. Monique

July 1, 2011 at 7:03 am

What is a good substitute for brown sugar? agave? How much? – Thank you.

55. Theresa787

June 22, 2011 at 6:33 pm

These were delicious, thank you so much. My 16-month old twins asked for more after the finished their first, second and third muffins!

To respond to those asking about wheat flour- I used 1/3 c whole wheat pastry flour and 2/3 c all-purpose flour (instead of the 1 c all-purpose flour) and they came out moist and light.

I was wondering if anyone has tried substituting ripe bananas or another ripe fruit instead of the brown sugar? I’m trying to sneak in fruits and veggies into everything.

56. esther

May 31, 2011 at 10:42 am

You think you can make these with butternut squash? We can’t get sweet potatoes where I live….just batatas.

• Rebeca @ The Average Parent

November 6, 2011 at 1:56 pm

i was wondering the same thing. i made them with pumpkin and they were delicious. I bet squash would be just as good.

57. BeansMama

May 18, 2011 at 9:22 pm

p.s. my super-picky 19 month old just asked for “more cupcake!” – this recipe is a keeper!

58. BeansMama

May 18, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I made these as 12 regular-sized muffins and had a little batter left over that I decided to throw into my waffle iron and… O!M!G! This makes amazing waffles! You’re a genius. :)

59. Hosgerel

May 11, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Hi Catherine,
    Can you tell me how you thaw these mini muffins? I made these for my 15 months old son and he loved them. I froze the rest.
    Thanks,

60. wforman7

May 10, 2011 at 12:37 pm

what kind of oil did you use – olive oil or canola oil?

thank you!

May 10, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Canola :)

61. Jen

April 30, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I made these yesterday. Kids loved them, but I think I like them even more. Made one batch just to try them, and made 2 more batches today with the rest of the sweet potatoes I had cooked. YUM!

62. Ana

April 26, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I made this last night while I was reheating dinner after work!! It was fast and easy. I used a regular muffing pan and after 25 minutes they were done.

DS doesn’t eat any veggies right now unless they are hidden. He doesn’t like sweet potatoes but loved these muffins. It was the reward for finishing all his dinner!!

63. Pingback: Coquitlam Mommy

64. Pingback: Sweet Potato Muffins | Nutritious Recipes for Babies, Toddlers, and Beyond

65. littlemama

March 29, 2011 at 9:33 am

Thanks for another terrific recipe! Our family loved these:) Wanted to let you know I linked to this post on our blog, Cooking and Reading – The Perfect Combination. Thanks again!

66. dawn

March 28, 2011 at 2:37 pm

These are great!!! My 3 year old daughter said “mmmmm, mommy you make good muffins!”

67. Amy

March 23, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Made these yesterday and the kids (3 year old & 1.75 yr old) & I love them!! Very easy to make also. Thank you!!

68. jamie

March 23, 2011 at 7:40 pm

I’m dying to make these tonight but ran out of brown sugar. Can i use agave?If so how much?

March 24, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Brown sugar vs agave is very different because one is a solid and the other is a liquid. So the consistency might come out different. You can test it with agave but you will have to incorporate it with the wet ingredients. I would use a 1/3 cup for it testing it first. If you feel like they are not too sweet, you can take it up too 1/2 cup. let me know how it goes! :)

69. Jamie Lynn

March 22, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Just made these out of leftover baked sweet potatoes, subbed white whole wheat flour for the regular flour, and applesauce for half of the oil… and downed half a dozen of them myself before they were even cool. Oops. :)

70. Kim Harse

March 22, 2011 at 2:23 pm

These turned out great. I used pureed pumpkin instead of sweet potatoes!

71. Nicole Poirier

March 21, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I made these for my 17 month old and she said YUM and asked for more, she had 4 for snack time! I made them with whole wheat flour and turbinado sugar cause I was out of brown sugar. They are so yummy. Keep the good recipies coming!!

72. Mary

March 21, 2011 at 11:57 am

my 9 month old son loves these!!! :) we are trying to get him to put on some weight, but still eat healthy. these totally fit the bill! i used whole milk and instant oats. my husband and i love them too! thanks for the great recipe!

73. Ashly

March 21, 2011 at 9:30 am

Can I use instant oats?

March 21, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Unfortunately you will have to use Old Fashioned Oats to come out with the right consistency

• Ashly

March 28, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I used the instant oats and it came out okay but the texture was a little off. I am going to make some again tonight and use wheat flour instead.

74. Jo Roy

March 21, 2011 at 9:04 am

Our grandson has multiple food allergies and is also a somewhat finicky…nary a vegetable passes his little lips.
    This recipe sounds great…except his oat allergic. Can you think of any substitution for the oats? We are familiar with egg replacement.
    Thanks.

March 21, 2011 at 1:54 pm

You can just leave out the oats and sub in 1/3 cup of whole wheat or white flour :)

75. angelajo

March 21, 2011 at 7:54 am

Can wheat flour be used instead? What about instant oats?

March 21, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Yes, 1/3 cup :)

• angela johnson

March 21, 2011 at 7:46 pm

1/3 cup instant oats instead of 1 cup for the old fash oats???? Wheat flour amount the same as regular flour?

Thanks and sorry for my confusion!!!

March 22, 2011 at 2:05 pm

No worries, use 1/3 cup wheat flour instead of 1 cup of old fashioned oats. Unfortunately instant oats would not have the right texture as old fashioned.

76. Norah

March 20, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I made a double batch with home canned sweet potatoes that I could find no other use for and they are delicious. They are also much lower in sugar than most recipes so thank you!!

77. Sue

March 20, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I made these to have for a snack for my 16 month old, but hubby swiped four, and I think I had about the same. Delicious! I hope E likes them as much as his parents do!

78. Tammie

March 20, 2011 at 6:35 pm

It’s raining cats and dogs in LA so I decided to make these w/my 2yr old son and they turned out AWESOME. I used the last lonely organic pureed sweet potato from Thanksgiving and they’re perfect.. not too sweet! Thanks Catherine!

79. Larissa

March 20, 2011 at 12:55 pm

These are great! I’m from Texas and we add pecans to everything. So, I added pecan pieces to this recipe and it’s a great addition.
    I used regular size muffin tins and baked for 25 mins. as suggested and they came out as they should.
    It’s a sweet potato week at our house. I made the muffins, the biscuits, and later I’m making sweet potato “fries” for a late lunch. Thanks for sharing all of these great recipes, Catherine!

80. Rachel Gilman

March 19, 2011 at 11:28 am

Made these for my 14 mo old and he loves them!

81. Cassandra

March 19, 2011 at 7:31 am

These were really yummy!!! I will be making them again for sure!

82. Rose

March 18, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Mins not mind

83. Rose

March 18, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Whipped these up last night “for the kids” ;-) but my husband and I can’t stop eating them! Used the microwave suggestion made earlier and it worked great. I made mini and regular sized – the larger ones took an extra 3 or 4 mind.

84. Maggie Webster

March 18, 2011 at 11:49 am

I am going to try and make a healthy version of this and use rice flour, grape seed oil, almond milk and some other natural sweetener (maybe maple syrup) instead of the brown sugar! I will try these alternatives and let you know how they taste!!

• angelajo

March 21, 2011 at 7:52 am

How’d they turn out, Maggie?

85. Catherine

March 18, 2011 at 10:20 am

I made these last night. I made 12 regular size muffins and baked them for 25 minutes as recommended and they came out great. Another great Weelicious recipe that I will be making again and again.

• Jennifer

March 18, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I was wondering about using a regular pan. Thanks for sharing!!

86. liz

March 18, 2011 at 10:18 am

really good!-my 19mo old son loves them–very easy and I had all ingredients on hand=perfect! (i used coconut oil which worked great)

87. Jill

March 17, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Love sweet potatos and new recipies for them! Can’t wait to taste them!

88. Wendy

March 17, 2011 at 4:44 pm

If I would to substitue milk with soy milk, will it still come out the same?

• Amy

March 22, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Yes! And rice, almond, etc. will work as well. We do it all the time and it works out great!

• jessica

April 24, 2011 at 1:34 am

Rice milk worked well and these were delicious!! Just enough sweetness. They taste very wholesome and moist!

89. Shannon

March 17, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I made these today and substituted flax for the eggs. They were delicious.

90. yeni

March 17, 2011 at 2:02 pm

These looks great! I may venture to add a little bit of grated carrot too. yum.

• angelajo

March 21, 2011 at 7:53 am

How much carrot did you add? How’d it turn out??

91. Lisa

March 17, 2011 at 8:11 am

Kathleen,

You could use a flax egg(1 TBS. Flaxmeal and 3 TBS water) and non-dairy milk (I always use almond milk when I’m baking) and it turns out delicious.

92. Kathleen

March 16, 2011 at 9:07 pm

My kids have allergies to eggs and dairy. Is there a substitution for these in this recipe? Thanks!

• Lora D.

March 17, 2011 at 12:40 pm

My son is also allergic to eggs and dairy and I just use 1/4 cup applesauce in place of eggs and almond milk for the milk. Thanks to Catherine for providing yet another healthy and delicious recipe!!!

93. Jamie M..

March 16, 2011 at 8:55 pm

When you bake your sweet potatos do you wrap them in foil?

94. Maya

March 16, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Wow, this is great! I almost always have sweet potatoes left over when I roast them for dinner. Now I know what to do with them! I usually buy jewel or garnet yams. Thanks for the recipe!

95. Jaime

March 16, 2011 at 4:00 pm

If I make regular sized muffins, (I don’t yet own mini muffin tins – but I intend to get some soon…) how long would I bake them?

March 16, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I would try adding 10 minutes to the cooking time and make sure to check with a tooth pick that it comes out clean to be sure they’re finished!

96. Lauren

March 16, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Oh gosh, these are tasty. My daughter will be lucky to get any at all!

97. Suzie

March 16, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Catherine I was wondering if you could share the name of your sweet potato vendor or maybe the type of sweet potatoes he sells. That way I could see if anyone at my local farmer’s market sells it. Thank you. I cannot wait to try this. My daughter loves “frosting-free cupcakes”

98. CARMA

March 16, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Do i see OATS in the muffins?

How long would you cook these in a STANDARD muffin tin?

• jane

March 16, 2011 at 1:21 pm

There are oats in the recipe, second ingredient. I have made something similar in larger size muffin tin and they cooked for 15-18 minutes.

99. Linda H

March 16, 2011 at 11:08 am

I substitute a large jar of sweet potato baby food in a pinch. Also may be a nice twist to add a bit of crushed pineapple.

100. Amy

March 16, 2011 at 9:58 am

My family loves muffins! I make a huge batch of many different kinds and then freeze them to use through out the month!
    I am going to try this recipe soon!

101. mollyjpierce

March 16, 2011 at 9:11 am

Catherine,

I know this is ridiculous, but if you have a minute would you mind telling me how many sweet potatoes or yams you roast for your week? I do the same thing, but I never seem to make enough!

Thanks so much for your blog. I just discovered it and I’m enjoying it so much! My two boys love the new treats as well. :)

March 16, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I usually roast 5-6 yams/sweet potatoes a week. Hubby eats 3 and the kids and I usually have 3 between us :) They’re so good for you and delicious! I love mashing them with cinnamon and coconut milk for the kids.

• mollyjpierce

March 18, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Thanks so much! :)

102. Julie

March 16, 2011 at 9:00 am

Can unsweetened applesauce be subbed for the oil? These look great.

March 16, 2011 at 11:03 am

I haven’t tried apple sauce in this recipe. You could try it, but the texture will be different.

• jane

March 16, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I have been trying to find a great breakfast muffin for my 13 month old son. I will most definitely try this.

In testing other muffins I have found that replacing oil with applesauce does change the texture as Catherine said, and makes them a lot less moist. Also my holistic nutritionist friend says NOT to skip the oil for kids because they need it, but to use a great quality oil. She recommends coconut oil but it is very expensive. I use grapeseed. My friend also says that you can grind oats to make oat flour! Has anyone tried this?

• Cecilia

March 21, 2011 at 11:42 pm

I subbed banana for the oil and they turned out really wonderful and moist!

103. Lynn

March 16, 2011 at 8:18 am

I too was wondering if an ingredient(s) had been left out of the recipe since the picture definitely looks like it includes oats or nuts or some solid piece in the muffin.

104. Ann

March 16, 2011 at 7:46 am

Oh, great idea! I’ve been making muffins for breakfast lately and trying to make them healthy for my newly picky toddler. These should go over well! Thank you.

105. Venessa

March 16, 2011 at 7:20 am

When you say sweet potato are you referimg to the white ones? I thought maybe you meant the orange ones which are yams (just referred to as sweet potatoes).

March 16, 2011 at 11:02 am

It’s a tough call when trying to explain the difference between yams and sweet potatoes. You can use sweet potatoes or yams for the recipe. I actually prefer the deep orange yams (I’ll add that to the recipe)!

• KG

March 16, 2011 at 9:49 am

Real “yams” are usually not sold in regular grocery stores. This was taken from http://www.loc.gov:

“Today the U.S. Department of Agriculture requires labels with the term ‘yam’ to be accompanied by the term ‘sweet potato.’ Unless you specifically search for yams, which are usually found in an international market, you are probably eating sweet potatoes!”

106. Lisa T

March 16, 2011 at 3:45 am

Perfect timing Ive been looking for a sweet potato muffin and sweet potato bread recipe since trying your sweet potato biscuits. Was so supprised I liked them so much because Ive only had sweet potato once before with chicken and hated it. Ill only be using it in sweet dishes from now on.

107. Jamie

March 16, 2011 at 1:22 am

When I go to the grocery store thesweet potatos I find look almost white and the yams better resimble what I thought sweet potatos looked like. Whatsthe diffrence?

March 16, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Such a great question! Yams are really what you’re looking for, but whenever I try to explain the difference I find that it only confuses people more. My chef friend convinced me to buy oriental yams at the farmers market this weekend which are red on the outside and white inside and they were sweeter then any yam I had ever tried. If you’re buying them at your grocery, I would just look for whatever is the darkest orange color inside. Feel free to ask the person in the produce aisle what’s the sweetest too!

108. Keiko Koizumi

March 16, 2011 at 1:13 am

Can I substitute garnet yam or is that totally different? I happen to have some on hand…

March 16, 2011 at 11:01 am

Yes, they’ll be incredible!

109. Pippa

March 16, 2011 at 1:12 am

Hi, you can also make sweet potato mash in the microwave. Rinse the potato, pierce with a fork and microwave on high for 2 mins on each side (may need more if huge). Then wrap in foil and leave for 5 mins until heat has spread evenly. Skin should come off easily with a fork.

Also – could you use sweet potato puree from a can (if one was using up store cupboard ingredients?)

Agree about the oats – this would be a good addition – please let us know!

Thanks

110. Andrea

March 16, 2011 at 1:02 am

These look great! One question. In the photo, the muffins look like they maybe have oats in them, but I don’t see oats on the ingredient list. Am I missing something? Thanks.

• Enne

February 14, 2012 at 10:37 pm

left out the oats? maybe its a stock photo or an ‘adapted recipe?’ kind of a vital ingredient to have made the mistake of leaving it off… another ‘pioneer woman’ fake mom blogger?

• Kara

March 16, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Any word on the oats? I am dying to make these now!! Also, how many sweet potatoes make up the puree for this recipe? YUM!!!

March 16, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Yes! I just remade them and they’re so good! 7 people in the house gobbling them up :)

• Kara

April 5, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I made these this afternoon and my 4 year old LOVES them!!! I used steel cut oats (all I had) and they added a little crunch:) Thank you!!!

March 16, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Oh my, oh my!!! I tested this recipe 10 times and I just saw that I left them out too. I’m retesting them right now just to make sure! Hold till noon :)

• Jessica

April 6, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Has anyone tried whole wheat or other flour in place of the white flour? Or agave instead of brown sugar?

• Jen

April 30, 2011 at 12:21 pm

i used whole wheat flour. they taste great to me. and are moist

• Libby

April 28, 2011 at 11:09 am

I just made them with 1/2 c. whole wheat flour and 1/2 c. all purpose flour. They were fantastic and came out really well. Next time I might try more whole wheat flour. I also used regular muffin tins and baked for 20 minutes.

• Jeannette

March 16, 2011 at 10:04 am

I was wondering the same thing.

• Jennifer S

March 16, 2011 at 6:20 am

I was wondering the same thing, I would love if there were oats in this recipe.

• Heather

March 16, 2011 at 1:57 am

I was just going to make the same comment! Wondering as well.

111. kristi

March 16, 2011 at 12:58 am

Can’t wait to make these. I think my 11 month old son will love them. When he was 7 months old he was eating sweet potatoes so much that his skin actually turned a bit orange. I didn’t realize it until I had some photos of him taken. Oops! He sure does love sweet potatoes. This recipe sounds wonderful.

112. Allison

March 16, 2011 at 12:43 am

Oh how I pray my daughter will eat these. She loves muffins but is the worst eater on the planet. I need to get some good foods in her!