Quick Tip- Cooking Beets

Not exactly sure how to roast a beet? This super simple method will have you making sweet beets to eat on their own, in salads, even in red beet cupcakes and red beet pancakes!

Comments

1. Pingback: good food guide

2. Pingback: and my life goes on

3. Pingback: A bit of a drinking problem… « simonscookbook

4. Kevin (BBQ Smoker Site)

July 24, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Excellent video! We’ve just started roasting beets, and are now processing some of them through our juicer.

5. Jeanne

July 23, 2011 at 8:45 am

THANK YOU!! This was incredibly helpful! Would be great if you could do this for other “scary to cook” vegetables for novices out there like myself. Maybe artichokes? Fennel? Rutabagas?

6. Candy

July 22, 2011 at 11:02 pm

my dad always added beets to our salads as kids but they were canned. when i grew up (ha ha) i learned this trick. i wrap my beets individually with a little olive oil and kosher salt. i do these all the time. everyone loves them and my husband LOVES the tops. it’s his favorite thing. i like the grill tip, will try sometime.

7. SaraBeth Blankenship

July 22, 2011 at 9:01 pm

You should do this for artichokes too!

8. Klee

July 22, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Thank you!

9. Barbara

July 22, 2011 at 11:49 am

I can’t see anything :(

10. jellyjello

July 22, 2011 at 11:14 am

so easy!! i too was afraid of beets because i didnt knw how to cook them and have been wanting to make the beet pancakes! so now i can! cant wait to try it! thankyou!!

11. Shana

July 22, 2011 at 11:05 am

Since it’s summer – and who wants to turn on the oven? – you can make these on the grill too. I wrap each beet individually and throw them on the grill when we are having steak or chicken, and they are usually done by the time we are done eating, so like 45 minutes or so. I don’t plan to use them at dinner, but have them ready for other meals later in the week. I like doing it this way because I’m not standing around waiting an hour or more for the beets to cook, it keeps the house cool, and we are making the most of the hot grill, since we use charcoal, and it’s a hassle to get it going!

• Alicia

July 23, 2011 at 9:13 am

Excellent idea! We grill all time (we live in the South, so it’s too hot for the oven right now). I’m going to try this tonight! :)

12. Sarah

July 22, 2011 at 11:00 am

AWESOME! I was one of those that never attempted fresh beets (had jarred beets) because of the reasons you mentioned.

Now I will. Thanks for being so awesome :)