Summer Fruit Gazpacho

Summer Fruit Gazpacho

Yum

My inspirations for weelicious recipes come from a lot of different places. For some, they're simply based on a food I see at our farmers' market, for others it can be a dish I love from a restaurant or a food memory I had as a kid that I now find myself craving (and possibly want to make a bit healthier). In the case of this Summer Fruit Gazpacho, my muses were the mint growing wild in our garden and all of the naturally sweet fruits sitting on our kitchen counter that I was afraid would spoil. Traditional gazpacho is a cold soup made with tomatoes and other vegetables. This version is completely different, but I wanted to call it a gazpacho because I love the idea of a cold soup during these hot summer months and truthfully....I just dig the word "gazpacho"!

The morning after I made it and let it chill overnight, the kids and I sat on the kitchen floor armed with three spoons and an enormous bowl of this refreshing, sweet soup. There's only one word to explain what happened at our impromptu picnic we tried the first refreshing spoonful: de-voured. We finished the whole batch before the day was over.

Soup for breakfast you might ask? After taking your first taste of this one, it won't seem at all strange to eat in the morning or any time of day you want to serve it. Especially when it's a nutritious as this!

Summer Fruit Gazpacho  (Serves 4)

• 6 cups cantaloupe, peeled & seeded, cut into chunks
  • 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chiffonade
  • 1 cup strawberries, stemmed & quartered
  • 1 peach, seeded & diced
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1/2 cup yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon honey

1. 1. Place cantaloupe chunks into a food processor and puree.
  2. 2. In a large bowl, mix together the mint, strawberries, peach, and blueberries.
  3. 3. In a separate small bowl, combine the yogurt and honey.
  4. 4. Evenly divide the cantaloupe puree into small bowls, top with mixed fruit and add a dollop of the honey yogurt sauce on top.
  6. * If you want to make this dish vegan, replace the yogurt and honey with soy yogurt and agave
Summer Fruit Gazpacho

Comments

1. Pingback: Summer Soiree: 4 Cool Summer Soups - Funky Recipe - Meals - Holidays - Special Occasions

2. Pingback: Chilled Cucumber Mint Yogurt Soup Recipe - The Lemon Bowl

3. Pingback: Salmorejo Cordobes - Creamy Spanish Gazpacho | Cold Tomato Soup Recipe

4. Pingback: CSA and Juice Feast for August 6th | Something Good

5. Marry

July 3, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Made this this morning and my only regret was that the kitchen floor wasn’t clean enough to sit down and eat there ’cause that sounds fun. This was so delicious with the fruit all in season from my local farmers market. I think I felt the cells in my feet singing. Thanks for a lovely breakfast idea.

6. Pingback: Fantastic Fridays | My Wise Mom

7. Pingback: Grilled Gazpacho Recipe – Classy or Geeky? You decide. | Apron Strings

8. Ralph

January 6, 2012 at 6:30 am

I can’t find carrot soup!!!

9. Jenn

July 15, 2011 at 10:42 am

Delicious! I always have the “cold soups” on the menu when we go on Cruises. Strawberry, melon, peach, sour cherry…. Mmmm!!

Katie– the peach appears to have the skins left on. Healthier that way anyways! :)

10. Katie Trumbauer

July 13, 2011 at 4:33 pm

DO you skin the peach as well or leave the skin on ?

• Bonny

July 20, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I think from the photo, it is obvious that the peach is left unskinned. Plus the skin has all the nutrients.

11. Stephanie

July 13, 2011 at 3:05 pm

How long do you think this will last in the fridge?

• Aparecida

February 5, 2014 at 2:45 am

This is my first visit to your blog and I was delighted to see the photo of those loevly melons!! whilst staying in Provence last summer we included a platter of thinly sliced melon with each meal – I have never tasted anything so sweet and delicious – it brought back happy memories of long lunches on our terrace looking out to Mont Ventoux

12. yeni

July 13, 2011 at 7:34 am

Love the photo. It totally represents summer, bright, colorful, and fun (as does the recipe)!

13. Kendall B

July 12, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Any thought on a substitute for the cantaloupe? I am reeeeaallly allergic. :( No honeydew either, though strangely, watermelon is ok. Watermelon seems like it would be too thin, and maybe a little grainy.
    I really love this idea and want to try it! Thanks!

• Meredith

July 12, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I have had watermelon gazpacho and it is wonderful…I think it would be a good substitution…

14. nilong vyas

July 12, 2011 at 9:11 am

this would probably be really good with sweetened marscapone cheese on top too….not so healthy but delicious.

15. Tanya C

July 12, 2011 at 9:07 am

Looks yummy! And if you use soy yogurt and agave as substitutes it’s vegan! Thanks!

July 12, 2011 at 10:33 am

I wanted to click the vegan section, but I was worried that someone might say “but there’s yogurt on top”. Maybe I’ll add the note about soy yogurt and agave, great suggestion. It’s so refreshing and delicious!

• Lauren K

July 15, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I’m making this for breakfast tomorrow…were going vegan so thanks for soy yogurt tip.

16. Holly N.